Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, first of all, unlike many people here I am by no means a car enthusiast. Which means I know almost nothing about automobiles. Which is why I love this site because I learn so much about the MO, which I absolutely love!

With that said, I have a question about oil changes. I always here that the oil should be changed every 3,000 miles. Even when I brought my MO in for the first oil change they put the sticker in my window with the mileage to return set at another 3000 miles. My problem is, the Service Manual says you only need the oil changed every 3,750 miles. What gives? I've only been bringing it in every 3750 for the oil changes. Just dropped it off at the dealership this morning for the 7500 service.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Dont worry about 'know-anything-about-automobile- thing...

you will learn as time passes.

Anyway, follow whatever the manufacturer recomendation, every 3750 in this case for the MO.

There is no '100% correct answer' when one should change the oil.
Some people use synthetic oil and they claim the car need oil change at every 5000 miles or even more..
Newer european cars use extended oil change interval, around every 7000 - 10,000 miles oil change.
Mercedes benz have an 'adaptive system' in which it will analyze your oil condition real time and tell you when it needs oil change.
Jiffy lube technician told you the oil change has to be done every 3K

In short, usualy the oil filer is the weak link.
Synthetic oil can last long, but the oil filter will go first and hence you need to change it every 3-5K anyway.

Hope this helps..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Does anyone know what type of oil Nissan uses for their service? I just looked at my service receipt from the 3,000 mile and it says Exxon Superflo. I suppose what they use is probably dependant on which brand the specific dealerships can get a better deal on.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
The type of oil the dealership uses is whatever they can purchase for the lowest price. All conventional oils of the same viscosity are basically the same - they will protect your engine very well.

I use 5000 mile interval oil changes with Mobil One and Nissan OEM filter.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
My dealer uses Valvoline synthetic 5W30.
I change mine between 3750 and 4375 miles.

The owners manual states you must change at least every 7500. I wouldn't go that long even with synthetic.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Eric and tyler are right...

Dealers will use any oil they can get the best incentive from (biggest discount when buying bulk).
My dealer use castrol gtx.

You can always bring your own oil of your choice to the dealer.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
my dealer also uses Castrol GTX.

BTW, he uses 10W30 down here in Ft Myers Florida.

Homer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts