Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly would I need to install an after market amp for my subs and an Ipod to a non bose/sat receiver? Pac AAI-NIS? Thanks to all in advanced!:D

·
4,664 Posts
kraka said:
What exactly would I need to install an after market amp for my subs and an Ipod to a non bose/sat receiver? Pac AAI-NIS? Thanks to all in advanced!:D
There's a number of threads where folks gone with aftermarket amps and speakers. On the Bose, the PA is separate and driven with balanced audio outputs. On the non-Bose, you need to convert the speaker level outputs to line in.

Since we're already talking Pac audio, then http://www.pac-audio.com/products/loc.htm would do it for you. The Trunk-LOC looks interesting as it will signal your PA's to turn off, when the sound system is not active.

Of course, there's a lot of manufacturers of these types of converters.

For the Ipod, a simple way is with the AAI-NIS, which will plug into the Sat receiver connector on the back of your non-Bose head unit.

This will not give you Ipod control, just an audio input. I haven't checked lately, and perhaps someone else can detail this, but there has been talk of a smart interface, which I'd love. Something that controls the Ipod as well as pulling the song title and artist data for the display. It's all doable, just needs to be done. PAC does it for other vehicles, but not Nissan. I haven't checked if others, like Dension, have done it yet.

With the Nissan/Infiniti interface, it has to be intelligent to fake the radio into thinking it's got a valid device connected and allow the audio input to be enabled. So you may notice the Nissan interfaces are more expensive than others, as a result of the intelligence that needs to be implemented.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not to butt in but:
Can a portable XM be plugged into the input in rear of Bose/nonBose with interface?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
See5 said:
Not to butt in but:
Can a portable XM be plugged into the input in rear of Bose/nonBose with interface?
Thanks
With PAC interface you will have two auxilury inputs (selectable by Preset ABC button, but only A and B) to which you can connect any input, including portable satelite. Like jaak mentioned, you still have to control sat radio through its own controls as PAC unit will only take the Audio in.

Edit: I have my carputer going to Aux A and XM Direct radio to Aux B. I have noticed that the screen "locks up" when I switch from preset A to Preset B. The audio switches but screen does not. Volume control also sometimes drops to zero. The only remedy I have found is to turn the radio off and then on. Then it works good until I switch presets. I noticed that happening after I started using both PAC inputs.

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Display still locking up?

zebelkhan said:

I have my carputer going to Aux A and XM Direct radio to Aux B. I have noticed that the screen "locks up" when I switch from preset A to Preset B. The audio switches but screen does not. Volume control also sometimes drops to zero. The only remedy I have found is to turn the radio off and then on. Then it works good until I switch presets. I noticed that happening after I started using both PAC inputs.
I finally got around to ordering my PAC. Are you still suffering from the lockup? I'm currently running an iPod thru a Belkin FM but running the hardline into my TV kit and using its FM modulator instead of the Belkin's (no dropouts like the Belkin). With the PAC, I'll plan to run the iPod into one input and probably a Sirius Sportster into the other until I replace the iPod with a carputer. Either way, I plan to use both PAC inputs. I'm concerned abou the lockup situation, obviously.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
I replaced mine under warranty and it is installed but I have yet to connect the second input to test. I will do that sometime this weekend and report back.

I had two issues, both relating to connecting two inputs. One was cross talk (noise from one channel being heard on the other), and the other was the lock-up issue. I will see if either or both issues have gone away.

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Sirius Sportster Replay

I just received and activated my Sirius Sportster Replay this weekend. I also ordered the PAC Audio unit thinking the FM modulator would be just as bad as my tv kit and Belkin FM TuneBase for iPod Mini. I couldn't be more wrong! The FM modulator in the Sportster Replay is far stronger and louder than either of the other devices. When I mute the Replay, my stereo is DEAD SILENT, even on 30. I normally hear bleed-through when using the tv kit, and that FM modulator is physically wired in between the roof antenna and the radio!!

20 hours later, I am very happy, very pleased with the performance and sound of the Replay. Thank goodness for the remote, because you can all imagine how far out of reach the radio is when suction-cupped to the bottom of the windshield :) Thanks to the 12v DC power supply I have from my ham radio days, I'm also able to bring the whole car-mount assembly in the house (at least until I get the boombox for xmas). That lets me spend hours getting used to the functionality of the unit in the comfort of my living room instead of having to sit in the car and play.

Now that I know I definitely do not need the PAC Audio adapter for the Replay, I'm hoping that I can use the two channels to improve the sound from the iPod (future carputer) and tv kit.

So I'm still anxiously waiting to hear if the bleed-through or crossover problem has been resolved for the PACs. With the performance of the Replay, I wish *it* had a Line In jack for my iPod!

EDIT: I shouldn't say I normally hear dropouts with the tv kit vs the TuneBase FM, but the iPod running thru the tv kit still isn't loud enough, and when I turn the volume all the way up, there is a definite radio hiss in there.. not with the Replay.. if black has a sound, that's the Replay's sound when muted even over the built-in FM modulator (and not using the included extension wire).

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
NICE to know about the Sporster.

G.

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
zebelkhan said:
My second PAC also has cross talk. According to the post from Pacific Audio (maker of PAC) on this thread

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5645&highlight=pac+audio

the crosss talk is a known issue and that is why, according to them, we have the remote wires to turn divices on or off.....:confused:
Ack, that sux. Has anyone posted detailed instructions for installing the PAC Audio adapter? I think someone used double-sided tape to attach it directly to the rear of the system, as I believe it perfectly matches the width of the stereo.

EDIT: found this http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5469&highlight=pac+install

1 - 10 of 10 Posts