Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Enjoying the ride…
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my Mo the sticker on the windshield says it has 5W30 Oil Grade, mileage and date. I went to the service and change the oil today. On the receipt and the sticker now it says 10w30. What is the difference??? Is it better or worth? Which one is better to use in the future, I have 20K on my Mo? Sorry for the dumb questions I used to know what that mean but I forgot:(

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Both are OK for the Murano.

The first number is an indication of how well the oil flows in very cold weather.
The second number is an indication of how well the oil flows in very hot weather.
5 weight flows better than 10w.

I use 5W30 simply because I believe it gives the same protection as 10W, but gives better MPG.

Homer

·
Registered
522 Posts
On the flip side, I always use 10w-30 because with a narrower viscosity range they use a thicker base stock and add fewer viscosity modifiers, which makes the mix more stable and resistant to thermal breakdown.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
MightyMo

And down here we sure don't worry about low temp pour point, Those old "Saybolt Viscosity Seconds", just don't matter. Remember, all that neato stuff from Lab? GRIP :D

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Both 5w30 and 10w30 are fine for your Murano. No worries.

·
5,268 Posts
There is really not much difference between 5 and 10. I've been using Mobil 1, 5W - 30 for same reason as Homer - lower viscosity at low temperatures and better gas milage. But it really does not matter much. Which ever you use MO will be OK.

·
Enjoying the ride…
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the replies. Is it a significant difference in the gas consumption?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Anyone here using Synthetic?

I use 5w50 Mobile 1 in the Z, and was planning on using it in the Mo as well. My wife doesnt drive like I do, so its not as big an issue, but I am a fan of Synthetic oil...

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
5w50 might be appropriate for a really hot climate, but I think for less than racetrack driving in the Murano, 5w30 Mobil One should be fine.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well, it does get hot in TX. In fact, the 5 is probably way too low.

·
5,268 Posts
What is hot for us humans, even in Texas :D is nothing for engine. 5 means the oil flows better in ambient temperature. Once engine reaches operating temperature and under normal driving conditions, it does not really matter. Unless you are on a race track and drive accordingly. but it would be a different topic alltogether....

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I my previous car I would swap between 5W-30 and 10W-30. During the winter starts I could hear a difference in starting a very cold engine with 5W-30 vs. 10W-30.

However what I don't understand was in my previous car the manual called out for 5W-30 only when temps were below 60°F.

That didn't make any sense to me given at some point during engine starting with 5W-30 the temps obviously went above 60°F.

Maybe someone can clarify.

However in the MO its been 5W-30 all year round.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts