Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm mad!

Just celebrated a full year on my Silver MO.
But I'm sad that the front has so many rock chips...

I even think this car is very fragile to drive over any road with decent gravels.

My 10 year old other car is better than this one.

Any thoughts?

I read somewhere that these days the paint they used are quite different from like 10 years ago. But they should have made it more tough to withstand regular/normal gravels...

·
Registered
309 Posts
mfshin said:
I read somewhere that these days the paint they used are quite different from like 10 years ago. But they should have made it more tough to withstand regular/normal gravels...
You're right. They don't make paint like they used to. I read that it's because of gov't agencies that instituted legislation requiring car paint to use different chemicals. Unfortunately, one of the chemicals that was knocked off the list of paint ingredients was one had made paint more durable. So expect chips, unless someone dvelops a new durability agent.

My 2001 Maxima had a bunch of chips from highway debris. Try getting one of those clear bras (like from 3M) to protect your paint. I believe there are discussion on that here...just search

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
If you do not mind a bra, do a search for "colgan bra" on this board. You'll find some pictures. I have the colgan bra and its kept the front of my Murano scratch free.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
At Pinnacle Nissan they have a new "Touch Up paint Glob remover' Fanstatic pain on the touch up and apply the stuff and the paint is smooth and shiny and you have a hard time seeing the place that was painted.

GRIP :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
Very Soft Paint

I had a 1999 mazda and it had 60000 miles and almost no chips I have 3500 miles on the MO and I see alot of chips. NOT GOOD And surfaces scratches easy.
I wax it with mothers carnuba only looks great .but starting to see surfaces scratches

WHY
:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Re: Very Soft Paint

larry1960 said:
I had a 1999 mazda and it had 60000 miles and almost no chips I have 3500 miles on the MO and I see alot of chips. NOT GOOD And surfaces scratches easy.
I wax it with mothers carnuba only looks great .but starting to see surfaces scratches

WHY
:confused: :confused:
Get a goos polish to get rid of the scratches. 3M makes some good polishes that you can buy at local stores (pepboys etc.) Just get the right polish for the severity of the scratches. Some of the polishes are more coarser than others. If you have very minor scratches use a fine polish. The 3M bottles give a nice desctipion.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use Maguire's "Scratch-X" to remove "surface" scratches and it works very well. For deeper scratches/paint chips, I employ a "two prong" approach. First, I use the touch-up paint from Nissan and after it dries (wait at least a day) I apply a product called Lanka. Lanka removes the "blob" produced by the touch-up paint to leave a "smooth" surface. I have had limited success with the Lanka because the chips in the paint are deep and the touch-up paint appears to not have the same consistency as the original paint. Overall though, the results are better than the alternative...I would be interested in what other people do to repair paint chips on their MO.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I think that I read someplace, due to EPA standards and general environmental concern, they switched to a water based paint.

I think that the application of the paint and number of coats make a difference in other lines of cars such as Mercedes, Bmw, Saab, etc. My wife's 2004 Saab 9-5 has a much superior application of paint and seems harder and more resistant to chips than my MO.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
The new coatings ARE water based.
Obviously some people have a "special sauce" or something, that Nissan (And Mazda) do not have.

I have used Langka for several years now.
Obviouly in the end you are dependent upon the touchup paint supplied by Nissan.
And it is really hard to match metallic paints.

One tip w/Langka.......try and build up the layers on a deep paint chip.
Over a couple of days if necessary.
Do not try to do it with a large blob.
At least that is what worked for me.

I won a concours de elegance (Class) in Ft Pierce FL (OK it wasn't a Madison Square Garden show!) with my Miata with a half dozen chips repaired with Langka, and about 10 coats of Zaino. They never knew there were repairs.
:cool:

Homer

·
5,100 Posts
Yup! Days of Lacquer and enamel gone.

The VOC emission rules are changing a number of things. From home paint to auto paint. There Are just so many of use things here on earth that we are >>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

·
5,100 Posts
Yup! Days of Lacquer and enamel gone.

The VOC emission rules are changing a number of things. From home paint to auto paint. There Are just so many of use things here on earth that we are >>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

reading of interest.

http://eartheasy.com/live_nontoxic_paints.htm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts