Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two questions:

First, when you people go to get your oil change, do you take the MO to Nissan or your down-the-street jiffy lube or what have you? I'm thinking of switching it to synthetic on the second oil change (mind you, I have 2500 miles till the first oil change is due, but no sense in not planning ahead.. :)

Second: I was reading in the service manual that the tire pressure sensors are battery operated RF transmitters. Anyone know what happens when the batteries die in them? :)

-marius

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
The Murano uses a standard Nissan oil filter, its a common size that the Jiffy Lube will also have an aftermarket part for. So, for an oil change, any shop will do. I suggest you not change to synthetic until around 10,000 miles though (or your 2nd oil change) to give the engine time to break in on the dino juice.

As for the TPMS, good question, I was wondering that myself!

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I put Amsoil 0w30 in at 2500 miles, along with the big dual bypass/full filter system, which effectively replaced the teacup size nissan filter. Now at 9600, haven't changed it yet.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Can you take pics of the bypass set-up you have? I was thinking about doing the same thing but cant really find room.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I will. It may be a while. Mine is mounted over the battery using the battery holder bolts as the mounting points. PM me with an email address for the picture.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
about 10 times the filtering capacity, removes particles down to 1 micron, and water, allows longer drain intervals without risk of harming engine. Adds 1 1/2 quarts to the oil capacity.
Read more at amsoil.com. Filter unit is model BMK 13.
This is not for the faint of heart!

·
Registered
487 Posts
I would take it to a Nissan dealer, but that's just me. The Jiffy Lube (or whatever) should be able to do a change just as easily, though they'll probably put a Fram filter in it ;)

·
101 Posts
After I got too lazy to do oil & filter changes myself, I used to take all my vehicles to Jiffy Lube. Then a friend of mine took his car to one and they forgot to tighten the oil pan bolt which later came out on the highway draining all the oil out of his engine!! :eek: Fortunately the engine died before it seized due to the drop in pressure.

Curious, I checked-out Jiffy Lube on the web (do a search on 'Jiffy Lube complaints') and found lots of nightmare stories. Here's one site:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/jiffy_lube.htm

Now I'm sure there are upstanding Jiffy Lube shops out there, so you be the judge. As for me, I have since stopped going to them or any fast lube joint.

Since my MO is new, I go to the dealership for my O&F changes (I'm using a synthetic blend). Down the road (after the warranty expires), I plan on getting off my butt and doing them changes myself using synthetic.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Another little known benefit of a quality synthetic is that the engine will (be protevted) run a lot longer without oil! This is because a synthetic oil film will not break down like "dinojuice" under conditions of excessive heat.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
ekaxel said:
Another little known benefit of a quality synthetic is that the engine will (be protevted) run a lot longer without oil! This is because a synthetic oil film will not break down like "dinojuice" under conditions of excessive heat.
I think you've been watching too many Duralube commercials. :D The truth is that yes synthetics probably adhere better to cylinder walls, but not significant enough to prevent damage due to low oil levels. I doubt any engine will survive when run with no oil (unless by chance it stalls out first)!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
ekaxel said:
Amsoil has documented many instances of this.
Ok I believe you that they might make this claim. Is there a link I can read about it? I am curious for more details.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I don't have it at the tips of my fingers. Because I am an Amsoil Assocate Dealer, I get their magazine which has this kind of stuff from time to time. I dn't keep the magazines. Suggest you go to amsoil.com and search there.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
ekaxel said:
I don't have it at the tips of my fingers. Because I am an Amsoil Assocate Dealer, I get their magazine which has this kind of stuff from time to time. I dn't keep the magazines. Suggest you go to amsoil.com and search there.
I did, and I doubt any oil website will claim you can safely run an engine without oil (even for a few seconds). I hope you do not tell your customers that you can do that! Amsoil is an excellent product, but no engine can run safely if it suffers total oil loss, such as if the drain plug fell out. Please do not think I am bashing, I am just pointing out that it has been proven that nothing will protect an engine for an extended period if it suffers total oil loss. I've seen all the commercials for Duralube, Prolong, Tribotech, where they claim to run an engine without oil. I believe one of the reputable car mags did the same test - the engines seized immediately after being drained of oil. Maybe these oils protect the engine for a split second longer than the dino juice, but not enough to make a difference I would wager.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Right. I don't think anyone in their right mind would claim it, but the Amsoil dealer magazine has published a lot of letters from owners who have lost their Amsoil without damaging their engine.
I hope it never happens to me!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts