Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Long story short..

During the month of April noticed oil drops (1 drop / 3 days) at the parking spot.

First thought was that during the oil change at Nissan dealer ( done on April 9, 2020) they forgot to tight the oil-drain bolt.
Honestly I was confident that it's the main reason as it all happened right after the oil change.

Today I lifted my car and noticed that Oil-drain bolt was completely dry but lots of oil grease just beside the CVT oil pan.
I'm devastated....Scheduled service appointment for upcoming Monday but already prepared for diagnosis..

Car has 32000 km on odometer
2017, SL AWD model
I don't think I have warranty as last September when service was due I was out of the country
and upon returning completely forgot about service.

Overall I'm extremely disappointed about Nissan Murano as I was taking extra care of the car but
experienced multiple deficiencies like noisy (squeaky) break pedal, broken console near cup holder ( almost never used)
and vibration on low RPM while cursing at around 1000 RPM.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My 2017.5 SL FWD had this problem ... see post below:

·
Super Moderator
8,478 Posts
All you can do at this point is fill it with synthetic oil, change the filter and drive it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All you can do at this point is fill it with synthetic oil, change the filter and drive it.
It's a transfer case leak
o_O dealer said that it's covered under warranty and they will contact me once the parts arrive

I don't know how it's under warranty cause I was confident that warranty had been voided as I skipped last service
(technically I did not skip it, last September when service was due I still had 8000 km to the next point when service required at 32k)

I just hope that they will not change their mind when the parts arrive

·
Registered
359 Posts
The comment about skipping a service (or not) is confusing. Basic service calls for at least oil changes every 8000km. So if you changed oil at 16k, 24k and your next one is 32k then nothing has been skipped.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had a bad alternator on a 1yr-old Toyota (1990). The service advisor demanded my oil-change records to carry out the free repair.
I told the guy if he could prove missing an oil change could "damage" the alternator then I would pay for it. That was the end of the hassle.
I've done all the maintenance myself. A few times I had to use the warranty service (such as this leak in my Murano), they never ask for any records
(even though none exists in their computer). If having trouble, just goto another dealer. I do keep notes & receipts of parts, just in case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The comment about skipping a service (or not) is confusing. Basic service calls for at least oil changes every 8000km. So if you changed oil at 16k, 24k and your next one is 32k then nothing has been skipped.
Sorry, really confusing
you are right about mileage criteria but I was under impression that it also every 8 month, whatever comes first

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a bad alternator on a 1yr-old Toyota (1990). The service advisor demanded my oil-change records to carry out the free repair.
I told the guy if he could prove missing an oil change could "damage" the alternator then I would pay for it. That was the end of the hassle.
I've done all the maintenance myself. A few times I had to use the warranty service (such as this leak in my Murano), they never ask for any records
(even though none exists in their computer). If having trouble, just goto another dealer. I do keep notes & receipts of parts, just in case.
This is so much true what you said!

My experience with the dealer was smooth overall, today they received parts and scheduled service appointment, I reconfirmed that everything is charge-free and not fully calmed !

PS : now it’s also a time to ask them why my break pedal makes a squeaky noise, lol

·
Registered
99 Posts
I strongly think the dealers will (very much) want owners to bring up any (in-warranty) issues, so they can bill the makers.
My Avalon got a wheel-alignment (I didn't ask) during 1st free oil-change. My Murano had a noise complaint (I didn't made) added during the write-up.

·
Super Moderator
8,478 Posts
It's a transfer case leak
o_O dealer said that it's covered under warranty and they will contact me once the parts arrive
Good for you! Glad they made that promise. It's about a $2000 repair.

Now the good news/bad news part.

The Murano transfer cases often leak, but usually it's just a slow seep which doesn't appreciably lower the level of the lube in the transfer case. Your faster leak is unusual, but it also means that it's critical that you check the level and make sure the gear oil stays filled. That transfer case will self destruct if it's run dry, and it doesn't hold much oil. Make sure that the dealer filled that transfer case when they discovered the leak.

The other news is that even after the transfer case seals are replaced, they often leak, but it's usually only the slow seep that I referred to above. If you have one of those slow seeping transfer cases, it's not worth trying repeated seal replacements, just check the level of the gear oil every 6 months or so and make sure it's filled.

·
Registered
20 Posts

The Murano transfer cases often leak, but usually it's just a slow seep which doesn't appreciably lower the level of the lube in the transfer case. Your faster leak is unusual, but it also means that it's critical that you check the level and make sure the gear oil stays filled. That transfer case will self destruct if it's run dry, and it doesn't hold much oil. Make sure that the dealer filled that transfer case when they discovered the leak.

The other news is that even after the transfer case seals are replaced, they often leak, but it's usually only the slow seep that I referred to above. If you have one of those slow seeping transfer cases, it's not worth trying repeated seal replacements, just check the level of the gear oil every 6 months or so and make sure it's filled.
Pilgrim, thanks for the above information. I have the same leak but nothing like the OP's. I absolutely hate a leaky automobile but not worth the $2k repair. BTW, I've read many of your posts on the forum and find you extremely knowledgeable regarding this particular vehicle. Can I ask how you obtained that knowledge? Do you service these vehicles?

Thanks you!

·
Super Moderator
8,478 Posts
Pilgrim, thanks for the above information. I have the same leak but nothing like the OP's. I absolutely hate a leaky automobile but not worth the $2k repair. BTW, I've read many of your posts on the forum and find you extremely knowledgeable regarding this particular vehicle. Can I ask how you obtained that knowledge? Do you service these vehicles?

Thanks you!
I owned an 07 and did all the work I could on it. I also have been working on cars from a variety of manufacturers since 1968. I use my own code reader (a fairly basic one) and use laptop software for my two BMWs and my daughter's Mini (same program.)

Much of my knowledge was acquired pre-ECU designs, but mechanics remains mechanics, head gaskets are unchanged, U-joints and brakes haven't changed.

It also helps that I've been here a few years, so I've been able to spot trends in problem reports and fixes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

You absolutely right. I was thinking about this too...there’s no guarantee that replacing seals will solve the problem for 100%...

And worst of all I don’t know how much oil is there right know, they told me I’m ok to drive but of course they don’t really care..

could you please advise if it’s possible to check the fluid level myself and how to do it ? access is super limited over there

any advice much appreciated! thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
8,478 Posts
Yes, you can check it yourself. The process is simple but clumsy, as access is limited. Do a search for terms like "check transfer case fluid" and you'll find a number of discussions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Guys,

Just an update. So Dealer replaced all seals on transfer case, now when everything should be normal I took my car for a ride. After approximately 10 km on a highway at speed around 140- 120 km an hour I took of the highway and stopped on intersection.
I still could smell light burning smell when vehicle completely stopped.

Idk, will keep checking the parking spot and hopefully no drops of oil over there.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
It's likely some of the gear oil spilled onto the exhaust in that area during the replacement. Gear oil has a strong odor... It should go away after awhile, but definitely keep an eye on the area for weeping, those transfer case reseals have a history of not always being successful, at least in the early days of people having them performed...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's likely there some of the gear oil spilled onto the exhaust in that area during the replacement. Gear oil has a strong odor... It should go away after awhile, but definitely keep an eye on the area for weeping, those transfer case reseals have a history of not always being successful, at least in the early days of people having them performed...
Thanks man, I was thinking too that it might still some leftovers burning out.
Also planing to change an air filter and wash undercarriage to remove grease...apparently Nissan dealership doesn’t do it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts