Nissan Murano Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Nissan Enthusiast
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Has anyone investigated this any further (see quote below)? Has anyone been able to verify what these pins are labeled in the SM. I cannot seem to find them. I am willing to be give it a go but I need a little more evidence before becoming a sacrificial lamb.

Has anyone tried to short the two pins 9 and 11 together on the SAT receiver side of the harness like on the FX-35/45 rear seat DVD solution? The connector for the DVD in the FX looks just like the other end of the SAT harness. On the FX this fools the HU to think their the rear seat DVD is installed and pins 1, 2, 3, and 4 are the L+, L-, R+, R-.

·
4,664 Posts
No, they don't exist in the SM... But they do exist in the SM for the FX. However the wiring information is not complete, as there is an additional harness for the FX which takes it to the SAT pinout and connector.

I've gone looking and tried looping pins, but with no success. To answer a question way back in the thread, the captured sequence is from power up, to SAT on, the SAT off and power down.

That's enough to start with, I can capture more as needed.

The head unit sends out enquiries and if there is a SAT unit or CD changer (DVD or MD?) they respond.

To make it more confusing there's three communication lines.

If you're a bit head and want to try to figure it out, let me know and I'll pass a copy of the file. It's only good if you understand Logic Analyzers....

·
Registered
255 Posts
jaak said:
I've gone looking and tried looping pins, but with no success. To answer a question way back in the thread, the captured sequence is from power up, to SAT on, the SAT off and power down.
Jaak, does this imply that you tried the FX/IPOD solution on the Murano's SAT connector and it did not work?

·
Nissan Enthusiast
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Jaak:

I just find it interesting that Nissan or their electronics vendor would do a costly thing like re-engineer the Murano radio. It seems to me that the radios in the FX and Murano should in some respects be identical. The SAT issue is a prime example. Why didnt they re-engineer the SAT port and make it proprietary to the Murano? Probably becuase it would be cost prohibitive. So if you follow that logic then there should be a pin loop combination that should open the DVD audio ports, like on the FX.

Anyway....I was also wondering....I sincerely have no interest in Satellite radio right now BUT if I did have a SAT receiver connected to my HU couldn't I just tap into the audio inputs (post SAT/pre HU) and pump in DVD audio when requesting SAT on the HU. Wouldnt the radio just sit there silent with a subscriber message or something on the display and wouldnt the audio inputs also just sit there open?

·
Nissan Enthusiast
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
jaak....why does the diagnostics program in the MO Head Unit ask if there is a SAT or CD Changer present? If this head unit has some kind of semi-sophisticated data line to the SAT then why can't it poll the SAT directly to find out if one is there?

·
4,664 Posts
generator said:
Jaak:

I just find it interesting that Nissan or their electronics vendor would do a costly thing like re-engineer the Murano radio. It seems to me that the radios in the FX and Murano should in some respects be identical. The SAT issue is a prime example. Why didnt they re-engineer the SAT port and make it proprietary to the Murano? Probably becuase it would be cost prohibitive. So if you follow that logic then there should be a pin loop combination that should open the DVD audio ports, like on the FX.

Anyway....I was also wondering....I sincerely have no interest in Satellite radio right now BUT if I did have a SAT receiver connected to my HU couldn't I just tap into the audio inputs (post SAT/pre HU) and pump in DVD audio when requesting SAT on the HU. Wouldnt the radio just sit there silent with a subscriber message or something on the display and wouldnt the audio inputs also just sit there open?
I'm not saying it won't work, but I looked and looked and looked and couldn't figure out how it worked if it does. I've got the service manuals for the MO and the FX.

So it could work, I just couldn't see how. I'd love for someone to prove me wrong, as I'd use it too!!!:D

·
4,664 Posts
generator said:
jaak....why does the diagnostics program in the MO Head Unit ask if there is a SAT or CD Changer present? If this head unit has some kind of semi-sophisticated data line to the SAT then why can't it poll the SAT directly to find out if one is there?
The diagnostics program doesn't talk to the accessories, it only asks you this, to see if it should poll them for firmware revision numbers.

If you tell it they don't exist, it doesn't try to get the firmware version.

Now, there is a fellow who's put a PhatNoise box in his G and they had two versions of the code, one that emulates the CD changer and one that emulates the SAT. So they've got it figured out.... And they're charging for it!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have taken apart whole armrest and well there is two harness there covered with yellow masking tape. One looks like typical white plug that goes in back of radio and other look like a S-Video cable. I'm assuming white harness is for Radio and S-video is maybe a hidden SAT antenna. Any input?

I'll take picture if you guys wanna see it.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Pictures PICTURES PICTURES,, Wonder how we can use it? GRIP :D Generator what do you think?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Digital said:
I have taken apart whole armrest and well there is two harness there covered with yellow masking tape. One looks like typical white plug that goes in back of radio and other look like a S-Video cable. I'm assuming white harness is for Radio and S-video is maybe a hidden SAT antenna. Any input?
Wouldn't these be the cables for the DVD entertainment system? :confused: I don't have it in my MO, but I thought the screen fit on the back of the center console.

Tex

·
5,100 Posts
You may well be right, however I would love to se the routing of the S video cable. could we use it for something? Where does it go and come from. ? Picture and details if possible. Thx. Grip :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
There is no such cable listen in 2003 to 2005 service manual. Thats the confusing part, why that cable is not listed or have diagram. The best bet is White harness is for sound and power from CD player and S-Video come from a DVD player.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Video Cable

Could this cable be used for DVD NAV and be coming from Display screen above audio and HVAC?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I dont think thats it, since i already have NAV.

·
Registered
758 Posts
NAV

Sorry Digital, I didn't know you had the NAV. Don't know why I'm butting in because I'm an electronics Moron, at least in respect to alot of the other members on this forum anyway.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I should have clearified that.

·
5,100 Posts
I don't see a Video cable ? That is the back of LCD on the left. If I missed out help me? GRIP :D

PS Mr. "Z" where are those promised pictures?

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Grip this might be a silly question but what LCD is that, dash or rear of console? Doesnt look like dash lcd but connector looks similar.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts