Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The outside temperature reading on my 09 seems to read consistently 4 or 5 degrees higher than what the actual outside temperature is, has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine seems to be correct and being in the mountains of North Carolina I have seen temps from 15 degrees earlier this year to and unusual high of 94 yesterday.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
What is "correct" is usually taken in the shade.
What the Murano reports is often in the sun.

Homer

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
hfelknor said:
What is "correct" is usually taken in the shade.
What the Murano reports is often in the sun.

Homer
You should see the readings on my sun baked BLACK Murano. Jeesh! You'd think ya live in the Serengeti.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Its probably the same in the 09 as for the 03, the sensor picks up road heat so it can through it off. As Homer mentioned, the shade is the best place for an accurate reading.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
In the Summer months, the temp sensor is most accurate when driving at speed on a concrete road.

If driving at slow speeds on blacktop the temp reading will be high.

-Joe

·
MO'ing since 5/16/07
341 Posts
southbayedub said:
How do you even get the outside temperature to show? Maybe I should read my manual. LOL.

Eric
I just look at the screen. I don't think it's even possible to make it go away. But maybe the '09 has changed. :D

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
On the 2009 MO the outside temperature is displayed on a relatively tiny screen located on the dash in front of the driver, out of the sight of the passenger. The designers goofed on that one.

-njjoe

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've yet to see a car (Murano or not) with an outside temp reading that was really accurate - especially during the day. Between the engine heat and the proximity to the road, there's too much heat being thrown off to get the same measure as you'd get standing under a tree.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
jfc1 said:
I've yet to see a car (Murano or not) with an outside temp reading that was really accurate - especially during the day. Between the engine heat and the proximity to the road, there's too much heat being thrown off to get the same measure as you'd get standing under a tree.
Once moving at a decent pace the engine heat will have no effect on the temperature sensor.

-njjoe

·
Registered
10 Posts
njjoe said:

Once moving at a decent pace the engine heat will have no effect on the temperature sensor.

-njjoe
Not to dispute your belief, but my experience this week driving in excess of 60 MPH showed that the temperature was routinely 4 to 5 degrees above actual. But if you'll agree that the temperature can be inaccurate at slow speeds, then it's apparent that the outside temperature reading can, at times, be suspect.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
jfc1-

I agree with you.

The outside temperature sensor is not as accurate an instrument as it could be.

-njjoe

·
Registered
15 Posts
jfc1 said:

Not to dispute your belief, but my experience this week driving in excess of 60 MPH showed that the temperature was routinely 4 to 5 degrees above actual. But if you'll agree that the temperature can be inaccurate at slow speeds, then it's apparent that the outside temperature reading can, at times, be suspect.
Out of curiosity, how do you know what the "actual" temperature was and how did you measure that?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Ah......beat me to it....
I hope the answer is not that that was the temp at the airport in the shade.........

Homer

·
Registered
1 Posts
My inside temperature display on my 2015 Nissan Murano is stuck on 67°. It’s actually 74
it’s been doing this often on for about three days. Can you tell me what Controls that indicator, please?

·
Registered
565 Posts
My inside temperature display on my 2015 Nissan Murano is stuck on 67°. It’s actually 74
it’s been doing this often on for about three days. Can you tell me what Controls that indicator, please?
Wrong forum. But, the temperature reading on your dash display comes from a sensor mounted behind the front grille.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have to disagree, mine is spot on whether I’m moving or standing still. Unlike my Ford edge which is always 5 to 6° off

1 - 18 of 18 Posts