Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys/Gals...quick question...I've decided that I will do my own oil changes from now on, I am going to use synthetic, what I need to know is what viscosity do you find works best ??

·
Registered
360 Posts
I take my own oil (synthetic) to the dealership and they change it for me. They have no problem with that but at the begining reminded me to bring 5/30 regardless of the type of oil.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Use Mobil 1 05-30

·
5,244 Posts
I second that - Mobil1 5 - 30

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Third! Mobil One 5w30. Best place to buy it (for the cheapest price) is Walmart or any of the warehouse clubs (Costco, Sams, etc...).

Unless you plan to leave it in there for a really long time (over 7500 miles) there is no need to get the more expensive "extended performance" variant if the normal (i.e. "old") Mobil One is a little cheaper.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I use Amsoil Series 2000 0W30. Recommended by Amsoil for all 5W30 applications.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I take my Mobile-1 10-30 to dealer and they change it. No one has said anything about bringing in 5-30.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
In other words, 10w30 is fine in the Bay Area, zelb! :D

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Mobil1 full synthetic, 5W30.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Valvoline Synpower 5w30...

bring it to dealership and they will change it also.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Royal Purple?

I saw an episode of Two Guys Garage on Speed and they changed oil, tranny fluid and rear end oil on a recent Camaro. On the Dyno they picked up 10 HP at rear wheels! Cost about $100.oo.
So...am thinking of changing oil and tranny fluid on my 03 Civic Si to Royal Purple.
Any comments? Maybe for Murano? Would be cost effective if I just change the filter at 5K and leave oil it in for 15K.
Costs about $6.00/Quart.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Re: Royal Purple?

dborla01 said:
I saw an episode of Two Guys Garage on Speed and they changed oil, tranny fluid and rear end oil on a recent Camaro. On the Dyno they picked up 10 HP at rear wheels! Cost about $100.oo.
So...am thinking of changing oil and tranny fluid on my 03 Civic Si to Royal Purple.
Any comments? Maybe for Murano? Would be cost effective if I just change the filter at 5K and leave oil it in for 15K.
Costs about $6.00/Quart.
I think you would want to consult with Nissan before you change the tranny oil to royal purple. It may void the warranty

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Re: Royal Purple?

dborla01 said:
Costs about $6.00/Quart.
There are no compatible CVT fluids for the Murano except for the Nissan NS-2 fluid. If you run an aftermarket tranny oil in there, you'll void the warranty (and it prob won't work).

As for the 10hp increase for the camaro (I saw that ep last year too), the Murano has a much more modern design, so I doubt you would see that type of increase on the MO. Of course, it never hurts to use good syn oil in the diff/transfer anyways. I'll prob go with either RP or Amsoil when I drain and refill my transfer and diff at 30k.

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
used both Amsoil and Mobil1.

used amsoil in winter and in late spring switche to Mobil1. planning to stay with mobil1 and k&n filter. since i did noticed some fuel economy enhancement with mobil1.

both are very well. so its ur call.

mobil1 5w-30 or Amsoil 5w-30

·
Registered
133 Posts
Royal Purple correction

Sorry for not clarifying. I just meant that suggested oil in engine. I saw that modification on Horsepower TV. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts