Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an 08 Altima with 2.5L engine that I maintained well and never had any leaks (except the oil cooler). I put most of the 150K miles myself and has been a very reliable car.... until it got totaled by an uninsured driver.
Then I got the 07 MO with 162K miles with leak on upper oil pan and rear main. Are the MO‘s prone to leak even with proper maintenance or is this just a result of neglect or hard use? The vehicle was in good shape cosmetically (interior & exterior) and the engine compartment was clean with exception of the leaks mentioned above.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I had an 08 Altima with 2.5L engine that I maintained well and never had any leaks (except the oil cooler). I put most of the 150K miles myself and has been a very reliable car.... until it got totaled by an uninsured driver.
Then I got the 07 MO with 162K miles with leak on upper oil pan and rear main. Are the MO‘s prone to leak even with proper maintenance or is this just a result of neglect or hard use? The vehicle was in good shape cosmetically (interior & exterior) and the engine compartment was clean with exception of the leaks mentioned above.
FWIW, I don't think anyone can provide you with anything other than anecdotal information on this. Aside from known manufacturing defects, there is an element of luck involved as far as what ends up failing on a car. I don't find it shocking that a motor with that age/mileage got an oil leak since sealing gaskets will eventually deteriorate over time.

·
Super Moderator
8,292 Posts
Any vehicle can leak. Any gasket can fail or have a manufacturing defect. The Nissan V6 has no unusual reputation for oil leaks.

To quote The Big Lebowski: "Some days you get the b'ar, and some days the b'ar gets you."

·
Registered
25 Posts
Got mine at 105k. Transfer box was/is leaky, even though I use the 4 wheel element not at all and most don't need to here. Oil pan replaced by previous owner only months before my purchase. Like he said: somedays you get the bar, etc. Yours at least had the courtesy of giving you another 45k miles extra to mine!

·
Registered
857 Posts
I had an '03 for 16 years. The transfer case didn't leak or weep at all, the exterior was bone dry.

My high pressure power steering hose had just begun to leak a little the day before trading it in for a '19.

My oil pan and valve covers gaskets were also leak free after 16 years.

In all my years of reading this forum, I don't recall ever hearing about a rear seal leak...

Reactions: Pilgrim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New question. Trying to decide whether to spend more money on repairs on this MO w/163k miles or trade it as is. I mounted a small cake pan to catch the leak. Will the leak cause any other problems? The oil sending unit is in the line of the leak. The exhaust is also near but doesn’t seem to be directly affected.
I’ve read of other problems that are common for the 1st gen MO. The driver seat rail tends to break ($600+ repair) and I read about it often stalling in dangerous conditions where a wreck is possible (like in an intersection). The fix doesn’t seem to be one that is easily corrected, or if it is, does the cost to repair get expensive? Does this happen in a significant percentage of these vehicles? I’m not one that typically does mechanical repairs other than maintenance.
the cost to fix the things that I also need fixing are the suspension and replace CV boots and leaking power steering and a few other minor things. Also, it seems to ride well but it seems very sluggish when low RPM accelerating (not stomping on it).
PS. This was my mother’s vehicle so I didn’t have to buy this high mileage vehicle. I like the MO overall as it is in pretty good condition otherwise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts