Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry it's been awhile since I posted. The car has been fantastic (39,000 miles).

I was changing the oil tonight - drained it ok.

I then removed the oil filter... the entire "shank" the filter screws onto came out of the side of the motor! The "assembly" was hanging there with a red gasket falling out of the bottom. I removed that gasket, called Nissan roadside assist... it's on it's way to the dealer.

Doesn't seem like Koji-San at the Nissan plant screwed this one in tight enough.

Anyone heard of this issue happening?

- Jim

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I wondered whatever happened to Koji.
After he got removed from the Steering Rack assy Station, I kinda lost track of him....
Seems he just can't tighten things very well......

Never heard of this one.
A pix would be good........

Homer

Impeccable Japanese workmanship. Yeah. Right.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
jimb said:

Anyone heard of this issue happening?

- Jim
Jimb-

It has not happened to me during the one time I changed the oil on my MO (only 7,000 miles so far), nor the previous 50 times that I changed the oil on my past cars, boats, and cycles.

Someone probably failed to put enough Lock-Tite on the "shank" (Nissan refers to it as the connector bolt). It's just a fluke, and should never happen again.

-njjoe

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They never saw anything like it either... but they screwed it back in, no leaks. All is well. In all the years I have been changing oil myself, I never saw anything like it either.

The Warranty Gold Nissan warranty was awesome -- first time I had a chance to use it. They towed it from the house to the dealer Thursday night (9 pm) and it was ready by 6:30 p.m. yesterday.

Also while in, they discovered two recalls... which were done:

R05110 - Install Seat Belt Protectors, and:

R05160 - Install fuel tank shields

Also had a rattle (when cold) I asked them to check. Turned out to be a cracked Idler Pulley/Bracket. They had one in stock and replaced it under warranty. They never saw a bad one of these either.

I requested a tranny service but they said fluid was fine. They could have charged me for this service, whether I needed it or not -- but said I was cool.

All of the above under warranty - $50.

Not bad.

- Jim

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ekaxel said:
Which fuel tank shield did you get - plastic or aluminum?
Not sure. I didn't have a chance to chat with the guy. My wife picked up the car. I had to head out camping last night. Came home today for a couple of hours (kids sports games) and now heading back to the site. I would recommend reading the details of the recall # -- I will be doing this next week when I have time. If anyone happens to find out, please let us know.

Later / Jim

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Plastic - both sides. Just checked it out. They look like they "hang" a little low... almost look like air rams/intakes under there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just to let y'all know I had this happen a while ago and by looking at it it will be a problem for many owners later on. I have a few more miles than most - 65,000. The shank is not loctited, it is torqued in. also when it starts to loosen you will see an oil leak around the oil cooler gasket. Good luck finding the part number as nissan has no idea what it is and will order the wrong part for you.- but I have one and will post it when I get a chance.

·
5,244 Posts
folgersoldier

how did you end up with the repairs? Did dealer put a new part? Any problems since then?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Out of literally tens of thousands of cars, I've seen this same thing happen exactly twice. Once on a VW Jetta, and once on a Lexus. Both times we re-assembled securely with an allen key (the inside of the spigot was hex shaped) without a problem. Lock-tite is not necessary, and, I would assume, potentially problematic.

Nice to know that Nissan helped you out with roadside assistance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is happening to me. I have never seen this happen and it took me a while to figure out where the leak was coming from. I still havent gotten the leak stopped, so how can I make it stop?

Todd

·
Registered
71 Posts
You need a 22 or 24 mm deep socket and a torque wrench to reassemble it. Basically you remove the filter and tighten the shank back in to the correct torque setting which is 40 ft lbs. I would put some blue loctite on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts