Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as per my introduction, we bought a 2010 Murano from a used car dealership. a week or so later, the check engine light came on with the P0443 code for the EVAP system. we called the dealership, and they took a look at it, replacing the purge valve after doing a smoke test. they also put on another gas cap. the light came back on a week or so later........and back to them it went. this time, they replace the 'vent' on the side of the box {not sure what the function is}. my digging into it {information-wise} told me that this part hardly ever goes bad. we got it back, and again, the light came back on after some time lapsed. by this time, we owned it a month or so.........a call to the dealership went unanswered.......so it was a safe bet that they didn't want to get involved any further. I did a visual inspection of the fuel neck for any damage, and went to Nissan and bought a new gas cap {I think the dealership got their replacement from Auto Zone}. I've dug a little more into it, but I'm going to need to get serious with it, since the inspection is in August. any suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Rectangle Font Circle Parallel Number

If you have a scan tool that can read live data, I would suggest driving the car while monitoring the commanded EVAP purge and fuel tank pressure PIDs. You would be looking for instances when there is noticeable negative fuel tank pressure when commanded purge is 0%. This would confirm why the ECM is throwing that code. Then, you would have to look for the cause (see the table).

You say the shop replaced the purge valve after smoke testing the system so presumably that is where they found smoke leaking from. A common cause of failed purge valves is charcoal debris from the EVAP canister being sucked into the valve causing it to stick open. If the shop replaced the valve without making sure the hose back to the canister is clear then that cycle could repeat itself in short order.

Reactions: Grav

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply. unfortunately, I don't have a scanner....just a read only access tool. I guess I can call myself fortunate that the folks we bought the vehicle from looked at it without charge. finding that the gas cap is not the cause......yea...deeper we go. I've not seen how this box is set up under there, but I'll check it out. I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm guessing that the canister is the two stage rectangle box, located behind the rear suspension. purge valves are usually located near the canister. I also saw the canister vent valve...hose and electrical connector. removing these hoses, I did not see anything come out of them.........in the hole for the vent, I saw a sort of foam filter. everything looked OK to me. I saw another sensor in the top section of the box with an electrical connector.......I would say that it's the control system pressure sensor mentioned in the table. I removed it and nothing came out of it and did not appear clogged or damaged. an observation I made is that the box is prone to vibration....the whole thing is not bracketed very good. leads me to wonder since vibration is a know killer for sensors and valves. I saw no cracked, split, or damaged hoses, although one that looks like loom {ribbed hard plastic} makes me suspicious. the vent and this control sensor has a rubber O ring, and both were intact. I put out the light at this time, and having driven it around yesterday, it hasn't come back on. on going.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
after I was done checking over the EVAP canister , I took the vehicle on a good road trip to see my brother. there and back home again........the light didn't come back on {yea!} my brother has had some experience with the Murano.....good! he was having a slow day and he offered to put it on the lift, but I decided to wait { I didn't visit him to put him to work}. I did accept the offer should the light comes back on....he let me know that he has a scanner. if the light comes back on, I'll leave the light on and give him a call.......we'll set something up. another thing about the issue......the light seems to come on when the fuel get down to 1/2 a tank {told him how I noticed this}. I'm almost at 1/2 a tank now........I go back to work on Saturday........I think by then, I should be able to use the fuel I need to achieve the fuel level. I'll add more when I have more information. thanks all for look'in in! :)

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I'm guessing that the canister is the two stage rectangle box, located behind the rear suspension. purge valves are usually located near the canister. I also saw the canister vent valve...hose and electrical connector. removing these hoses, I did not see anything come out of them.........in the hole for the vent, I saw a sort of foam filter. everything looked OK to me. I saw another sensor in the top section of the box with an electrical connector.......I would say that it's the control system pressure sensor mentioned in the table. I removed it and nothing came out of it and did not appear clogged or damaged. an observation I made is that the box is prone to vibration....the whole thing is not bracketed very good. leads me to wonder since vibration is a know killer for sensors and valves. I saw no cracked, split, or damaged hoses, although one that looks like loom {ribbed hard plastic} makes me suspicious. the vent and this control sensor has a rubber O ring, and both were intact. I put out the light at this time, and having driven it around yesterday, it hasn't come back on. on going.
Purge valve is bolted to the engine (see pic). Disconnect the hose from the purge valve that runs back to the charcoal canister (the one that loops around to the EVAP service port) when the engine is cold. Start the engine and feel for vacuum (there should be none).

I would also suggest making sure that air can freely move through the vent hose that runs to that filter you noted near the charcoal canister.

Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Car Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Reactions: Grav

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never seen a purge valve that isn't in close proximity to the canister {box}. I'll have to snap a picture of what I'm seeing.......like to know what that 'valve is actually called. there are two hoses that run from it, one to the box, and one to who knows where. the folks I bought the vehicle from said they changed the purge valve.....I was under the hood........I almost remove the cover so I could look at other vacuum lines. the light is back on.......so on Wednesday, I have an appointment with my brother. he has a scanner, so we can better diagnose it. thanks for the picture and the reply......I always thought that there was something under the hood! ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've never seen a purge valve that isn't in close proximity to the canister {box}. I'll have to snap a picture of what I'm seeing.......like to know what that 'valve is actually called. there are two hoses that run from it, one to the box, and one to who knows where. the folks I bought the vehicle from said they changed the purge valve.....I was under the hood........I almost remove the cover so I could look at other vacuum lines. the light is back on.......so on Wednesday, I have an appointment with my brother. he has a scanner, so we can better diagnose it. thanks for the picture and the reply......I always thought that there was something under the hood! ;)
These valves are different with similar names.

The EVAP Cannister Purge Volume Control Solenoid Valve is under the hood. Malfunction Code P0443.

The EVAP Cannister Vent Control Solenoid Valve is attached to the Charcoal Cannister at the bottom of the vehicle near the rear axle. Malfunction Code P0448.

I'd focus under the hood for proper routing of the hoses as long as there is a new "Purge" valve installed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll have to get a picture of this 'valve' to show you. the one that I'm talking about is only attached to the box via the two hoses, and shares the bracket that connects the box to the underside of the body. this is the first vehicle I've come across with the purge valve that far away from the canister. I've tried to find a hose routing schematic....I think from the purge valve, a hose goes to this 'valve' that I'm referring to, an then to the box. I've seen this vent your talking about......it has been changed as well. from what I've read, it hardly ever goes bad.......they even gave the vent valve to me afterwards. I have since thrown it away though...now I wished that I had kept it. I'll see my brother tomorrow...I'll have more news then.

I have another issue going on...has to do with the A/C. quite possibly another reason why the original owners traded the vehicle in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'll have to get a picture of this 'valve' to show you. the one that I'm talking about is only attached to the box via the two hoses, and shares the bracket that connects the box to the underside of the body. this is the first vehicle I've come across with the purge valve that far away from the canister. I've tried to find a hose routing schematic....I think from the purge valve, a hose goes to this 'valve' that I'm referring to, an then to the box. I've seen this vent your talking about......it has been changed as well. from what I've read, it hardly ever goes bad.......they even gave the vent valve to me afterwards. I have since thrown it away though...now I wished that I had kept it. I'll see my brother tomorrow...I'll have more news then.

I have another issue going on...has to do with the A/C. quite possibly another reason why the original owners traded the vehicle in.

The valve on the underside of the vehicle that is attached to the Cannister is called the EVAP Cannister Vent Control Valve. If it malfunctions, you will get a P0448 code.

Since you are still getting a P0443 code, there is no hose leak and the connector and wiring for the valve mounted to the top of the Engine (EVAP Cannister Purge Control Valve) is connected properly, you need to again swap it. This is so because the ECM (Engine Control Module) is picky if a NON-OEM or defective electronic component was used as a replacement.

A/C issues
  • Blower does not come on - check blower relay
  • Blower on but no air - check vent door actuators under the dash near the glove box
  • Everything comes on but no cold air - add refrigerant if low
  • Everything comes on and has refrigerant - check compressor belt and clutch
  • See chart below for further when using an A/C Manifold Guage Set
Rectangle Font Parallel Electric blue Screenshot

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
as I mentioned before......that is not the code I'm getting. the link above has a very nice diagram, courtesy of 'I need Coffee' . I never made it to my brother's shop today........I was on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck. I mentioned another problem showing it's face........the A/C clutch pulley finally seized and melted the belt. I can't wait to see what's next........rather wait for the movie though. really regretting buying this piece of crap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts