Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After shopping around for oil filters.I noticed Fram makes two different sized filters for the Mo.Small and real small,does size
matter!!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I would skip the Fram. Do a google on oil filter comparisons and you will find Frams come in pretty low in the ratings. The Nissan OEM filter costs ~$5 from your local dealer, why not just stock up on a few?

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
If you search the forum there is a lot of talk about different filters. All of them are pretty small for the MO. Much smaller, in fact, than the ones on both my wife's Chevy Prizm and my old Del Sol.

The nissan ones are good. The Fram ones are NOT. K&N is also good (that's what I always used on my Del Sol) but they're a little pricy in comparison.

The nissan ones are plenty good enough, and the price is right. I'm going to stick with those (at least for now) even when I'm using synthetic oil, starting at my next oil change.

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
way to go for K&N.
i used it on my taurus and now on my MO. really good filter, i would agree with Corin about price (~ almost double the price) but you are getting a quality product for your baby, and its just once in 3--5 months so i would recommend using k&N.

just FYI, the model # for MO is HP-1008 for k&n

·
Registered
206 Posts
I did a post a while back about the two different size oil filters. The just of it is, Nissan switched to a smaller one a while back and they will eventually not have the larger one available.:cool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oil filters

Does anyone have a opinion on mobil one's oil filter
I'm also switching to Mobil one synthetic 10/w30

·
5,244 Posts
Re: oil filters

mrleadfoot said:
Does anyone have a opinion on mobil one's oil filter
I'm also switching to Mobil one synthetic 10/w30
I've been using them since switching to Mobil 1 (20 months ago). I like them. They have good reputation, though atre pricey. But i do not mind.

·
Registered
10 Posts
mrleadfoot said:
After shopping around for oil filters.I noticed Fram makes two different sized filters for the Mo.Small and real small,does size
matter!!
I'm with Eric L. on this one. Forget the Fram. Saw a rather exhaustive study on oil filters where they were literally taken apart. Checked to see if they had bypass valves, type of filter material and amount etc. Fram did not fare very well. Filters that did well were Mobil 1 and Purolator Pure One. Personnally, I use the Purolator Pure One or the Nissan OEM which everyone seems to think is a top notch filer. BTW, I use the Pure One in my 97 Maxima SE 5spd with Mobil 1 Synthetic 5-30 or 10-30. I change the oil myself. My wife's 03 Murano is a different story. It goes to the Nissan Dealer along with a 5 qt container of Mobil 1 5-30 and gets a OEM filter.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Re: Re: oil filters

Kris said:
I've been using them since switching to Mobil 1 (20 months ago). I like them. They have good reputation, though atre pricey. But i do not mind.
Have you been using this filter number? M1-108

Does Mobil 1 make a filter that's comparible to both the large and small Nissan filters? If so, which Mobil1 numbers compare to which Nissan filters?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
"Small and real small,does size matter!!"

I always thought it did!

That aside, I am going to the Amsoil ASF-36. About 2 1/2 times the size as the OEM, and really high filtering quality. It has a little lower bypass valve spec, but I think that has a lot to do with the filter capacity.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts