Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to buy a new oil filter to do my first oil change at 1000 miles but the Wix dealer had 2 different part #'s so I went on line and they show a new one for the 2005 model yaer compared to 03-04. I then called Pinnacle Nissan and they said they also have 2 part #'s and didn't really have any information on which one was the best. They gave me Nissan part# 15208-65F00 and 15208-9E000. One is extremely smaller than the other so if anyone know's any info on this please let me know. Thanks in advance.:cool:

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I know for certain the 65F00 is the one I use on my 03 Murano, and is most likely the same filter used on 05 models. In fact, I have found that as long as it screws on, most Nissan filters fit the VQ engine, since I used a couple from my 97 Maxima on the Murano at the start as well (those were the older larger filters).

I'm not sure what the part number is, but the older larger filters also fit, and if I had a choice, I would get those since they have more filtering capacity. However, there is no evidence the smaller filter performs worse, so I'd be comfortable with any OEM filter.

Stick with Nissan OEM for the best quality, although you won't go wrong with Wix either.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Just looked up the 9E000, its the same filter used on the 350Z, as well as older Nissans with the 3.5L V6 (Pathfinder, Maxima). Its also used on all Nissan 4-cyl engines, and the older 3.0L V6 on the Maxima.

I am 99.9% certain these will also fit the Murano. They are called the "long" filters due to their larger size compared to the 65F00 "short" filters.

You can google the two filters, there are some discussions regarding which is better, but I think they are both equivalent (i.e. both are excellent).

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Ok last post I promise.

Reading a few more posts that came up on the google search, it states that the smaller 65F00 filter is used because of the oil cooler on some VQ engines. The Murano is one of these engines.

That is strange, since I know for sure that I used an old Maxima filter and it fit fine on the Murano. So, I guess we have two choices now.

The nissan specified 65F00 filter (i.e. the short filter). Or the older 9E000 filter, which I know fits. So, its a no brainer, we should all be using the 9E000 filter.

*Remembers he has 4 65F00 filters in a box in his garage* :3:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I wen't into the Wix dealer the guy said you need that filter for your generator. He couldn't believe that one that small was actually for a car engine. I'm going to change the oil tomorrow and I'll see which filter the Mo came from the factory with and then probably stick to that one.:cool:

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Just out of curiosity why would and oil cooler care what the size of the filter area is. If anything you would think that maybe the oil cooler adds pressure drop to the system, but wouldn't a larger filter have more area and therefor less pressure drop. I wonder.?

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
What a small filter...

Another reason why we should change oil at 3,500 miles.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Is the oil cooler somehow on some model somehow mounter closer to the oil filter... the MO doesn't have a oil cooler... right?

I would think going with the longer size filter would offer better filtration... i.e. more surface area and better flow over time.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Eric L. said:
Egads! I was wrong. The 65F00 filter is clearly not as good as the 9E000 filter. See here.

9E000 filter
http://www.motorvate.ca
Did I misread.... both Nissan filter are of good quality.... The two compared side by side are a Nissan and a Fram? I think the end result is that any Nissan filter is better than the "other" filter. The 9E000 has a bit more filtration area.

Am I missing something obvious here?

·
4,994 Posts
GONZO, YES he is showing two Nissan filters. One Nissan is show alone it is the smaller filter and has the paper ends on it. The larger one, the 9000 filter, is shown to the left of a Fram, just ignore the Fram and compare the large Nissan 9000 filter on the left,to the other picture. The point is, the 9000 has better construction than the smaller filter on the other picture, BESIDES being smaller :D

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Gonzo said:
Is the oil cooler somehow on some model somehow mounter closer to the oil filter... the MO doesn't have a oil cooler... right?

I would think going with the longer size filter would offer better filtration... i.e. more surface area and better flow over time.
The Murano does have an oil cooler near the filter mounting area. The concern is that the extra inch or so that the oil cooler takes up will not allow the longer 9E000 filter to fit, but I've used the longer filter, so I know it fits.

·
4,994 Posts
Sounds like their is no reason I should not use the bigger filter. Thanks Don

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
From the looks of it, the 65F00 filter appears to have the same threaded end, same antidrainback gasket (except its black, but notice its still ridged), the same bypass valve as the older 9E000 filter. However, the filter element appears to be "fram-like" for lack of a better term.

I'm sure the smaller filter is still adequate, else we'd be seeing Nissans with engine oil related problems (I have not heard of any oil related problems with the VQ engine, ever, save for a leaking oil pressure sensor every now and then).

Still given the chance, the do it your selfer at home should choose the older 9E000 filters before Nissan stops making them!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I would advise, however for people to try one 9E000 filter before buying a dozen of them. I happened to have an older nissan oem filter (the 9E000) leftover from my 97 Maxima when I did my Murano's first oil change in my garage, and they were the same size except for the height, so I used it.

Note that there might be a reason Nissan specifies the shorter 65F00 for the Murano, but I don't have a reason at the moment, since on my Murano, there was no clearance issue regarding the plastic wheel liner.

The box for the 9E000 does not show any applications for the VQ35DE engine, just the older KA24 and VQ30DE engines. Note I have an old filter purchased years ago, so I would expect the 9E000 box would have applications for the QR25 and 5.6L Endurance V8 engines. However, on the Maxima.org forums, there are several posts saying that the 9E000 fits fine on 2002+ Maximas, which essentially have the same engine as the Murano.

·
4,994 Posts
OK. :D

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
GripperDon said:
GONZO, YES he is showing two Nissan filters. One Nissan is show alone it is the smaller filter and has the paper ends on it. The larger one, the 9000 filter, is shown to the left of a Fram, just ignore the Fram and compare the large Nissan 9000 filter on the left,to the other picture. The point is, the 9000 has better construction than the smaller filter on the other picture, BESIDES being smaller :D
How many pictures do you see? I see two. So the larger one on the left is Nissan OK... but "ignore the Fram" and compare the left to the other picture... but the other picture **IS** the Fram.

Really I thought the of the two pictures one was a Nissan the other not... and the only mention of two Nissan filters was at the very end in the table. I didn't get that the pictures were of two Nissan filters... in fact I don't think it is. Why would he call on picture Nissan and the remaining picture "other"?

OK I'm confused. :confused:

·
4,994 Posts
You must be on the wrong page. There is never a Fram filter show alone only a Nissan alone (small unit) and another picture with two filters, a Large Nissan and a Fram together, the Fram is Fram Orange, ignore that one when comparing the Two differenct sized Nissan Filters. Can't expalin any better than that.

This is the small Nissan filter, it says Nissan
65F00
http://www.g-owners.com/pic_display.asp?id=328

This picture show the large nissan on the left.
9E000 filter
http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/515

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Ericl L, perhaps..

Note that there might be a reason Nissan specifies the shorter 65F00 for the Murano, but I don't have a reason at the moment, since on my Murano, there was no clearance issue regarding the plastic wheel liner.
Nissan's reason of changing is because of change in filter supplier perhaps? Or to safe cost, they come out with less capable filter and recomend oil change at 3,500K instead?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Well, I imagine higher engine tolerances and cleaner burning engines cause the oil to get dirty slower, so Nissan can get away with the smaller filter. Oil change intervals are the same as before for all Nissans. 3750 for severe, 7500 for normal.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts