Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp... My 2003 MO has its first problem @ 46k miles. I was underneath it the other day and noticed the bottom of the transmission was a little wet (oil). Got to snooping around it looks like its been there for a little while because the rack and pinion is all covered with oil (I guess from the wind blowing the oil up against it.) Anyway, wiped everything down to clean it up so I could find out exactly where its coming from. Checked it a few days later and it looks as though its coming from around the seal in the CVT were the CV half shafts (Input shafts?) plug in. Looks like I'll be heading to the dealer this week. Its still under the powertrain warranty so should be alright. Great timing, Glad I didn't find it after the 60K mark.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Good luck with getting it repaired. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Surely they can't screw this one up too bad.... take the tire, strut and CV joint off,pop the seal out slap another one in. Put everything back to together, check for leaks and verify wheel alignment. Just makes me nervous to think the dealership may screw it up somehow.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Yup, had my dealer do that service just a few weeks ago, no worries.

·
Registered
522 Posts

In additon to replacing the seal, they also topped up the CVT fluid, make sure they do that of course.

·
Registered
106 Posts
FYI, I also have a CVT leak (it was dripping onto the exhaust and the odor was coming into the car) and will be getting a new transfer case to fix the problem. The details are here in case you want to know the background: http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=39209#post39209

So if the leak is coming out of the "weep" hole in the bottom of the transmission, it's either an internal seal or that the transfer case may have a crack in it. Otherwise it may be the output shaft seals as indicated in one of the prior messages on this thread. By the way, my Murano has 10,800 miles on it.

Mobious, any chance that you have an extended warranty on your '03? Good luck, I hope yours is a simple solution.

Dave

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PROBLEM FIXED !

Put it in yesterday after work....went and picked it up after work today. I'm damn impressed. They changed the motor oil as well as the CVT oil AND the engine belts. They even cleaned all the oil off the area. All I wanted done was the seal fixed. I very impressed with the extra 20 miles they went to make me happy. I only had to pay $20 because the tech that worked on it noticed the CVT scoop was bent so he took it off and bent it back into shape. Everything else was covered by the warranty. Riverside Nissan kicks ass. :2:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dave N said:
Mobious, any chance that you have an extended warranty on your '03? Good luck, I hope yours is a simple solution.

Sounds like you have a seal issue but they may have to jerk the motor to fix yours. As far as mine...It is still under warranty for a little bit longer. I didn't buy an extended warranty. I'm still milking the powertrain warranty (60mos/60k miles). I had very little faith in my dealer but they pulled through.

Goto the nissan webpage and locate a dealer that has the "Owner First Award" They dealership I went to was the only one in the area that had is so I took it to them. As you can tell by my experience it must mean something.

·
Registered
106 Posts
mobious said:

Sounds like you have a seal issue but they may have to jerk the motor to fix yours. As far as mine...It is still under warranty for a little bit longer. I didn't buy an extended warranty. I'm still milking the powertrain warranty (60mos/60k miles). I had very little faith in my dealer but they pulled through.

Goto the nissan webpage and locate a dealer that has the "Owner First Award" They dealership I went to was the only one in the area that had is so I took it to them. As you can tell by my experience it must mean something.
They pulled my motor/trans last week to do the input shaft seals - but that didn't fix the leak. It's back in this week getting a new transfer case. In contrast to your situation, not only did they not change the engine oil, but the entire underside of my car was covered in spilled fluids (coolant, tranny fluid, etc). I spent about an hour degreasing and cleaning the underside of my car so I could tell if I had other leaks or not. This really irritated me as I keep my cars spotless inside and out, including under the hood. What this showed me is that the mechanic didn't even check to see if the problem was fixed - he just bolted everything back together and parked it in the lot when he was finished. Had he made an attempt to clean underneath the engine bay, I would consider cutting him some slack, but he did nothing towards making sure his work was done properly. I also detailed in my other post about the fact that I found a missing nut on the passenger side engine mount, they forgot to recharge the A/C, and left the mess underneath as I just mentioned.

I wish I had a choice of going to another dealer, but once this place loosened the first nut I'm stuck with them.

It's nice to hear a happy story about a dealer experience - I'm glad you're back on the road.

Dave

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dave N said:
I wish I had a choice of going to another dealer, but once this place loosened the first nut I'm stuck with them.

What do you mean your stuck? Why can't you goto another dealer? I'd start raising hell. I always take digital picks of my cars before taking them to the dealers. Although I was blindsided by my recent experience you have the right to fair service.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
First go see the service manager, If you don't receive satafication ask to see the General Manager. Call NNA, don't be abrasive but show them your pictures and if necessary have a write up of the situation that you let them know you will be sending to Nissan North American in Toledo OH 43682-4171.:3:

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
mobious said:

Sounds like you have a seal issue but they may have to jerk the motor to fix yours. As far as mine...It is still under warranty for a little bit longer. I didn't buy an extended warranty. I'm still milking the powertrain warranty (60mos/60k miles).
If your car is still under warranty, Nissan will sell you the extended warranty. I would consider that a wise investment unless you do not plan to keep the MO for long.

·
Registered
106 Posts
mobious said:

What do you mean your stuck? Why can't you goto another dealer? I'd start raising hell. I always take digital picks of my cars before taking them to the dealers. Although I was blindsided by my recent experience you have the right to fair service.
Generally, other dealers are reluctant (or will flat out refuse) to pick the work that another dealer started.

I took before and after pictures of the Murano and have them ready if needed. Fortunately, I have the service manager's attention on this - and I'm getting daily status updates as well as a rental car until my Murano is fixed. Their first impression wasn't the best, but they appear to be trying to improve the situation. It's now up to me to question everything since I found several problems after the first repair attempt. The first thing I'll do when I get it home is put it on the lift and take more pictures and inspect it to be sure everything was done right. If not, I will elevate the situation until the problem is fixed. I also asked them to save the old transfer case so I can see for myself what the source of the leak is (I'm really curious to know if it's cracked or not).

Being the son of a mechanic and doing car work part time (for fun mostly) makes for a bittersweet situation. I know when they're bluffing, and I know what is required to do the job correctly (sadly his mechanic didn't)....but sometimes I wish I could be blissfully ignorant and just turn the key on and drive :p

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mobious- Glad your leak was fixed. Our MO is having transfer case installed today/tomorrow. Must pick up car during day so I can make sure there are no ugly suprises.......will ask to see old case since they are now saying the case was not cracked.........but did not like fitment of new seal and decided to replace case.........Dave's experiences are a recurring bad dream for me since our Mo is kept in mint condition.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I just did my second oil change after a trip from SF to LA during Thanksgiving and SF to Tahoe Xmas time. As I was cleaning up the the oil spill from the filter I noticed the part above the oil pan--I think its the axle/shaft where the outter cv boot and the inner cv boot is connected.-after the inner cv boot (one away from the wheel)there is a joint with 2 screws holding it one on top and one at the bottom this joint has some oil around it-not leaking like theres drips on the floor but its wet with oil all over it. I am afraid that the seal in this joint is bad. I tried looking the surrounding area if there are any other part that is wet with oil but it seems like thats the only one. However I cannot really see very well right above it if there are any wet parts there-hopfully there are none. I'm really dissappointed to see this '04 murano with under 6k miles on it having this issue already. First unnecessary trip to the service department is needed now to have this leak fixed. Hope I get a good mechanic. fingers crossed.

mobious, is this the same part where you had the leak?

Does anyone have a picture from the service manual of the right axle/shaft where the cv boots are connected? Can you share it please. Thanks.
nitely

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No...mine was leaking from the rubber seal in the transmission where the driverside CV joint plugs in. There is no OIL in the CV joint you might check for a torn CV boot. But CV joints have grease that tends to splatter onto the rims when there is a problem. You might look around.. THere are plenty of weep holes and other places for oil to come back. Wipe it all down and check it in a couple days.

And as far as the extended warranty thing that was posted by another member. You can only buy the extended warranty if its still under the basic 36 mos./36k miles warranty. Mine is well beyond that.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
update:
I just dropped off my murano to have the right axle seal leak checked on and the advisor said that no need to worry about alignment it will not affect it. I thought that when you remove the wheel and the drive shaft you automatically get the alignment off specs. Can anyone confirm this?

MightMo,
Did your dealer do your alignment as well after the seal fix? Or was it not in the job list-thus not necessary? Thanks.

Anyways, he'll call me early this afternoon to tell me what is up. Just hope I dont drive my murano back with a bad alignment later. Or it will be another trip back to them which will be a pain. First time with this dealer-fingers crossed-hope all will be alright. Damn! I think I have become a worry wart after reading all these horror stories from selected nissan dealers. Got to shake it off! Dammit! Will update again.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
If they don't mess with the tie rod position but just remove the bolt and then slip the drive shaft out he is right.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To add to what grip said... They usually pop the ball joint off and don't usually mess with the tie rod. By doing this it saves them from having to mark the adjustment nut.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts