Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's hard to find things not to like about the Murano (I have a silver SL AWD with everything). But I have managed to uncover a few dislikes I'm hoping Nissan will reconsider for the next production and wanted to pass them onto you.

The sun visors are really cheap and clumsy. Mine don't really fit into the holders in the headliner so they don't stow as nicely as they should. And they're thin and flimsy. They stand out as being really cheap among the rest of the interior.

The 2001 Pathfinders (I've owned 2001 and 2002 LEs) had an "auto" headlight feature that would allow you to leave your lights on all the time without having to turn them off upon exiting the vehicle; they'd go off on their own in like 30 seconds. The 2002 Pathfinders got rid of this and the Murano has followed suit. For those of us who like to drive with lights on all the time, day or night, this is a missed feature.

It would be nice to have a tray in the center console that allowed you to put 30 CDs in it (right now you have to turn them sideways in the tray and can only fit as many as the tray is wide). This would allow you to put 30 CDs in the bottom of the console and 30 more in the tray that could be lifted out for quick access to CDs at the bottom. As it is now, if you want to take 60 CDs with you in the console, it's a bit difficult.

The cargo net is odd. I kept mine from one of my old Pathfinders and am actually using it instead of/in addition to the Murano net. The Murano net is hard to figure out. There are these wierd pulley clips that are almost impossible to work with when you want to loosen or cinch up the net, especially in the cold with gloves on! And the net doesn't hang as nicely in the trunk as the Pathfinder nets if you want to use if for a small amount of groceries (i.e., hook all top hooks to the same D-ring to form a pocket, rather than two hooks to the top and two hooks behind the seats). If you use this configuration and fill it with groceries, you've got stuff that easily spills out of the ends of the Murano net.

I don't think the back hatch is as light and easy to lift as it's promoted. Again, compared to the Pathfinders I've had, the gate actually feels heavier to lift! However, you can lift it part of the way and get it to raise up on its own without much effort.

There's an annoying rattle in the pillar behind my left ear that's driving me nuts and something chattering under the dash slightly. I'm sure I'll figure out how to fix this, but in the mean time it's detracting from the nice ride!

CVT does take some getting used to ... And I'm still breaking mine in so I haven't really gunned it yet, but it doesn't seem as spritely as the Pathfinder. However, I'm sure once I've got some miles on it and can really put it through the paces, I'll be pleased.

Gas mileage has been around 16 in the city. I was hoping for more. But, it's also the holiday season and there's been lots of traffic ... We're driving it to Ohio (from DC) this weekend and we'll see what it does on the long stretches of highway.

All said, the Murano is an EXCELLENT choice. There's TONS of stuff I absolutely LOVE about this thing and can't imagine how I lived with out it all these years. The negatives are admittedly MINOR and can be worked around with little effort. I just thought I'd post some feedback of my experiences for those of you who haven't bought yet and are curious if there ARE negatives, if you can truly call them that! Like I said, it's hard to find things NOT to like!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just purchased mine last night and so far the only complaint I have is that the sun visor clips, as mentioned, are very cheap. The visors themselves feel substantial, but why they could use clips that held them in firmly is beyond me.

I'll keep you posted if i have anymore gripes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Had the car for three days and just three complaints so far:

1) The drivers seat rocks a bit ...has a little play in it. I heard this complaint before.
2) The cup holders are too big ...they can't securly hold my 500ml bottle of water. It can actually fall over, unless I have another bottle next to it.
3) No lighting in the rear cargo area. Can't see a darn thing at night.

Aside from that, the Murano is an amazing machine and (from the guy that thought it was way too expensive) it's worth every penny.

By the way, there is an auto feature in my SE where the lights turn off five minutes after leaving the vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rear Cargo Light...

Have you checked for a light on the rear hatch? We borrowed one overnight last week, and I believe there's a light on the hatch. You'll have to flip a switch, kind of like the ceiling switch.

Good luck. I sure hope I'm not imagining this...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Cargo Light?

Still in the test drive mode, but have not looked for a cargo light. My 91 Explorer had a cargo light so Murano better have one!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Fortunately, I haven't had a problem with any of the seats rocking.

As far as cargo lighting goes, there are 2 lights on the rear hatch door that will turn on when the hatch is opened and off when it is closed. There are also 2 rear passenger ceiling lights that can also be set to turn on and off when the rear side-door is opened. This lighting is in the owner's manual.

As far as the water bottle goes, have you tried flipping down the drink retainer flap? It lies just underneath the drink holder popup lid, and you have to use this to prevent small containers from sliding from side to side. With this down, you shouldn't need another bottle next to it. This is another feature illustrated in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Awesome!! Found the lights and found the drink retainer flap. Now the Murano is better than perfect.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
116 Posts
You're welcome!

Anyone having difficulty with the center console lid shutting? I have to really slam it to get it to latch. The dealership said that's just the way it is but I find it hard to believe I should have to slam it multiple times just to get it to stay closed.

I'll call the Nissan Customer Service number and speak with someone there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Console Lid

On my first close up inspection of the vehicle in the show room, I did notice the lid would not close. I assumed it was a one of a kind issue with this specific vehicle, so I did not mention it here.

I did make a point to test it on the vehicle I took my first test drive in and it worked fine. Hopefully it is just a minor adjustment to the latch or lid position.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's me again

I started this chain and thought I'd update it after our trip to Ohio, PA, and back to DC. Have almost 2,000 miles on it now and have spent lots of quality time in the truck!

The cargo net thing I mentioned earlier is a non-issue. The dealer had it installed wrong and it the proper way to set it up didn't occur to me until the middle of the night several days later! Yes, I have Murano dreams -- even now that I own one! :)

The Murano does have a 45-second or 5-minute off feature for the headlights, however, the 2001 and older Pathfinders used to have a feature where it turned of the lights as soon as you opened the driver door. This was nice ...

I miss the sunglass holder of the Pathfinders and Maximas, but the small storage area under the floating console helps minimize my gripe.

Acceleration from 0 still feels slow, even in the S Drive mode. It's got lots of midrange and high end acceleration though, nice for passing.

If you've got dogs or use the cargo area a lot, invest in the bumper protector (black plastic piece that sticks to the top of the back bumper and protects from scratches) and a cargo protector (thick vinyl mat that's water proof). We've got two 100 lb. dogs -- which fit no problem in the back with the seats UP -- and wanted to keep the back scratch- and mud-free!

The rattle I was hearing behind my left ear is still there. I've narrowed my search down to the long plastic piece on the driver's door that's just to the left of the leather-looking soft vinyl piece. The dealership's going to take a look at it ... I've also uncovered a rattling (or "snapping" noise?) in both smaller rear windows (either side of the cargo area).

I haven't had any problems with the center console closing. And that flip down cup thing is handy ...

Foglights don't really seem like they do much. More cosmetic than anything? With those bright Xenons, you can hardly tell when the foglights are on or off.

Had this thing going up and down lots of hills and it was VERY smooooooth all the way. Wierd at first, but nice!

Got to drive this thing in deep snow and even with the AWD lock engaged and driving under 20 mph (trying to get out of a snow bank) it didn't appear to be as confident in the deep stuff as the Pathfinder in 4x4 High. But that was my first and only crack at this in the Murano. I'm looking forward to lots of other opportunities ...

I have to make a point again about the Murano and cold weather, snow, and ice. I got a chance to scrape ice and snow off of it over the holidays. I soon realized that if you aren't careful you could easily break plastic pieces. In extreme cold (like we'd see in Fairbanks, Alaska), I envision lots of stuff breaking, especially the plastic pieces over the headlights and taillights and D-clips in the cargo area, probably the roof crossbars and such, too. But even in not so cold weather, if you've got ice -- be careful! Those mounds on the front headlight covers make it hard to get ice off of the headlights and if you're using a "scraper" you could do some damage.

And the windshield wipers in the front are ridiculous ... When you try to lift them up to scrape us from under them -- or to lift them up and slap them down to get ice off of them -- they won't lift out and over the hood. They get stuck under the lip of the hood making ice removal in this area next to impossible.

Tried checking the oil while we were on our trip and had to look in the manual to find the interior hood release -- and then STILL couldn't find it! Granted, I was sitting in the passenger seat a the time, but the black on black hood release symbol WAY under the dash was as good as invisible.

Don't like the SL wheels. That brushed aluminum doesn't "go." Thinking about getting the shiny chrome wheels when they come out, although they aren't my favorite, either. But these seem to go with the chrome details on the exterior much better ...

If I had to choose one word to describe the compass (in the rear view mirror), "Worthless." The rotating digital compass of the Pathfinders (01 and 02) were MUCH more useful ...

But I still LOVE it!!! Again, I'm only displaying this stuff to give you an idea of the dislikes, minor as they are. And there's lots and lots of buzz still from the masses when I drive this thing. People stop me all the time and ask me what it is -- and how much it cost. Still haven't seen another one on the road in this area (DC) although my dealership says they've sold a bunch.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I hate to come across as a jerk, but I wish people would actually use the owner's manual before sighting complaints. The cargo net is nicely illustrated in the book as to how it should be installed.

Ok, got that off my chest! :D

The dealership has ordered a new center console for me. The lid will only close when it is slammed. Hopefully the replacement will not have the same problem. It's too bad that it wasn't designed with possible adjustment because it seems silly to have to replace the whole thing for a lid and latch that aren't aligned properly.

I agree that the fog lights are more for show rather than function. If they were there for function you'd be able to operate them without having the headlights on. The whole point behind foglights is to have a light source low on the vehicle so the light doesn't bounce back and create glare for the driver. That's the reason why you don't use high beams in fog or a snowstorm. They designed the Murano so you have to use the Xenons regardless. Oh well, they do look pretty cool though. :p

Jen, I have the same rattle or snapping sound in my left ear as well. Keep us posted if you pinpoint the problem because it is driving me crazy. Fortunately I only hear it when I hit a big bump, but considering I've been in Michigan for a few days with more bumps than smooth road, I've had to hear it quite a bit lately.

I have just over 1200 miles on my car now and hope that is doesn't become a squeak and rattle mobile. My '94 Honda Accord had no squeaks or rattles after 170,000 miles. For some reason, I doubt the Murano will match that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Taylormade, I did look through the owner's manual -- thank you very much! I wish before people "got things off their chest" they'd give people the benefit of the doubt ... :)

Anywho ... the way this thing was installed in my Murano (by the dealer), even the pictures didn't help. And I still like my Pathfinder net better ...

I'll keep you posted about the rattle. I know where it's coming from now (1,700 miles later). Now we'll see what the dealer can do with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had over 2000 miles on mine so far, the only complaint i have is that visor. wifey put a cd caddy on it and does not seem that it can handle any weight at all causing a little noise.

:p

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Location of Rattle

I stated this earlier, but here it is again ... The rattle's coming from driver door, where plastic meets pleather, near top (next to pillar). If I push in on the door here while driving, rattle goes away. And I can manipulate the door in this area to get it to make the noise, as well.

Haven't had a chance to bring it into the dealer yet to have it checked out ...

And, Taylormade, you're forgiven! :wink:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Door Seal Rattles / Popping Noise fixed

After service for that “Suspension Popping Noise” the Murano is so quiet, I started to notice a slight but incredibly annoying rattling sound coming from the drivers-side door. My service tech and I went through a road test and decided it was the weather-seals. We tried to lubricate with Silicone spray but that only helped for a small while. It seams that since I waxed the car (particularly the door jams) the rubber weather-stripping seals itself against the paint then breaks free when the body flexes and grips again. I scheduled another service date. Unfortunately, this time the noise was not remedied.

I am hoping someone will find out how to resolve the issue but for now, since its nothing critical, I just turn up the radio and ignore it.

P.S. When I brought my SE in for the Popping noise, the technician spent at least an hour road testing and talking with me to get to the bottom of it. Nissan engineers had identified the problem to be a production tab that needed to be trimmed from the suspension mounting grommet. (Since each is cut from a strip of grommets at time of assembly, that tab also needs to be removed). This service was performed and the noise is gone!

I couldn't ask for anything more from my NJ Nissan dealer/service team.

·
Registered
4 Posts
rattle in murano

I just had my rattle in the center pillar fixed. After 3 visits to the dealership and threats of leaving it until it is fixed, they spend 4 hours on it and found it was the wire to the side airbags not restrained. it was rattling with acceleration, braking and turning in both directions and drove me nuts. Now the Murano is a dream. Hope this helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts