Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have about 8000 miles on the MO now,
and i filled up this morning on my way to work,
premium of course.
and i reset my MPG counter,
then checked it when i got to work,
as i usually do after i fill up, i like to see those high numbers.
and i was shocked!

my MPG was 25.8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

never have i seen it that high, the most was about 24 exactly.

so i am pleasantly surpirsed that the MPG are gettin better,
or at least seem to be.

-Nerf

·
Registered
834 Posts
Nice

With 80% hiway driv'n and 2,300 miles, I can not get by 21.8 MPG.

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
I have about a 26 mile commute that has a 6% grade involved. Speed is about 75 due to heavy CHP (da police) involvement. I use premium and only get 19 MPG.

I recently lowered by tire pressure to 33PSI from about 36-37. Prior I got 21MPG on one of my commutes. I'm going to play around with tihs to see if how much the tire pressure plays in the equation.

I have around 5500 miles and use premium 89 octane in CA.

I think for us to compare it would be nice to know:

Current mileage on MO
fuel grade
Speed
and maybe tire pressure

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok mileage is 8000
use premium 93 in CT
speed on Highway aroun 65 - 70
tire pressure 31 - 33 cold. (depends on the weather).

-Nerf

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I'm at 16.9 MPG
Tires at 33.
Gas is Mobil 93 octane.

Mileage only <>500 miles in suburban driving.
This is good and bad.

If there is any fact to the belief that you get better mileage after breakin, then it will go up. :)

OTOH, I am babying this thing at this point, so .........:confused:

If it drops much further, say down to the 15s, ..............:3:
I guess if it drops any further under the current conditions, very light throttle, top speed about 55, etc, I would have to consider some drastic action.

Homer

·
Registered
243 Posts
Before one is ecstatic :2: or depressed :mad: about milage, ask yourself :confused:

What is the average speed of the commute, if you can't guess :p

Just take a peek at your trip statistics. I thought I drive at pretty good speed until I discoverd my average speed is just 25 miles :eek:

I am getting 19.1 mpg at around 2000 miles using plus grade, I am not complaining.

Two notes, you get best milage on any vehicle around 50 miles (ave) AND you get ZERO miles per gallon sitting still :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
My M gets about 21.5 - 22.8 mpg depending on the age of the oil. I use Mobile 1 (changed every 6000 mi), drive an average of 65 mph for 100 mi each day (90% highway) and my tire pressure is about 33 psi. I could not be happier considering other 6 cyclinder SUVs average 17-19 mpg and the M is much more fun to drive!!! :2:

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Anywhere from 21.2 to 24.5 here. I recently did a check with my driving to and from work over 318 miles with an average speed of 39mph. Gas mileage calculated by miles on trip meter and gallons upon refill was 21.5. Fuel economy meter (reset when I first filled up and left it alone the whole time) said 21.2. So the meter once again is real close on average. On a highway trip if I set the cruise at 65, drive up the highway, turn around and come back (10 miles one way), I get 24.5.

Homer, I can't prove it but I believe it does. Once the rings seat you have maximum compression which translates into better combustion and either better economy or more power. But once those rings seat, I'd say the rest is negligible. The question is when do the rings seat? Judging by the operators manual, Nissan believes it to be somewhere within the first 1200 miles.

·
Registered
76 Posts
yay

using canadian metric system i am currently at 16.7 (still going down baby!!) using 91 octane.. only 5900 km :) bought may/03..

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The highest I ever got was about 22mpg on the highway averaging around 70mph. Driving all city, with an avg speed of around 20-25mph on the trip meter, I get around 15mpg. Not even close to EPA averages in either case.

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Enforcer said:
Judging by the operators manual, Nissan believes it to be somewhere within the first 1200 miles.

the OM states that is the breakin period...

i am in disbelief....

the rings (are these cylinders lined...nikasil?? or ???) seat within the first 200 miles, max...

when the motor is assembled, and first started, it must be cranked up.... IMO, there's no way they're sendin out engines that havent been factory tested .....

imo, of course......
:4:

·
5,268 Posts
hwy - 24 to 25 mpg

suburbia - 18

changed to Mobil 1 recently, got 20 mpg suburbia driving. AC does not work so hard now. I am more than happy - it is a big and heavy car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts