Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's one year yesterday since I took delivery of my 03 SE AWD with all the options including NAV, Towing and XM SAT. Here are some of my impressions (and statistics) after 23,800 miles.

Highs:

This is without a doubt the best Road Trip vehicle I've ever ridden in. The combination of the higher seating position, the sportier SE handling, the CVT (with it's infamous "S" position), nice, powerful 3.5 liter engine, the XM radio, the towing capability, and the NAV unit make it just about unbeatable, in it's price range.

Gas mileage has averaged 19.34 MPG as calculated manually at every fill-up with the mileage computer calculating a tad high at 20.15 MPG, about .80 MPG off in total. My best mileage per tank fill up was 24.4 and my worst was 12.9. I switched to Mobile One at 10,000 miles and use a K&N air filter as well.

I changed the oil and filter at every 5,000 miles, rotate the tires at 15,000 and my total maintenance costs were 162.12 for the year.

My largest fill up was 20.971 gallons. My average fill was 17.09 gallons. My most expensive fill up was 20.515 gallons of Premium at $2.249 per gallon or $45.93. I bought gas 40 times during the 12 months, 19 times 93 octane, 15 times 89 octane, and 6 times 87 octane. Gas mileage and overall engine performance seem to be the best with the 93 octane, so I'm sticking with it going forward.

I think that the overall design of the Murano's exterior body is outstanding, particularly when it comes to washing, waxing, and detailing in general. There are so many nice clean body panels and tight seams that I can literally quick detail the entire exterior of vehicle in less than 15 minutes (not counting all that glass).

The overall look of the Murano is still very attractive from almost any angle I still catch other drivers sneaking a peek almost every day while I'm on the road and sitting in traffic. I also still enjoy the look of the Murano from almost any angle, which to me is a sign of the overall great design.

The Xenon headlights are outstanding and with the adjustable height, can light up the night like nothing else I've ever driven. The memory seats are really nice with me being 6' and my wife being 5'2"

Lows:

I've got a rattle coming from what sounds like the driver's side B pillar that I cannot for the life of me locate and stop. This is the only one I have in my particular Murano. (Knocking on wood.)

This thing can really suck up the gas when it's driven in the cold weather for short trips and doesn't have a chance to warm up sufficiently. I've seen an indicated 10 mpg in the winter until it warms up and then it moves up nicely as thing warm up. It doesn't seem to be the engine that's slow to warm up either, I think it's the CVT. I wonder if some kind of transmission heater would improve this cold weather mileage?

Gas mileage above 78-80 MPH drops off very quickly as the MO isn't as aerodynamic as its looks might make you think.

The main NAV unit (player) died on me and was replaced under warranty (part price ~$2,000). Makes me wonder about the reliability of the unit at 150,000 miles and beyond and whether I'd pay to have it fixed if (when) it fails.

I think Nissan really cheaped out on the TPMS that doesn't indicate which tire is low, only that one is.

Overall, this is the best-designed and engineered vehicle I've ever owned or driven. It's not perfect, but it's awfully close to being perfect for my uses.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You're 'way ahead of me on miles driven. I've had my Goldie since May 2003 and have just over 16,000 miles on it. I keep my gas mileage, like you, the old fashioned way, and my overall average is 19.554 mpg. Not bad, considering how hard it is to keep this car below 80!

Fortunately, I don't have rattles (or my aviator ears don't hear them!) and my NAV system still functions without a glitch. Otherwise, I second all your comments.

I've been driving since 1942 (wow, time flies!) and this is the best car I've ever had, most enjoyable and comfortable to drive. Kudos to Nissan!

·
5,268 Posts
Wow, and you kept all the data.................

I'm glad you are happy with the MO. I am too after 13 months and 21k miles. Lts's hope we can say it 5 years down th etrack........:D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nice job, and excellent write up. Posts like this restore faith after wading through the deluge of negative posts about alternators, cvt's, mpg...etc

I hope to be right behind you in a year, saying the same things about ours. We're at 700mi now and couldn't be happier.
:2:

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
I broke 33,000 this week, and while I don't have any stats like you, I can tell you that my TPMS does indeed indicate which tire is low. When the TPMS warning light comes on (with the "cockpit alarm" as I call it) check the TPMS and it will light up one or more tires as being suspect.

The alarm shuts off after about a minute or two, but the light on the dash and the indicated flat will stay lit for about an hour. That was how I opened my daily commute for pretty much the second half of last winter.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Nice write-up. Enjoyed reading your data.

On a side note, you mentioned how quick you can quick detail your car "not counting the glass". I agree. I love my Murano but the biggest beef I have is with the moron that designed the windshield / wiper setup. Cleaning the windshield around the wiper area is a complete nightmare. Even lifting the hood doesn't give much help.

Thanks again for the report.

·
Registered
126 Posts
another 1-year report

1 year, 13k miles, 2 long road trips. No failures of any kind. Occasional 'tic' in upper windshield area, no other squeaks or rattles. Only complaint is wimpy visor clips. Not annoying enough to be worth taking it in to the dealer. average mileage = 19.7 mpg. Have only put regular unleaded in it. Good tire wear. One minor collision. Wife was rear-ended by a mini-pickup, driver fled. Left some scuff marks on the gray underside of the bumper cover. Not worth repairing. Interior wearing well. Another happy owner.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Re: another 1-year report

turbodog said:
Only complaint is wimpy visor clips. Not annoying enough to be worth taking it in to the dealer.
This bothers the crap out of me. I thought I was being kind of anal about it, but those visor clips are next to worthless. Anyone know of a fix or of a way to "tighten" these things?

·
Registered
126 Posts
My understanding is that there is a replacement available from the dealer. I don't know if you have to bring the Mo in to have them installed. I simply haven't bothered, despite knowing that a 'fix' is available.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks! I'll pop into the dealer and buy a set. I know I could get it done for free, but logistics of getting into the dealer service are tough. Besides, I suspect a significant contributor to my overall satisfaction with the Mo is the fact that I haven't set wheel in a dealer parking lot since taking delivery :)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Happy Birthday! Glad your happy, I'm now at my cars 1/2 birthday. 6 months and I enjoy looking at it and driving it every day.
Now go out and buy the car a present and get it a drink of fuel injector cleaner or some wax!
Bob1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts