Nissan Murano Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I found the TSB, below is the language. I guess I will be purchasing some dye.

Classification: Reference: Date: AT09-012 NTB09-140 December8,2009
CVT OIL LEAK DIAGNOSIS USING FLORESCENT DYE APPLIED TRANSMISSION:
Continously Variable Transmission (CVT) SERVICE INFORMATION

If you have a CVT that appears to have oil seepage or a leak on the transmission, follow the steps below to assist in a correct diagnosis.
1. Thoroughly clean off the area of the suspected leak.
2. Install 1 fluid ounce of J-28431 Fluorescent Oil Dye* into the CVT.
3. Drive vehicle for a minimum of 30 minutes (to ensure proper diagnosis).
4. Inspect with lamp from J-43926 A/C Dye Kit*
If no fluorescent oil trace/leak is found, the stain is probably:
• corrosion protection chemicals sprayed on the transmission and/or
• lubricants which are sometimes used to ease the assembly process.

NOTE: These may cause dust to accumulate (gather) on the transmission and have the appearance of an oil leak. Neither of these requires corrective action.
If a fluorescent oil trace/leak is found:

• Repair using standard warranty procedures.

*These tools were made Essential in 2001 (J-28431) and 1999 (J-43926). They are also available from Tech Mate at 1-800-662-2001.

NOTE: The Fluorescent Oil Dye is also available from Tech Mate in a pack of six 1 ounce bottles. That pack is available as part number J-28431-6.

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
I went on the nissan-techinfo.com and noticed a TSB for "CVT Oil Leak Diagnosis Using Florescent Dye". Any have a copy of this, since the site charges.
In the future check out www.NissanHelp.com. All TSBs and recalls are listed there. Although you need to register and are limited to two (2) downloads per day the site is free. I like free. ;)

-njjoe

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Thanks nj,

That is where I ultimately found it. Come to find out, I was also already a member. I must have signed up as a member there when my MO was just a twinkle in my eye. :)

-biggun

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Has anyone had there CVT dye traced by the dealer? What was your outcome?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have identical leak, so it is a CVT leak? I have FWD Murano, I do not think there is transfer case in my car. Can someone confirm? I have been trying to fix that oil leak. The car hesitated to take off sometime or do a acceleration in incline on highway. My Murano is 2003, 150K miles already. I started to smell burn oil since last year. I have replace all three engine mount, engine seal and cover for this oil leak problem. I also have replaced all tune up, breaks, rotors, CVT fluid and rear shock. I spent too much to on my Murano since last year. It is hard for me to give up on her. I still need to replace two front control arms as well.

·
Administrator
9,171 Posts
htowniman, see the response in the new thread you started. Please don't scatter questions on the same issue around in multiple threads.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have Nissan Murano 2005 was tracking down very similar leak. Trace the leak up and If you look up on the side of the case, is the tranny?, there is an inspection cover where the oil is probably coming from. My inspection cover I just noticed has gaps and I can see moving parts on the inside! Asked dealer sent photos and he said the cover was correct...At first thought wrong cover but now am thinking maybe just not put on right or a seal missing...Have been searching the web for this plate cover or some info but nothing!? Dealer no help. Here is a photo. I cleaned up the leak area real good and also deduced that the little thingy majig hanging down underneath(not shown) is to direct dripping oil away from the exhaust...so I clean the puddle of oil out and bent it down so oil will drop away from the exhaust. If anybody knows about this inspection port cover any help greatly appreciated.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Gas
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grey Synthetic rubber Bumper

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I have Nissan Murano 2005 was tracking down very similar leak. Trace the leak up and If you look up on the side of the case, is the tranny?, there is an inspection cover where the oil is probably coming from. My inspection cover I just noticed has gaps and I can see moving parts on the inside! Asked dealer sent photos and he said the cover was correct...At first thought wrong cover but now am thinking maybe just not put on right or a seal missing...Have been searching the web for this plate cover or some info but nothing!? Dealer no help. Here is a photo. I cleaned up the leak area real good and also deduced that the little thingy majig hanging down underneath(not shown) is to direct dripping oil away from the exhaust...so I clean the puddle of oil out and bent it down so oil will drop away from the exhaust. If anybody knows about this inspection port cover any help greatly appreciated.
It's an inspection cover in the upper oil pan that's used to access the bolts that hold the torque converter to the flex plate when the transmission needs to be removed. The area inside should be dry so if there's oil present then probably either a leak from the rear main seal or torque converter seal--determine what kind of oil it is and you'll have your answer.

Slope Organism Rectangle Font Line

21 - 28 of 28 Posts