Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a code for evap error on my 2009 MO. I tried tightening my gas cap it still hasn't fixed the issue. I ordered a replacement but needed to know the EVAP canister location. I looked at the available service manuals online but no mention of it anyway. Any help or tips welcomed

·
Registered
476 Posts
I recently got a code for evap error on my 2009 MO. I tried tightening my gas cap it still hasn't fixed the issue. I ordered a replacement but needed to know the EVAP canister location. I looked at the available service manuals online but no mention of it anyway. Any help or tips welcomed
Crawl underneath the back of the car and you'll find it behind the rear subframe.

·
Registered
94 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sometimes an evap code is due to the gas cap as well. They wear out and wont seal. Usually you can tell they are worn out when they dont make the clicking sound when tightening. If it is the cap or you want to buy one of them, get an oem cap and not one of those cheesy one with a lock on it or something. Preferably an oem replacement. I've had problems with non oem caps not fixing the problem until I purchased a good one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sometimes an evap code is due to the gas cap as well. They wear out and wont seal. Usually you can tell they are worn out when they dont make the clicking sound when tightening. If it is the cap or you want to buy one of them, get an oem cap and not one of those cheesy one with a lock on it or something. Preferably an oem replacement. I've had problems with non oem caps not fixing the problem until I purchased a good one.
I dont believe the evap system will really affect the drivability of the car at all. Unless you live where the car has to be inspected periodically.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont believe the evap system will really affect the drivability of the car at all. Unless you live where the car has to be inspected periodically.
Well I replaced the EVAP solenoid valve with a new one from rockauto.com 2 days ago but haven't driven it again till today and I got the code again. So now I'm leaning towards a bad gas cap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dang... not sure if you live up north i.e. snow and salt, but I've heared the hole evap system can rot and rust out if its metal. Idk.
I live in Central new Jersey ( central Jersey does exist lol 😂) . While I was under the car the EVAP box didn't seem to be rotted out or broken. I've had the car going on 2 months now and all of month 1 it didn't give me that error till I filled her up on week 3 an half. What I found odd is the EVAP box didn't have a protective shield. It's currently snowing here.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Central New Jersey lol. I live in florida but have family in Cape may, that's south though right? Lol
Only other things I can think of is the filler neck. If the gas cap doesnt fix it maybe the metal ring surface that the cap rests against when tightened might be slightly bent or something. You mentioned after you filled the gas up, not saying you do this but I've heared it's not good for the evap system if you overfill the gas. Like it's best to stop when the gas stations pump handle detects its full and stops automatically. Idk lol

·
Registered
94 Posts
I live in Central new Jersey ( central Jersey does exist lol 😂) . While I was under the car the EVAP box didn't seem to be rotted out or broken. I've had the car going on 2 months now and all of month 1 it didn't give me that error till I filled her up on week 3 an half. What I found odd is the EVAP box didn't have a protective shield. It's currently snowing here.
Sorry to hear the EVAP replacement didn’t fix it as it did mine. The other thing that I read that can cause this code is if you over fill your gas tank. I.e. you keep putting additional gas in after it clicks to get you to an even $ amount.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry to hear the EVAP replacement didn’t fix it as it did mine. The other thing that I read that can cause this code is if you over fill your gas tank. I.e. you keep putting additional gas in after it clicks to get you to an even $ amount.
I hardly ever fill the tank usually 20 dollars gets me a little more than half a tank and that's good enough for me. Should of the new cap I order doesn't work should I start using premium instead of plus?
Central New Jersey lol. I live in florida but have family in Cape may, that's south though right? Lol
Only other things I can think of is the filler neck. If the gas cap doesnt fix it maybe the metal ring surface that the cap rests against when tightened might be slightly bent or something. You mentioned after you filled the gas up, not saying you do this but I've heared it's not good for the evap system if you overfill the gas. Like it's best to stop when the gas stations pump handle detects its full and stops automatically. Idk lol

·
Registered
94 Posts
I hardly ever fill the tank usually 20 dollars gets me a little more than half a tank and that's good enough for me. Should of the new cap I order doesn't work should I start using premium instead of plus?
I only use premium myself as I notice a big difference with how the engine runs. When I switch back to lower grade octane I start to feel the engine knock. I am not sure if this has anything to do with the evap code. Everything I am aware of is 1. Gas Cap, 2. Evap Canister, 3. Overfilling has tank.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Using higher octane gasoline is not going to make an EVAP problem go away. EVAP codes are typically thrown because the system isn't sealing properly. Common causes are stuck valves and faulty gas cap.

BTW...Before you condemned the original vent valve, did you make sure it's receiving battery voltage at the harness connector? Also, did you clean out the hoses attached to the vent valve to remove any debris when you replaced it?

When you install the new gas cap, make sure the gas filler neck is clean and free of corrosion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Using higher octane gasoline is not going to make an EVAP problem go away. EVAP codes are typically thrown because the system isn't sealing properly. Common causes are stuck valves and faulty gas cap.

BTW...Before you condemned the original vent valve, did you make sure it's receiving battery voltage at the harness connector? Also, did you clean out the hoses attached to the vent valve to remove any debris when you replaced it?

When you install the new gas cap, make sure the gas filler neck is clean and free of corrosion.
As soon as she empties I'll switch to premium. And when I installed the new EVAP solenoid I checked the hose it was clear and I checked the box. Now I did notice the old solenoid valve was stuck open. I'll check voltage if the premium gas and new gas cap don't work. I'll also check the filler neck. Thank you for the tips I truly appreciate it guys.

·
Registered
476 Posts
As soon as she empties I'll switch to premium. And when I installed the new EVAP solenoid I checked the hose it was clear and I checked the box. Now I did notice the old solenoid valve was stuck open. I'll check voltage if the premium gas and new gas cap don't work. I'll also check the filler neck. Thank you for the tips I truly appreciate it guys.
The default position of the vent valve is open. When the PCM energizes the solenoid it closes. A defective vent valve usually won't close at all (e.g. because the solenoid is faulty) or will only close partially (e.g. because it's clogged with debris).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts