Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Similar to the previous oil thread, but I'm specifically interested in whether synthetic gives that much of a bonus over "regular" oil. Any opinions? Any hard information to back up those opinions? ;)

Web searches have given me various info, but nothing that is real hard evidence that I should spend the extra $$ on synthetic.

~ Corin

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
This isn't what you would call "hard evidence" but... I have been using synthetic since my first oil change. At about 36,000km, the dealer screwed up and put conventional in. At the next oil change, I went back to synthetic. I noticed a definate difference in ease of starting, smoothness, power and noise. All better with the synthetic of course. This is the first direct, if qualitative, comparison I've done.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
what synthetic oil brand that you use? ...

Could you let us know the brand..thanks

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Valvoline. I have only used 5W30 and Nissan filters.

The noise I noticed most was on cold start and seemed to be lifter noise. Ambient temps of 0F and below caused much more noise with the conventional oil.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
Read This

Oil Questions answered here.
Down at the bottom of this page is a link to "More than you ever wanted to know about motor oil (Ed Hackett):
site one.
Go there and read for yourself.
Opened my eyes to some things.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
From what I gather, synthetic oil has its greatest benefits in extreme cold starts or hot weather operation. While it is true that most people will not realize any real world difference between synthetic and conventional, it is also the fact that under virtually all circumstances, synthetics will provide a wider margin of protection of conventional oils.

Will using synthetics over conventional guarantee 150,000 trouble free miles? Probably not, since its a factor of more than oil type.

Will using synthetics protect your engine during those rare moments of extreme operation? Yes, but then so will conventional (up to a point).

There are people on who subscribe to both camps here, but ultimately I feel that I want to give my vehicle the best products. Since I change my own oil, it costs around $25 for a synthetic oil change and Nissan filter, which is even less than Jiffy Lube charges for a conventional oil change. I do not think however, that it is worth it to go with synthetics if you have someone else do it for $70 (which is what Jiffy Lube and some dealerships charge).

·
Registered
418 Posts
Using synthetic oil does offer some marginal benefits; cold weather starting, slightly better fuel economy, etc. Do the benefits justify the extra cost? Probably not. I look at it as sort of psychological "thing".
Treat your vehicle right; use the best products possible and and your vehicle will treat you right. I doubt if Mobile One will use that thought for their next marketing campaign....

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
As my vehicle sees cold temperatures (-40), extended highway use at high speeds, a lot of hard acceleration and a lot of stopped traffic, I will only use synthetic. I need the better protection.

That and the fact that I'll have 180,000 miles on it before I'm done paying for it! :eek:

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
180K miles..? is it 6 years financing?

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Yeah, although I may try to pay it off earlier.

·
5,268 Posts
Synthetic does offer better protection and most likely will extend the life of the engine. However, if one changes oil regularly the conventional oil is OK.

I switched to synthetic because I believe it is better for my car. The cost had nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have some relatively high mileage experience with the VQ engine. I now am on my 3rd VQ engine (95 Maxima 3.0, 00 Maxima 3.0, and the 03 Murano 3.5).

The 95 Maxima always got oil changed at 3,000 miles and (dealer serviced at every 15k) until it was totaled by my son last summer at ~190k.

It had developed a noise which I would describe as a "valve rattle" at startup. The noise would go away after about 30 seconds which I attributed to oil starvation at startup causing valve train wear over the years. It never burned any oil and when I would get it changed, the oil jockeys always commented on how clean it still looked.

Based primarily on that experience, I went to Mobile One on my 00 Maxima when it hit 10,000 miles and change it every 5,000 miles using a regular factory oil filter. It currently has 139k and has none of the old valve noise that I heard on startup with the 95.

I went to Mobile one on my Murano when it hit 10k and am still going to change it at 5,000 mile increments using the fasctory oil filter.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
dklanecky1 said:
I have some relatively high mileage experience with the VQ engine. I now am on my 3rd VQ engine (95 Maxima 3.0, 00 Maxima 3.0, and the 03 Murano 3.5).

The 95 Maxima always got oil changed at 3,000 miles and (dealer serviced at every 15k) until it was totaled by my son last summer at ~190k.

It had developed a noise which I would describe as a "valve rattle" at startup. The noise would go away after about 30 seconds which I attributed to oil starvation at startup causing valve train wear over the years. It never burned any oil and when I would get it changed, the oil jockeys always commented on how clean it still looked.

Based primarily on that experience, I went to Mobile One on my 00 Maxima when it hit 10,000 miles and change it every 5,000 miles using a regular factory oil filter. It currently has 139k and has none of the old valve noise that I heard on startup with the 95.

I went to Mobile one on my Murano when it hit 10k and am still going to change it at 5,000 mile increments using the fasctory oil filter.
[/
QUOTE]

The valve rattle is a very common problem on 95-99 Maximas. There was never any evidence the noise caused any damage though, and sometimes switching to synthetic remedied the noise. I ran Mobil One in my Maxima for most of its life and if I did not drive the car for a few days, I would get about a second or two or valve chatter when I started up the car.

I notice Dunlop SP5000's on that Maxima - I had those tires too. Are those Borbet Type H's? I had 17" Borbet Type M's!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Good eyes!

The dunlops on the 16" borbets replaced the ugly 15" stock wheels whcih had snow tires added to them. When we totaled it, I took the dunlops and the borbets off the 95 and put the snows and the factyory wheels back on (for the junk yard).

Now I've got the 16" borbet wheels "wintering" on the 00 Maxima with a fresh set of snow tires.

Don't know when I'll next have a vehicle that the 16" dunlops will be an upgrade, they were/are awesome tires.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts