Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving along the highway coming home from Toronto and I totally forgot to fill up and was running on fumes. I got off the highway and just made it to Sunoco (My MO is spoiled with Ultra 94 :) ) . I started filling up because the price was alot better then in my home town and I was not paying attention to the pump. A few minutes go by without problem and all of a sudden some gas spews out of the murano onto the ground and i stopped it very quickly only spilling a bit despite the nozzle failing to kick back. At this time i took a look at the pump and noticed that i had filled over 87 litres of gas into murano! So i cracked open my manual to find that muranos tank is only 82 litres big. hmm, i thought the machine might be trying to rip me off, so I talked to the manager inside the gas bar and he said there is nothing that can be done, they have to go by the pump when deciding what should be paid. He gave me a Sunoco "hotline" number, i paid, and off i went. After calling the hotline they said it was odd and a supervisor would call me back a few days later. I got a call back a few days later and he told me to call Nissan, and if Nissan said it was normal for that to happen, then nothing would be done. If Nissan said its the pump which screwed up, then he would reemburse me for the tank of gas. After calling Nissan, they told me that in the Murano, it is possible to overfill the car over 10 litres! (engine, pipes connecting engine to fuel tank, and fuel tank) Now, Im not sure if im stupid to not think that this could of happened, but I have never owned a car that filled above the tanks capacity! and especially 10 litres!

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
It is true that you have excess capacity due to filler tube and what not, but we have to assume that the fuel you still had in the car (even if you were running on fumes) was enough to at least fill the pipes. Therefore, the most you should have been able to fillup was a tad over 21.7 us gallons or 83 liters. So unless you spilled 4 liters of gas, they probably charged you too much...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See, thats exactly what i thought, because i barely spilt anything...except, Nissan themselves told me i can fill up to 10 litres over the tanks capacity!

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Due to variations in manufacturing processes and suppliers, it is possible that one gas tank assembly may have a slightly different capacity than another. Nissan considers this fact and will list the capacity as the smallest of their samples. 82 liters is the minimum amount required to fill a bone-dry tank. A 2.5% variation in the capacity of the molded plastic tank would yield a change in capacity of 2 liters (from 82 to 84 liters).

The fill and vent tubes may have a capacity of 2 - 3 liters.

So it is possible for your car to accept 87 liters, but only if the tank is virtually bone dry (and assuming you spilled a liter or so).

Now having said that, it is also possible (and likely) the gasoline was metered incorrectly.

-njjoe

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Kocioblue MO-

Since it looks like your Sunoco station is incorrectly metering gasoline, I suggest you send an email to Measurement Canada and let them know they need to take a closer look at what's going on.

-njjoe

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey, thanks for the replies,
Im going to contact whoever is in charge of measurement control in Canada sometime next week. That was simply too much gas because i didnt overflow very much..

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
10 liters seems an awful lot of extra space for gas capacity, but I suppose its possible.

I've had the gas pump fail to shut off once and some gas did spill out. I was honestly more worried about damage to the paint than the extra cost of wasted gas.

·
5,244 Posts
10l equals 2.64 gallons (US). I found it difficult to believe you can "overfill" your tank but that much. I also do not believe the manufacturing tolerances allow for such variations. I have seen DTE *.* A few times (I know it was stupid but I still retained control). I have never ever put more than 20 gallons (75.7 liters). There is something “fishy” about your case………IMHO

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey everyone,
I too think somethings fishy..knowing my service department, they told me its normal because they would of feared of me coming in and complaining about something else in the car...so im guessing they shrugged me off with that "10 litre leeway" bull crap. So im guessing its the pump thats slowly ripping people off. Another thing, i dont think this has anything to do with the pump problem, but it was the first sunoco that had its 94 octane pump mixed in with regular and mid grade hose..what i mean by that is, all the other sunocos i fill up at have a seperate hose for ultra 94, but this one had all 3 grades mixed into one pump, one hose, and one meter.

·
Registered
358 Posts
How long was the hose from the pump to the handle?

Reason I ask is I have noticed a lot of people these days pulling the same trick as they did back in the 70s. They pump til they can't pump any more (either by the limit set inside the station or the first "kick-off" by the overflow mech in the nozzle), then they turn off the pump and drain all the fuel from the hose into their tank.

They get a gallon or two of gas that the next customer pays for.

A long hose can hold a lot more gas than you'd think.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
forget the added cost of the fuel, be more concerned with the fact that this pump is defective and did not shut off when it should. Not only is that bad for the paint, but it's dangerous and VERY bad for the environment to have gas leaking out. That station should have immediately come out to clean it up, pay to have your car washed, and make sure you didn't get any fuel on yourself.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
TheGymKid said:
Anyone hear a story about using a cell phone and it igniting the fuel at a gas pump?
They tested this on Mythbusters. On a normally functioning cell phone, no chance of ignition. If the battery is shorted however, such as in case of an imitation clone battery, its possible.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi,
I didn't make this clear before, but I wasn't really concerned about the extra cost of the fuel, I was just pissed off first of all that the pump DIDN'T kick back, and the fact that the manager, (who didn't speak any english) was in no hurry to correct the obvious error the pump was making. My Murano was washed immediatly after because I had purchased a touchless wash with the gas. :) So that, combined with my Nissan Service department telling me up to 10 litres over is normal is what made me somewhat angry...

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
One reason the pump might not have stopped is if you did not achieve a good seal between the nozzle and the tank filler. The "stop mechanism" replies on sensing pressure from a small tube inside your tank that fills up when the tank gets near to full.

I admit this has happened to me a few times over the years.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Eric L. said:
One reason the pump might not have stopped is if you did not achieve a good seal between the nozzle and the tank filler. The "stop mechanism" replies on sensing pressure from a small tube inside your tank that fills up when the tank gets near to full.

I admit this has happened to me a few times over the years.
Actually, the "stop mechanism" has nothing to do with the small tube inside your tank. However, it has everything to do with a small tube inside the pump nozzle. Suction is applied to the small tube using a venturi. When the tank is not full, the small tube is open, and air is drawn in. When gasoline in your tank's filler pipe rises high enough to block the hole in the venturi tube, the nozzle's shut-off mechanism will trip.

If the nozzle is repeatedly dropped the venturi tube opening at the end of the nozzle can become restricted. This will cause the nozzle to shut-down before the tank is full.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
njjoe said:

Actually, the "stop mechanism" has nothing to do with the small tube inside your tank. However, it has everything to do with a small tube inside the pump nozzle. Suction is applied to the small tube using a venturi. When the tank is not full, the small tube is open, and air is drawn in. When gasoline in your tank's filler pipe rises high enough to block the hole in the venturi tube, the nozzle's shut-off mechanism will trip.

If the nozzle is repeatedly dropped the venturi tube opening at the end of the nozzle can become restricted. This will cause the nozzle to shut-down before the tank is full.

-njjoe
Yeah thats the tube I was referring to. Its Monday.....:p

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
TheGymKid said:
Anyone hear a story about using a cell phone and it igniting the fuel at a gas pump?
There was a video on the internet where a women was filling up...

Locked the pump to fill and went back into her car. The pump clicked off and she came out of her car (built up some static). Touched the nozzel and you can see the big flash from the "mini" explosion. Her reaction was to pull the nozel out of the car which made it worse as now there was gas all over the place with a fire.

The best advise... if this every happens to you (which is probably won't every for your life time) is to release the nozzel, leave the nozzel in the car's filler port and just back away.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I managed to fit 86 litres in, no spillage.

I managed to fit 86 litres in my Murano this weekend. A little scary because I didn't think I was that low on gas. We'll see how it goes on next fill up! I may start keeping a small Jerry can in the car...

W

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Re: I managed to fit 86 litres in, no spillage.

WarrenLong said:
I managed to fit 86 litres in my Murano this weekend. A little scary because I didn't think I was that low on gas. We'll see how it goes on next fill up! I may start keeping a small Jerry can in the car...

W
I think the problems is with you Canadians and that damn metric system. Change over to gallons and there won't be any problems. :jump3:

-njjoe :ucrazy:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts