Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I have a car rental, a lovely Chevy Malibu... one ugly car.

I noticed that the on board computer has an "oil life" indication. Pretty neat. Anyone know how this works? Mileage, time, actual oil sampling etc?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I believe they all work basically the same way.
They develop a program to measure things like RPMs, distance, Time, and Temps. maybe some other stuff too.
I do not believe any car is equipped to do an actual oil analysis.

Ain't pooters wunerful? :D

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Adding to homer's list, the oil life monitor also measures cold starts, open loop driving time, etc...

Yeah the oil monitors don't actually measure the oil, they just take a tally of hte engines operating conditions to give an oil life estimate.

·
5,244 Posts
The oil life monitors are quite common on GM cars. Almost every GM car I rent is equiped with it.

How good it is? I am not sure. Anyway I believe it is better that nothing.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm interesting... I like it. Boy compared to the MO that powering steering in that Chevy was like butter. I could have washed the driveway floor with thoose front wheels it turned to easily.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Recently drove a Malibu rental, one of the new ones with the V6. I must admit, it was much better than the older Malibu (now renamed the Chevy Classic hehe). Its still no Accord or Camry, but I would say it wasn't a bad car at all.

·
5,244 Posts
I agree. I rented the new Malibu several times during last 12 months time and have to admit I really surprised me. Roomy, quite powerful (V6) and surprisingly good handling. I simply could not believe that I was driving a Chevy! It is based on Saab platform and it shows.
I also rented Pontiac G6 and have to say not bad car. It seems that GM is finally bringing good staff from acquisitions. Let’s hope this trend continues…

1 - 7 of 7 Posts