Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a problem with their PAC audio adapter unit failing in cold weather (say, below 20 degrees F)? Mine has done this repeatedly -- I get a 'NO SAT' message from my head unit. It won't work unless I warm up the car and then turn the car on/off to reset everything. Is this unique to me?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've seen this problem before.

Some of the components they are using probably aren't guaranteed down to those kinds of temperatures. Many ICs don't handle the extremes well :(

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
IMHO opinion the PAC unit is a little cheap, The cross talk between channels A and B leave a lot to be desired, and the latitude of the inputs regarding voltage level is low it clips easily.

·
Registered
631 Posts
GripperDon said:
IMHO opinion the PAC unit is a little cheap, The cross talk between channels A and B leave a lot to be desired, and the latitude of the inputs regarding voltage level is low it clips easily.
GripperDon... have you read about the JL Audio CleanSweep ?

In addition to all the wonderful magic of fixing the horrible Bose over-equalization, I would bet the farm it's top quality. JL Audio doesn't make "cheap junk". It offers an AUX input as well, but sadly, only one. I'm sure the smarter folks here in the forum like you and jaak and the others could come up with a simple yet brilliant and elegant switcher to put in-line... :)

Granted, the CleanSweep will probably cost $400 or so, but for all that it does... since I saw that product announcement I cancelled my plans to buy a PAC and decided to wait for the CleanSweep.

·
5,100 Posts
Actually I need 3 aux inputs. Sat, Xbox, Phone. A simple stepper rotary switch etc. but I would like it triggered from the A_B_C on the head set. :D

·
4,664 Posts
I like the idea of the clean sweep, from JL, but you may still have to get a PAC to initialise the interface, but cut the audio wires and redirect them.

Don, what you want, is almost possible... If I recall correctly, there's two wires off the Pac that are toggled when the two inputs are selected. Using latching relays, you can isolate the inputs to the pac for better isolation, and also toggle between more than two sources.

I'd have to think about how to wire it, but it's certainly doable. It would mean that your source would flip between two selections, for a single button, but hey, it would still be integrated, with no external junk hanging around visible.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'd say just use the preset buttons... the microcontroller would watch for changes in the presets and just switch over the inputs as needed. You could also use the "press and hold" functionality of the preset buttons so that you'd still have the up/down preset messages from the steering wheel for other purposes.

I'm considering building something like this into the next revision of my project as well. I have most of the parts gathered together Just have to get in there this weekend and "hook up" :)

·
5,100 Posts
Sid I like where you are headed, I need to learn about the press and Hold function of the A-B-C presets, If you can explain and if it's not to much trouble I would love to hear what you have to say. I only use them to change the inputs between A and B on the PAC unit once the SAT button is pressed and of course for selecting which presets are used when I am using the Radio Fm and AM. Thanks Don :)

·
4,664 Posts
Sid, your way is the best way... But it's possible on the pac to do it without adding a micro, and that's what I was getting at. Don could wire it up himself.

Of course, we had this discussion in email... I'm a hardware guy, not a software guy!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Frobozz

I've got the same problem. We had a stretch of 2+ weeks where the temperature did not go above freezing. I got the "NO SAT" error three times when the weather was particularly cold (below 20F). Each time it cleared up after the car warmed up a bit.

Arizona looks better and better.

·
4,664 Posts
GripperDon said:
So should I order the PAC IR controller or not? Got confused.
No, on the Pac unit, there's a couple of flying leads that signal if input a, or b is selected. (I'm going from memory, so it's a bit rusty!)

I don't recall if they are steady state, or pulsed, but either way, with latching relays, it would be possible to switch more than two sources. I'll have to do some paper doodling to work out the logic.

·
4,664 Posts
There's a PIC controller in the Pac Audio unit. If I recall correctly they're using a ceramic resonator as part of the clock circuit. It's possible that the oscillator in the clock is not starting up, when it's really cold. No controller running, means no communication, which means "NO SAT" message.

·
4,664 Posts
sid6581 said:
I'd say just use the preset buttons... the microcontroller would watch for changes in the presets and just switch over the inputs as needed. You could also use the "press and hold" functionality of the preset buttons so that you'd still have the up/down preset messages from the steering wheel for other purposes.

I'm considering building something like this into the next revision of my project as well. I have most of the parts gathered together Just have to get in there this weekend and "hook up" :)
Sid, here's some food for thought...

The Pac unit uses a PIC microcontroller (as I mentioned above). In mine, it's socketed (another potential source for failure in the cold, now I think about it) so if you want to code, without building hardware, you could program a new PIC and drop it in. Of course, you'd have to detail the layout of the PAC first to know what's what....

Hmmm.... That would be interesting.... Performance chip for the Pac unit...

·
4,664 Posts
http://www.pac-audio.com/instructions/aainis new.pdf

Shows Blue/Red wire for Aux 1 and Blue/Black for Aux 2, 300ma steady state on. So I could see a latching relay being used to control audio relays to toggle between two inputs on one Aux in.

An R/C circuit to create a pulse and wiring the relay to select the next state, or perhaps there's already a relay out there that will toggle states on each application of power. Haven't looked, but I bet it exists somewhere.

The best solution is a controller, however... It just has to listen on the bus for button presses on the radio, and select the audio source. A little bit more work, and it could send text to the display to tell you what input is selected.

The relays could be wired by anyone with basic electrical skills.... So it's easy for almost anyone to try.

I'll have to take a peek on the web to see what's available.

·
4,664 Posts
Oh, silly me, a simple J-K flipflop will do it too!

What the heck is jaak talking about??? Well the electronics types will get this, but for those that don't know, it's a simple logic circuit, that when wired correctly will toggle between two states. Every time the aux lead is powered, the flipflop will change state. This could be used to drive an audio switching relay so you would toggle between two sources every other time you go to Aux 1 on the Pac device.

·
5,100 Posts
Thats why I mentioned a stepper, I have one of those that will do nicely cheap ) I already have it and easy to place and wire.

·
4,664 Posts
Ahhh... OK, brain didn't catch that one.... Yeah that would be easy to do!

·
Registered
89 Posts
LOL performance chip for the PAC...

Unfortunately I don't do PIC programming, just Atmel AVR. So I wouldn't be much help in that department.

But anyway this weekend I successfully hooked up using the harness under the back seat. I now have all kinds of electronics junk cluttering up my new car hehehe. Though it does seem more familiar since every car I've ever had has been a "project car" :)

I've got communication working with a small Python program on the PC. I haven't yet emulated the startup sequence but as long as my TX line is working (not sure on that) I should be able to later this week. I'm working on the string recognition and basic communication framework in my spare time. Once it's all working and tested in Python, I'll move it to the AVR and ditch the PC (for that purpose anyway).

I will share all results with the forum... and of course, if anyone needs MCU programming help I can assist there as well once I've got a hold on things.

bye
Charles

·
5,100 Posts
SID6581

sid6581 said:

Sid! How about expanding that and giving me some hook up details that I can follow, slow and simple now, remember I am old. :D

·
4,664 Posts
Charles, have you sent anything yet? The request line control is the one thing that is a nuisance, otherwise, it's just inverted RS-232...

Don, you can start with hooking up your Logic Analyser like this:

And if you want to have more than one device on the bus, you'll need to put parts in a few places on your Bose...

Now if you want to build a controller, here's a start:

Of course this allows you to do incredibly useful things like this:

So far, I have yet to see anyone post a picture of the display with text they've sent. Charles, will you be the first? (After me, of course....:D )

So Don, it's easy, there's nothing to it! (Once somebody else has figured out the communication hardware, structure, error checking and programs and builds the hardware...):crazyeye:

I just don't have the time to program it... I'm hoping Charles will make it!!! Timb, Tyler, Tman, let's see, who else?? They all ran into the same problem as me. Time. Not enough of it!

Go Charles, GO!!!:18:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts