Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Nissan Enthusiast
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody out there figure out how to use the SAT input on the head unit for other applications like a MP3 player?

·
4,664 Posts
Not yet, but it's in the works.... Depends how busy I am, on how fast. The head unit has to be fooled into thinking the SAT module's there, to enable the audio inputs...:eek:

·
4,664 Posts
Here's some of the communcation between the SAT receiver and the Bose. To get the audio to be enabled, someone has to build an interface that will make the Bose think there's a SAT receiver. Not trivial, but possible.

There's three communication lines. Each color represents a different captured session when the vehicle is powered up and the Bose starts to talk to the SAT receiver.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
audio inputs

I could probably make an interface from a programmable ic like the STAMP IC but I need more information and I dont have the fancy TEK gear you guys have. If it is just a matter of pulsing the data lines in a simple sequence to get the audio inputs to open up, then yeah I could do that. But for some reason I think the Bose unit may want constant communication and that is where I could be of no help. If there is anyone out there with more info please let me in on it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had the same idea generator, Jakk and I are working on it. :-D
If it comes down to it I will build a custom system based around a RISC cpu and DSP... :)

-Tim

·
4,664 Posts
Well, the basic idea is to figure out how it talks first. Then emulating is next. Just enough to make it think it's on one channel of SAT is fine. I haven't evaluated if the stamp will handle it yet, but if it will, then it's a nice simple way to get it to work... Got one sitting here on the desk waiting to be commanded! Looks like the data rate is 1 Kbit/S, since the pulses are all multiples of 1 mS. Have to look up if the Stamp will handle that. I think it should be fine...

·
Nissan Enthusiast
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
data logging

it seems to me that data line zero is the only constant here on the above graph. Is that initial pulse from high to low the ATTENTION signal. What if we just sent the ATTENTION pulse with no other complimentary data. Would the analog inputs sits there open? That sequence on line zero is always the same.

·
4,664 Posts
That won't work, because the first the head unit talks to the SAT to identify itself, before it even enables the audio inputs. So the head has to be fooled into thinking there's a valid device there first.

So if a SAT identification can be emulated, then that might be enough....

·
Nissan Enthusiast
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jaak....The waveform output you show above.....is that a snapshot of something that happens over and over (continuously) or is that a one time event when sat button is pressed or powering radio up?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Has anyone tried to short the two pins 9 and 11 together on the SAT receiver side of the harness like on the FX-35/45 rear seat DVD solution? The connector for the DVD in the FX looks just like the other end of the SAT harness. On the FX this fools the HU to think their the rear seat DVD is installed and pins 1, 2, 3, and 4 are the L+, L-, R+, R-.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Here is a link to the original thread over at FA iPod in FX . The pictures are no longer there, so you may have to e-mail the guy who did it to get copies. And after remembering it now, it looked like just an extension of the SAT connector on the back of the HU, not the other end of the SAT harnes. If you compare to Jaak's site it looked like the sat connector flipped both horizontally and veritically.

So someone could try to short Pins 9 and 11 on the back of the HU and hook up Audio to 1, 2, 3, and 4. But it would be at their own risk and could damage it. On Jaak's site Pin 9 is called "< Receive Data" and Pin 11 is called "< ND-CONT (ON Sig In)".

·
Registered
255 Posts
Here is the link to the FX iPod pictures FX iPod Pics. What he is calling pins 9 and 11 on the thread over at FA would correspond to pins 7 and 8 on Jaak's Diagram. Pin 7 is "SO-CHG" and pin 8 is "Slave Request".

To test this out all someone needs to do is short pin 7 to 8, hit the sat button (maybe twice if it is like the rear a/v and can have a slave) and see the display says Sat or CD with no sound.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It seems to me..and correct me if I am wrong.. that the Infiniti pictures shown at the above link show a Pre-Existing harness which sits under the arm-rest. My VW GTI was wired the same way for the optional CD changer. The harness was just sitting there waiting to be plugged into something. Is that the same scenario here? Is it possible that I may have a similar harness sitting under my armrest assembly in the Murano?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I was told by Nissan that it is not there and this is why their will be no Nissan rear DVD system ever available for the Murano. I have not looked to find out but since they did not wire the Sat, I would bet that they didn't wire for this. I tried to take the armrest apart once to see if it is there but have did not put enough time into it to get anywhere.

The connector in the FX pictures does look like simply like an extension of the NBus off the back of the Murano Head Unit. Pins 1, 2, 3, and 4 on the FX cable perform the same function as 1, 2, 3, and 4 on the SAT connector, so this is why I believe they are the same, even though this is a weak hypothesis. If this would work then someone could manufacture an RCA or Stereo adapter for the Murano.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wait a minute....I can remember the DVD system being one of their selling points in the Murano. It was conspicuously printed in their sales literature. Are you saying that was propaganda? Has Nissan taken one step forward and two steps back?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Well they still don't officially support the SAT in the Murano and do not have a kit specifically for the Murano to upgrade it. I think the problem is the same as the SAT in that it is just not pre-wired to support the DVD. When I called Nissan about a month ago they said that they did plan to sell a pre-wire to add Sat to the 03 Murano, but specifically said that they would not for the DVD.

If Nbus is CENET, then theoretically it should support up to four devices from a single drop though the use of Y adapters, but someone would need to develop a CENET to Nbus adapter.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Me being the hands-on person I am, I took my ceter console apart with the hopes of finding an orphaned cable assembly waiting to be used. Well folks..sorry..nothing down there. I did find a rather robust control module down there though. Turns out to be the Airbag Diagnostic Module (according to my service manual).

·
4,664 Posts
Unfortunately, if it was that easy we would have figured it out already... My work has been stalled as I've just been too busy!:3:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts