Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think about this idea....

Most machinery's maintenance is based on hours in service. Therefore same should hold true for a car, instead of using mileage oil changes especially, should be based on time in service. I'm using the Trip #2 computer to monitor this. I reset it on my last oil change. I was thinking about an oil change every 50 hours... perhaps 100.

Thoughts? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
243 Posts
That is an excellant idea, actually truckers and the stationary engines i.e. generators use this method.

But in an automobile, there are some more factors, like no of cold starts, amount of idling and avarage speed, all these contributing moisture and contaminents to the oil and deteriorating it.

But time of engine run could definetly be a good parameters to determine next oil change.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The question is how much time.... 50 hours.... 75 hours.... 100 hours? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I would think somewhere around 100 hours.

I got there by thinking that my average speed in my neighborhood is 35 (Actually 34.1) MPH times 100 = 3500 miles which is a decent interval IMO.

And of course if your average speed is 50 then 50x100=5000 miles which isn't bad either for highway driving. And you would have to do a lot of Hwy driving to get your speed up to that,

and if your average speed is 18 MPH x 100hours = 1800 miles which may not be bad for lotsa stop and go.

Course, Syn could double this to 200 hours...............

I guess what I like about it is the obvious mileage adjustment based on hwy or stop and go.

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I vote for 150 hrs. I drive mostly city nowadays since its a commute to school. Speed limits on the street is 35mph, I drive anywhere between 30 and 45, not a lot of stop and go traffic. When I fill up on gas, the trip meter which I reset each time shows my average speed to be about 20-22mph. 150hrs of that would amount to ~3500 miles, which is a reasonable interval if you are using normal motor oil.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I get the idea and think it isn't a bad one using hours like other systems use.
Although if you want to stick with your warranty, they say every 3750miles.
Just thought I would add that in there.
Chez

1 - 7 of 7 Posts