Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been dealing with a P0011 for a few months now, haven't been able to figure out the cause but a few weeks ago it started having trouble starting up, I've attached a video below for reference. It has never failed to start, just takes a bit to start up (occurs on about 90% of starts). It doesn't cut out when driving, and is fine at low rpms. Solenoids, Camshaft Position Sensors, Battery, and Terminals are all cleared and I'm out of ideas. Can't afford a mechanic at the moment so I would love to see if I could fix this on my own. It's a 2006 SL AWD. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I would have your battery and alternator load tested just to be sure they are performing optimally, the battery sounds weak when starting... A low battery can also trigger random codes... If you have had battery terminal corrosion for a period of time in the past, one or more of the battery terminal cables may have internal corrosion, that can lead to high resistance and slow starting.

Looks like your engine has 192k miles on it, it sounds pretty worn to me...

·
Super Moderator
1,407 Posts
Try cleaning the MAF sensor. Be sure to use only MAF sensor cleaner. Let it fully air out before reinstalling.

The MAF sensor is located on the large bellow hose going from the air cleaner to the engine. At the same time, you might want to fully inspect the bellow hose for cracks that can develop down in the folds of the bellows.

Recently, I've been resolving hard starting, a little loss of acceleration power with cars that have high miles and only have seen basic maintenance, by simply replacing dirty air filters and cleaning the MAF sensors.

My brother's '02 Infinity, with the same 3.5L engine as the Murano, after full upper tune up, still had a terrible lag, lack of pickup and had been back to the shop twice. For S&G's, I suggested cleaning the MAF sensor, "What do you have to lose!". Upon removal, dirt was quite visible on the components inside. I cleaned it and he left for his 2 hour hour trip home.

Several hours later, I get a call and he's in amazement on how that simple cleaning got rid of all his engine lag issues and he couldn't believe the power the engine now had. Since then, he's noticed a improvement of over 10 MPG increase per tank. Since he has to drive 3 1/2 hours twice monthly, he's been saving some gas.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

PS I cleaned a '13's, with only 67K miles, MAF sensor and even though it didn't look dirty, better acceleration and a slight increase in MPG per tank was reported back to me.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I've been dealing with a P0011 for a few months now, haven't been able to figure out the cause but a few weeks ago it started having trouble starting up, I've attached a video below for reference. It has never failed to start, just takes a bit to start up (occurs on about 90% of starts). It doesn't cut out when driving, and is fine at low rpms. Solenoids, Camshaft Position Sensors, Battery, and Terminals are all cleared and I'm out of ideas. Can't afford a mechanic at the moment so I would love to see if I could fix this on my own. It's a 2006 SL AWD. Thanks!

In the video you linked, it looked like the dash lights just about all went dark when you were cranking the engine and it was very slow to turn over. This suggests a very weak battery and/or a connection issue. You said that the battery and terminals are "all cleared"--what does that mean? Did you replace battery or just clean up the connections? Have you checked the battery ground cable for excessive corrosion? You should visually inspect it all the way to where it terminates on the transmission.

·
Administrator
9,099 Posts
Your battery sounds nearly dead. If that wee my car, I'd have put a battery charger on it immediately.

Charge it up full, then test the battery and alternator using the process that I've cited at least a dozen times here - or go to youtube and search for "how to check battery and alternator."

·
Registered
733 Posts
Funny that my '03 did the same thing (P0011 codes in March), and she went for about 1,200 more miles before all hell broke loose where now she barely stays running once placed in D, and there's no power to even drive her in the driveway. I also feel I have a charging problem due to the oil getting all over the alternator. I almost suspect that's the only reason it won't move...just not enough juice to power everything. I might toss in a new, fully charged battery, fire her up (it's been over a month) and see what happens.

Bottom line is, I would also recommend rechecking/testing your charging system and checking all of your grounds and wires for any type of over-stiffness or corrosion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts