Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here and I just bought an '05 FWD SL w/Touring Pkg last week. All 4 tires are reading 42psi after bringing it home from the dealer. I am just using a cheap "stick-type" tire pressure gauge. Is it possible the dealer/factory has the tires overinflated this much? Or is it more likely my tester is no good?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Cards1 said:
I am new here and I just bought an '05 FWD SL w/Touring Pkg last week. All 4 tires are reading 42psi after bringing it home from the dealer. I am just using a cheap "stick-type" tire pressure gauge. Is it possible the dealer/factory has the tires overinflated this much? Or is it more likely my tester is no good?
Is that cold pressure, or "after bringing it home from the dealer" meaning you just drove it for 60 miles and then tested your pressure? :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I tested them cold. They all showed about the same, between 42 and 43 psi. I noticed that the tires themselves say max pressure 44psi. Do you think they just went by that, rather than the sticker on the door?

·
Registered
175 Posts
This is part of the PDI (pre delivery inspection) we're fleeced hundreds of dollars for. Nissan recommends 33psi.

BTW, congratulations on your new MO!! :2:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I thought my tire pressure gauge was bad at first, but seeing as how I got the same reading on all 4 tires, I guess I will just let some air out. Love the new MO.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Cards1 said:
Thanks guys. I thought my tire pressure gauge was bad at first, but seeing as how I got the same reading on all 4 tires, I guess I will just let some air out. Love the new MO.
Well, if your gauge is bad (bad spring?), the same pressure on all tires simply means the innaccuracy is consistent.

Your tires MIGHT have 33psi all around, and if your gauge is just off by 9psi, all tires will read 42psi.

Try using a known reliable gauge before you let air out of your tires. You'll be better off driving to a tire shop and getting them checked on 42psi, than driving around on 24psi looking for a compressor to fill them back up. :)

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The tires are overflated before delivery so the tires won't go flat during the shipping process. These cars might sit on the dealer lots for months (although not likely for a Murano) and it would be pretty bad if a customer went to test drive a Murano and the first thing they noticed was the chirping klaxons from the tire pressure monitor if the tires are low from neglect.

However, the dealer should have set your tires to proper inflation before you left the dealership. I think its actually good practice for the dealer to slightly overinflate tires since most people don't check the pressure very often anyways. Those that do, wouldn't mind letting some air out to suit their preferences.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm bringing this thread back up because I'm confused. Do I inflate my tires based on what the tire itself recommends (Goodyear Eagle, 44 max) or what it says on the driver's door (31)?
Hamish

·
Registered
175 Posts
Use Nissan's recommendation on the door, for my '05 the pressure is 33 psi.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Wow, I would have been glad to have had 42 pounds.
Mine was delivered to me with 50lbs all aound. I toasted the dealership on the satisfaction survey they sent.

Last checkup, I asked for 35 front, 33 rear. They gave it back to me me with 37 all aound, can't wait for the next survey!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Yep, I was pissed.
I thought that having that much air in the tires could be a dangerous situation and that's why I toasted the dealership on the survey!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Call all the dealers you can think of.......of cars that are imported to the US from japan.
I think you will find that all of them (from Japan) come in with <>50 pounds of air.
They do that to keep the tires from flatspotting on the ship (3 weeks in one spot) and they also are able to tie the cars down closer to each other (as close as 2") because the cars do not tend to "lurch" around.

This was the "official" answer from Mazda some years ago on the Miata forum.

Obviously they are supposed to reduce that pressure to whatever the factory recommends before sale.

Mine were fine on my Murano.:)

But my Miata was 52 pounds all around when I got it home.:rolleyes:

Homer

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Why can't most dealers get even the simplest tasks right?

I waited two weeks for my MO (Platinum was hard to get) and went to pick it up the day after it arrived. I was told the shop needed a few hours to prep the car. My sales rep told me they give it a comprehensive check. How comprehensive could it have been if all four tires were over-inflated to 42 psi?? What else didn't they check?

Customer Service? It's a thing of the past as far as Nissan is concerned.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I recently had my local dealership check out my slowly leaking tire (nail). The strangest thing was that they could not fix the tire. They stated that they cannot do the work since they are not insured to (or something like that). How could that be? That should be a simple task/repair that any shop could do. They can take off and put new tires on but cannot fix a tire. :confused: But to get back to the subject of the topic. I picked up my car and the tire was inflated up to 52lbs!!!! All other were at 33lbs.

Also... When I bought a Maxima in 2001 (from MA and drove back to NYC), I found out a few days later that the tires were inflated to about 45lbs!!!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
To find a slow leak, it is common practice to overinflate the tire.

Perhaps the hole is in such a location that they will not attempt it.
Generally speaking, no one will patch a sidewall, or even right at the point where the tread becomes the sidewall.
For the most part, you can patch those areas but they won't stay patched.

In any event, it appears that they just forgot to return the tire to 33 pounds.
It happens.

Homer

·
Registered
545 Posts
recently had my local dealership check out my slowly leaking tire (nail). The strangest thing was that they could not fix the tire. They stated that they cannot do the work since they are not insured to (or something like that). How could that be? That should be a simple task/repair that any shop could do

Mozman

I had a tire repaired by my dealership due to a nail puncture. They put in a mushroom plug and charged me $25.00. Needless to say, the plug didn't work and I was compelled to buy a new OEM tire. The $25.00 was well spent though, because I now know how totally inept the service techs really are at my dealership.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
mozman said:
I recently had my local dealership check out my slowly leaking tire (nail). The strangest thing was that they could not fix the tire. They stated that they cannot do the work since they are not insured to (or something like that). How could that be? That should be a simple task/repair that any shop could do. They can take off and put new tires on but cannot fix a tire. :confused: But to get back to the subject of the topic. I picked up my car and the tire was inflated up to 52lbs!!!! All other were at 33lbs.

Also... When I bought a Maxima in 2001 (from MA and drove back to NYC), I found out a few days later that the tires were inflated to about 45lbs!!!
Sounds like your $tealership just wants to sell you a tire.

Take it to a local tire chain shop (like Big O or similar) and they'll install the mushroom patch/plug for you. Its goes on inside the tire, the plug seals the hole, and the patch is vulcanized to the inside of the tire, making it air tight.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I had the tire fixed at different shop... no more leaks. :)

The dealership didn't try to sell me a tire. I go there often enough and have a good enough relationship with the service advisors for them to try to pull something like that on me. Also I get free tires for life from them, as they offer that for all cars they sell... I wonder if an unrepairable tire is covered under that free tire guarantee... I'll have to read that agreement again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts