Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone help.? just got this new-used great car for me and two kids. a gift too! (2009 murano)
and it kills my pelvis within minutes- all cuz
i cannot get driver seat front end (under thighs/knees) down far enough.

can i manually - or a mechanic- manually get in there and make it go down?

the electric switches all work, seems that it IS adjusted by the switch as far down as it goes, but it is a terrible angle for me! (and for most, i'd say as an alexander technique teacher)

but what bolt can we move? or frame can we change?
or , can i swap the seat for one just like in my good ol' outback? that one is perfect.

so in summary i need LESS rise under knees and i cannot get that just by the switch - what can be done?

thank you!!

·
Super Moderator
8,439 Posts
Here's an idea...I'm not sure how the federal safety authorities would like it, but I've done it in the past. The idea for you is to get more elevation on the rear of the seat and change the seating angle.

I had a car in which the seat front was too low. There was one bolt at the front of each seat track holding the track in place. I removed the bolts, added about four thick large diameter washers between the seat track and the floor pan, then replaced the bolts and tightened everything down. This changed the seat angle and raised the front of the seat about 3/4". It was quite comfortable after that, and since the seat was still very firmly secured in place, I don't think it compromised safety at all.

I don't have a Murano handy to look at, but usually the seat is mounted either by bolts or on studs sticking up through the floor pan. There is one each at the front and back of each seat track. You could take a look at the rear mounting points and see if you can add 2 to 4 thick washers between the seat tracks and the floor pan, which would raise the rear of the seat and change the seating angle. It might be enough to make the seating angle comfortable. It is also very easy to reverse this change if it doesn't work for you.

A note of caution: since those seat mounts are a primary safety issue, make darn sure that you have plenty of threads engaged either by the bolt going into the floor pan or the nut on the stud that is used to secure the seat. You definitely don't want any of those mounting points secured by only a few threads, and you want those mounts very tight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is a great and very detailed description thank you! the local guys at nissan agreed to take a look at it for me, and i could bring this info to them to consider.
thing is, i tried with 3" foam piece i had to raise my pelvis, and it helped a lot (tho not even enough) AND my head was smashed against the ceiling. so, sadly, i think i have to find an option to bring the front of that seat down. not sure if there is any room under there, but hoping the nissan guys could open and look.
can i swap the whole seat out for like - the one from my outback? or something of that nature.
?

thanks so much for your wise thoughts

·
Super Moderator
8,439 Posts
Another idea....OK, a couple...

You can go to an auto upholstery shop that rebuilds seats and talk this over with them, with the idea of re-shaping the seat. Depending on the thickness of the foam and its construction, they may be able to remove the upholstery, re-cut the seat foam to change the seating angle, and re-install the upholstery. Note that there is a weight-sensing mechanism in the seat to tall the car when a driver is present, and that sensor mechanism will probably be a complicating factor. That's not to say it can't be done. I would expect this to cost at least a couple hundred dollars, possibly more.

I don't know about the Subaru seat. Keep in mind that the seat height and angle is the product of both the seat design and the shape and angle of the floor pan on which it is mounted. As they say, that's "kind of a crapshoot."

It's not unusual for sports cars owners (who have $$) to remove the OEM seats and have Recaro performance driving seats installed. In most cases I think there are seat bases and tracks made for these applications, and the seats are quite expensive, more than $1000. But the fact that this can be done simply demonstrates that seats can be installed in many vehicles IF you throw enough money at the project. It means fabricating seat mountings and then positioning the seat for the driver's preference.

Personally, I think the least expensive solution of those I mentioned would e to see if the existing seat can be modified by a good upholstery shop. It will require one that does custom seat work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you are so kind and thoughtful
i appreciate it a lot
yesterday i called nissan dealer near here and got lucky to talk to another kind and thoughtful guy,
he invited me by and i went (1.5 miles and in a lot of pain to do it!)
he came to same conclusion as you for a lot of the same reasons

i hope it can work, with that weight sensor thingy....and yes, i feel like i must be prepared for a $500 thingy, not easy to imagine but, will have to figure that part out somehow.

i really appreciate the discussion. :) will post back after i visit the upholstery guys that nissan guy recommended, hopefylly on monday

many thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well.... still in terrible pain! AFTER working with expert upholstery guy for two hours friday. he really did all he could. i was shocked when he took off the foam and showed me the frame! the whole frame has a metal plate just under where thighs/knees go, very wide, and much higher than the tush area. it's a terrible shape for any seat! clearly!

but he cut the foam he could from there, added under the pelvis (all he could fit which was not much with how the seat meets the back)

i thought it was better, for 5 minutes. 20 minutes later when i get out of the car, the pain is so much i felt like i was in a car accident, not just driving a car, radiating and pervasive. now 24 hours later, still so much pain.

SO - the uncle who gifted it and i did talk. we might just have to sell it, but that's a whole bad situation for so many reasons...and we are also talking about trying to replace that seat.

he has a friend who knows metal work. argghhh! it seems that folks do trade one seat for another kind in cars. that sometimes it is possible.

how do i determine if it's possible here? if we can re-do bolting pattern or put in new floor mounts and just move over the subaru seat? that car will be junked once i have a right new one anyway. so , i am clear only hope is replace seat (for one made by a designer who really understands ergonomics) but how do i research what IS actually possible to do on that level of things?

i am so angry at this car, with so much pain from just trying to drive it!

any advise, i do sooo much appreciate

thanks,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts