Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I got this P0441 code on my 2005 Murano. I have replaced the purge flow sensor three times OEM, Doorman, and generic, and the check engine light is still on. I recently replaced all catalytic converters, which I bought from amazon and they are the Evan Fisher brand. I am not very confident about their quality because I still get a burning oil smell from exhaust. My mechanic who is a friend also checks the exhaust pipes for the leak with the simple water spray test and he said there is no leak. I have replaced the fuel cap also. I don't get any other codes with my Autel OBD handheld and my buddy has a really expensive code reader and didn't get any other code with that either. I am tired of burning money for this car. Please help.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
How many miles do you have on your Murano?

Have you checked/replaced your gas cap?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have 225000 miles on my Murano.I got engine replaced at 200000 on my expense.Transmission replaced at 110000 by dealership due to recall.It’s very well maintained car. I have replaced the gas cap about a month ago.. Also , before I put new motor in my buddy changed all the spark plugs and ignition coils.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Possibly a long shot, but check the fuel vapor canister at the rear beneath the gas tank. The hose connection on mine had become dislodged and I started getting codes, but it happened years ago and I don't recall exactly what codes they were. I removed the hose/connection, then used epoxy to secure it back to the canister because one of the connector's plastic retention tabs had broken off. I recall there's a rubber O-ring that sits on the inlet portion of that plastic connection (from the hose) and those plastic, tapered tabs act like screw threads on the inner plastic flange area of the canister hole and compress the O-ring to create a tight seal. I think you only have to rotate that connection about 1/4 to have the tapered tabs align with the space in the flange to disconnect it. I recall trying to tighten it was a pain...probably because at the time I didn't realize a tab had broken off, so it wouldn't stay seated correctly. If it's not loose, maybe disconnec the rubber hose (without disturbing the plastic connecting area) and see if the hose has cracks or is clogged. Maybe some of the seasoned members here can shed some light on this, and weather it would cause the problem you're having.

It's been I think about six years and everything's been fine. I think something got kicked up from the road while driving and it impacted that hose and broke the connector. Attached are pics of mine..

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is very helpful information. Thanks for the a detailed explanation and the time it took for you to write that.I have replaced that sensor two years ago. I will check it again very thoroughly. I have a question, since I have replaced the catalyst converter not too long ago and I am not 100% sure of their quality because the smell from exhaust is still bad. Do you think one of the converter is under performing and causing this P0441 code but not for the converter? Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I think you left out a zero in one of your posts. Did you replace your engine at 200,000 or 20,000 at your expense?

A burning oil smell can be caused by a lot of things. Does it only smell like oil coming from the tailpipes? Does it smell like oil inside the cabin or just under the hood? It sounds like your exhaust doesn't have any leaks, so I'm guessing everythng is quiet when running. Was it just the CATs that were replaced, or the muffler too? If using the older muffler, maybe it has some kind of residual oil from the old engine and CATs, and it's just burning off and might take a while for the smell to burn off completely...or not....just trying to throw things out there. So, you haven't gotten any codes related to anything running rich or misfiring? DId your friend replace the PCV valve when he did the plugs and coils?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes the engine was replaced at 200000. Thanks for correcting me. My friend did not replace PCV valve and muffler. Only thing I noticed after the engine replacement was little hesitation after the stop on the road like at light. It was like the air is not passing trough. But then we cleaned the throttle body and throttle body relearn. It is smooth ride since then. No other notable noises.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Well, others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if you've got new CATs tied to an old muffler system, the new CATs might be pushing hotter, cleaner, higher-pressure emissions through that old muffler...a muffler which may be partially clogged or have metal and stuff flaking off inside, etc. It's at least possible that the muffler is the cause of the smell, depending on a few things which you didn't answer from my last post. The PCV valve...it's quick and inexpensive to do...I'd replace it to be safe. Pull the cowling for easy access...should take less than 20 minutes start to finish.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
That is very helpful information. Thanks for the a detailed explanation and the time it took for you to write that.I have replaced that sensor two years ago. I will check it again very thoroughly. I have a question, since I have replaced the catalyst converter not too long ago and I am not 100% sure of their quality because the smell from exhaust is still bad. Do you think one of the converter is under performing and causing this P0441 code but not for the converter? Thanks again for your help.
Catalytic converters are emissions control devices; however, they have absolutely nothing to do with the EVAP system.

Check the OBDII On-Board monitors in your scan tool and look at the EVAP leak test results (Gas cap 0.90, 0.40, and 0.20). They should list minimum, maximum, and actual test result values. What were the results?

BTW...when you replaced the purge control solenoid, did you verify that there's vacuum at the solenoid when it's opening? If it's not opening then the problem is likely with the circuit and not the solenoid itself given you've replaced it several times already.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you very much for your comment on this issue. I guess it is possible that the purge control valve harness is bad ? I will run the test again with my scan tool and try get more information. At the mean time, Do you have any idea how much it cost to replace that harness ? I do want say this is great site and you guys are all awesome.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Thank you very much for your comment on this issue. I guess it is possible that the purge control valve harness is bad ? I will run the test again with my scan tool and try get more information. At the mean time, Do you have any idea how much it cost to replace that harness ? I do want say this is great site and you guys are all awesome.
There are diagnostic procedures for checking that circuit in the service manual linked below (see "Engine Control System" file). You should be getting battery voltage at terminal 1 with key on/engine off and there should be continuity on the ground circuit between the ECM and purge control solenoid harness connectors.

With this code, don't assume it's the purge control valve that's the problem simply because "purge flow" is in the title of the DTC. It could be the vent valve or pressure sensor or a leak somewhere (...this is why I suggested looking at the on-board monitors for the leak tests).

https://www.nicoclub.com/nissan-service-manuals

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are diagnostic procedures for checking that circuit in the service manual linked below (see "Engine Control System" file). You should be getting battery voltage at terminal 1 with a key on/engine off. There should be continuity on the ground circuit between the ECM and purge control solenoid harness connectors.

With this code, don't assume it's the purge control valve that's the problem simply because "purge flow" is in the DTC title. It could be the vent valve or pressure sensor or a leak somewhere (...this is why I suggested looking at the onboard monitors for the leak tests).

https://www.nicoclub.com/nissan-service-manuals
Thanks for the useful information, and happy new year to you all here. Since we talk last time, I have replaced the muffler, taking care of the bad smell. I will get the smoke test done this weekend to see if there is a leak in the system. One more thing to mention here is I have never replaced the O2 sensors even though I have replaced the Catalyst converters and muffler, and I may end up doing that too. If that fixes my problem, that's fine. Otherwise, I will take it to the dealership to get diagnosed because I am getting an exhaust smell in the cabin when I turn the air on with A/C off. One more issue I am dealing with is when I push the pedal, my RPM goes high, and the front end .vibrates. If I take my foot off of the pedal for a second, then it goes smooth. I hope it's not the transmission. To me, it's more feels like the car can not breathe properly. To me, it looks more like an exhaust problem. Please advise.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if you've got new CATs tied to an old muffler system, the new CATs might be pushing hotter, cleaner, higher-pressure emissions through that old muffler...a muffler which may be partially clogged or have metal and stuff flaking off inside, etc. It's at least possible that the muffler is the cause of the smell, depending on a few things which you didn't answer from my last post. The PCV valve...it's quick and inexpensive to do...I'd replace it to be safe. Pull the cowling for easy access...should take less than 20 minutes start to finish.
Thanks for the useful information, and happy new year to you all here. Since we talk last time, I have replaced the muffler, taking care of the bad smell. I will get the smoke test done this weekend to see if there is a leak in the system. One more thing to mention here is I have never replaced the O2 sensors even though I have replaced the Catalyst converters and muffler, and I may end up doing that too. If that fixes my problem, that's fine. Otherwise, I will take it to the dealership to get diagnosed because I am getting an exhaust smell in the cabin when I turn the air on with A/C off. One more issue I am dealing with is when I push the pedal, my RPM goes high, and the front end .vibrates. If I take my foot off of the pedal for a second, then it goes smooth. I hope it's not the transmission. To me, it's more feels like the car can not breathe properly. To me, it looks more like an exhaust problem. Please advise.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
P0441: EVAP control system incorrect purge flow

A new O2 sensor is not going to fix an EVAP problem. What kind of scan tool do you have (brand and model number)?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

A new O2 sensor is not going to fix an EVAP problem. What kind of scan tool do you have (brand and model number)?

I have Autolink AL519. I am not a mechanic, and I don't know much about how to fix cars. I have a friend who is a mobile mechanic. This guy has a snap-on Zeus Model: EEMS342W scanner. I guess he has limited knowledge of his scan tool. He said he paid about $4000 for the scan tool. But the way he diagnoses and explains, he is not very confident. He is a sincere guy and doesn't charge me much. I was not going to able to replace all the parts and pay the full price to a well-established shop or dealership otherwise. Now I am in shape where I can't get rid of this car, and I can't spend a whole more either. Whatever he fixed never gave me any trouble again, but this P0441 stubborn code is not going away. I am meeting him again tomorrow to do a smoke test. He has a smoke machine, and I have a compressor. Let's see what happened, and I will let you posted.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I have Autolink AL519. I am not a mechanic, and I don't know much about how to fix cars. I have a friend who is a mobile mechanic. This guy has a snap-on Zeus Model: EEMS342W scanner. I guess he has limited knowledge of his scan tool. He said he paid about $4000 for the scan tool. But the way he diagnoses and explains, he is not very confident. He is a sincere guy and doesn't charge me much. I was not going to able to replace all the parts and pay the full price to a well-established shop or dealership otherwise. Now I am in shape where I can't get rid of this car, and I can't spend a whole more either. Whatever he fixed never gave me any trouble again, but this P0441 stubborn code is not going away. I am meeting him again tomorrow to do a smoke test. He has a smoke machine, and I have a compressor. Let's see what happened, and I will let you posted.
Go look at the "On-Board Monitor Tests" for the EVAP system--see page 56 of the user manual for your scan tool: https://www.autel.com/u/cms/www/202004/23030100dcbg.pdf

Post the data values (min, max, tested value) for each of the EVAP component tests (or post screenshots of those tests).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 44 Posts