Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Murano. I switch to full synthetic oil from dino oil last week. I changed the filter also. Since then the engine has been leaking oil. I've checked the oil pan drain bolt and the oil filter, all are tight. Could changing to syn oil have something to do with this? It happened immediately after I changed the oil.
Thanks,
Tim

·
Super Moderator
7,793 Posts
Synthetic oil wicks better than conventional oil, which is one of its major advantages. However, as a result of this property, it tends to leak through damaged gaskets more easily.

I'm wondering why synthetic wasn't used before this - it's called for by the warranty and the owner's manual.

Hopefully the leak isn't too bad - if it is, best to replace the leaking part or gasket.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm wondering why synthetic wasn't used before this - it's called for by the warranty and the owner's manual.
I checked my 2003 owner's manual, and the maintenance section for 2007, neither specify synthetic motor oil, just 5w30, or 10w40 for hotter climates. I also checked the 2014 manual, same thing.

They started specifying 0w20, which only comes in synthetic, for the 3rd gens.

·
Registered
417 Posts
2006 Murano. I switch to full synthetic oil from dino oil last week. I changed the filter also. Since then the engine has been leaking oil. I've checked the oil pan drain bolt and the oil filter, all are tight. Could changing to syn oil have something to do with this? It happened immediately after I changed the oil.
Thanks,
Tim
What weight synthetic oil did you use? 5w30 would be the correct weight to use.

·
Registered
417 Posts
10w30 should be fine, I used synthetic 10w30 several times in my 2003 without any leaking or other issues. I used 5w30 synthetic for most of my 16 years of ownership.

How bad is the leak? If it's only a little and not too much of a nuisance you may want to leave the synthetic for its superior protection.

Going back may stop the leak.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's leaking about a cup every 4 days, making a mess on the garage floor. I think I'll go back.

·
Registered
417 Posts
It's leaking about a cup every 4 days, making a mess on the garage floor. I think I'll go back.
Yikes! That doesn't doesn't sound normal at all... Where is it leaking from?

I'd check your drain plug. You may want to try using a new crush washer too. Though I never had any leaks when I reused mine several times.

Also, if you changed the oil filter be sure you didn't leave the old gasket on, sometimes it sticks to the engine housing causing a leak.

There are also reports of the oil cooler gasket developing a leak, it's in the same area as the filter. Search the 1st gen forum for more information.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Leak is not coming from the oil pan drain plug or the oil filter gasket. I suspect the oil pan gasket, but not sure.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Leak is not coming from the oil pan drain plug or the oil filter gasket. I suspect the oil pan gasket, but not sure.
Have you checked the forum for details the oil cooler gasket?

I find it hard to believe that changing to synthetic oil alone would cause such a fast leak, unless it was already pretty leaky prior to the change...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There was no oil leak before I changed the oil and it was synthetic oil , 10W30 that I changed to along with the oil filter.

·
Registered
699 Posts
First gen Murano's are known to have a rust issue with the oil pan. My 2003 had to have it changed out at 140K, rusted thru up in the bend for the gasket flange. The oil will look like it is coming from the oil pan gasket.

If it was almost rusted thru, just cleaning dirt off while changing the oil could have started it weeping and dripping. Dealer cost was less then $300, but anyone with a 10mm socket, ratchet and scraper can install a new oil pan.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I also echo MuranoSL2003's comment that the oil cooler gasket could be the culprit. It may not have anything to do with the synthetic but the act of replacing the oil filter could disturb the cooler gasket since it is right beneath the filter mount.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll have a look at the cooler gasket. Anyone have a diagram of where it is and what it looks like?

·
Super Moderator
7,793 Posts
That's not a normal gasket leak. I think the comments above about your oil pan or cooler are on target.

And no, once you have a gasket leak, changing to dino oil is unlikely to stop it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Old oil in an engine that has worn seals and gaskets wont leak much due to degradation and impurities in the oil, hence making it thick with a slow flow rate.

When you put in fresh oil, its now thin with a fast flow rate. Now its able to pass more easily through those worn seals and gaskets.

I suggest add some Liqui Moly Engine Oil Resealer. This builds up your engine gaskets and seals.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts