Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Long time follower first time poster. I noticed this leak under my 2005 Murano SL last oil change. See attached. It didn't get worse but the location of the leak concerns me. Is it the transfer case? CVT? How bad is it? I would like to know what I am looking at before asking someone to fix it.

Thanks for your help

Attachments

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
mto-

Welcome to the forum.

I had a similar problem a few months ago. The problem was traced to two (2) leaking seals, both of which were replaced under the powertrain warranty (which, by the way, expired a few days after I brought the MO in for the initial diagnosis).

Do you feel lucky? If the leak is from one of the CVT's seals then you will be covered by the extended CVT warranty. If the leak is from the engine or transfer case seals then you will have to open your wallet. Does it look/smell like motor oil? If not, then you may be in luck.

-njjoe

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Its probably the transfer case seal and or a combination with right/passenger axle seal. I had that same leak location almost 2 years ago fixed underwarranty. And mine was the combination leak. Check transfer case poll page 5 or 6 for pix. If its the tc its pricey even for just seal replacement--all labor. Another member just asked about the same problem yesterday. He has pix too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I am going to try to take it in under warranty. I hear 10 years / 200,000km? I'm at 170k :S

Where is the CVT fluid level check? Does the transfer case have an accessible fluid level check as well?

·
Registered
600 Posts
This leak looks like mine but yours is barely sweating unlike yours. Please report back and tell us if it is covered under the extended CVT warranty.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just came from a dealer where I was given an estimate of $3,788.34 to replace the transfer case. A second estimate from a transmission shop gave a price of $3,056.
I had noticed a low whine sound coming from the front of the vehicle over a week ago while driving that gradually became louder. This past weekend while checking underneath I noticed a little wet spot in the same location as your photograph but not as wet. Today I stopped at the dealer after work and was hit with the devastating news.

Wow, not how I want to start a weekend.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I forgot to add that I have a 2004 Murano with 114,000 plus miles purchased used in 06'. Also, purchased the 100,000 mile extended warranty.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
You guys are all on the money. I see this often. What initially i was doing was replacing the oil seal on the CVT's passenger side (aka diff side oil seal, rh side) and this was doing the trick. This seal is also covered under the cvt's warranty.

But then we started noticing several Mo's comming back in with the similar leak, after talking with more techs from other dealers we were finding most were starting to replace all the seals inside the transfercase and that would fix it ultimately. So now, whenever the car is under warranty still we usually do both. But if the car is out of warranty, like most first gen mo's, nissan will only pay for the CVT's oil seal and usually we will need to hit up the customer with the cost of replacing the tranfercase seals which usually isn't too much since most of the labor is already covered under the removal of the transfercase.

But there has been other cases where even the resealed transfercase has leaked, not sure why but it has. So now, alot of dealers will automatically recommend replacing the transfercase assembly and while we have it apart we will usually replace that diff oil seal on the cvt as extra insurance. But yeah 3500 sounds about right. Good luck with those "rebuilt" transfercases though, i can't speak on those. Because of this whine noise you mentioned, im willing to bet your transfercase oil is gone and now needs replacing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just took it to the dealership this weekend. CVT is fine, apparently the "rear main seal" is leaking. Will be about $1500 CAD plus tax. Not too bad. Now I need to book off 2 days to bring it in and just make sure I keep the engine oil filled up in the mean time.

Anyone know what makes the seal give? Or is this regular wear and tear?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Rear main seal hmm? I've never had to replace a rear main seal on a VQ35. Not saying it doesn't happen but i've yet to do that in 7 years. Rear main seals usually leak at least once in a car's life typically in the higher mileage and involved having to remove the transmission and in the VQs case, both oil pans.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I went to the dealer for an oil change and he pointed out that my coolant line was corroded and starting to leak. I visually saw the leak and authorized him to do the repair (cost - $200).

As I am stand under my car with him and the tech, I asked him if the TC or CVT was leaking and he says no. I go over to it and it looks very similar to Morano.t.o pics above. He said it was not bad and to just watch it, since the cost would be expensive, which includes 10 hours of labor and it may re-occur in another 50k miles. He indicated that it was not covered under the extended warranty when I asked.

I have no idea what I should do next - any thoughts/suggestions?

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Biggun,

If you have the combination leak of TC and CVT seal, which I think you do, you can have the cvt done under warranty and persuade the dealer to reduce labor charge for the TC seal since they have open up most of the area already. But if its just the TC, you either learn how to remove the filler bolt of the TC to make sure its always full or cough up the cost for repairing the seal. Monitoring CVt fluid is easy but the TC is a pain. Good luck. How many mile have you got anyways? Maybe ask for a goodwill repair if its just right beyond the warranty mark.

nitely

·
Registered
22 Posts
The whining noise I was getting wasn't the transfer case but the left-front wheel bearing unit. The transmission shop interestingly sort of got that part wrong when they inspected and gave me an estimate. The mech who inspected the MO said that the whinning sound was a grinding and that it was coming from the transfer case or maybe the transmission itself. A few days later a different shop identified the sound as the wheel bearing unit. After replacing the left bearing unit I no longer hear any noise, it's as quiet as when I first bought it.

However a leak of some sort is occuring. I checked the CVT fluid per the directions and it's up to the full line. So, another source appears to be the cause of this leak. Maybe the T/C seal.

2004 SL Silver Morano

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
nitely,

I have 102,000 miles and have faithfully serviced it at the dealer since it was new. What is covered under the regular warranty versus the extended and when does the regular end?

biggun

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
nitely,

I have 102,000 miles and have faithfully serviced it at the dealer since it was new. What is covered under the regular warranty versus the extended and when does the regular end?

biggun
The general Powertrain Warranty, which covers the engine, CVT, transfer case and all related components, is 5-years/60,000-miles. The extended warranty is for the CVT only and is 10-years/120,000-miles.

Here's the link to the Nissan website that explains the CVT's extended warranty: NissanAssist.com

-njjoe

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Thanks for the response njjoe. Since the leak would be covered under the extended CVT warranty, how do I prove (or the dealer deny) that it is the CVT that is leaking?

Here is a picture after 50 miles of driving following my visit to the dealer. It looked much worst at the dealer, but it appears that they wiped it clean.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I mean it does look like cvt fluid leaking to me. I would be all over that trying to fix it for ya under warranty especially since i've gotten so good at them but for some reason your mechanic either seems hesitant/lazy/non imformed about it or maybe there are other reasons for them not jumping all over that but i would ask to speak to the mgr and explain that you know that seal is covered and your not really sure why they wouldn't want to fix it.

Getting your maintenances done at the same dealer will also get you very high odds of getting goodwill repairs especially maybe on the TC seal so i would ask about that too. Otherwise you pay for the seal itself (20?) and have them pop it in while they have it apart.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I went on the nissan-techinfo.com and noticed a TSB for "CVT Oil Leak Diagnosis Using Florescent Dye". Any have a copy of this, since the site charges. Could I simple put some traced dye in the CVT to verify a CVT leak?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts