Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Having so much time on m hand, and not travelling a lot because of the lockdown, I decided to paint my brake calipers.

This is something I tried about 2 years ago, but it failed miserably, so I decided to try again.

I am not a big fan of painting them on the car, so I decided to removed them and do it the right way.

The process is long, 2 days of sanding, priming and painting, 1 week for the paint to cure, and almost 8hrs to put them back and bleed the brakes.

I decided to go with the burn copper spray paint, since it matches the color of my car very well, and I really love that color.

The burn copper spray paint is very runny, does not provide lots of coverage, lots of coats, you need to spray a lot, and be careful not to have the paint dripping down.

The high gloss 2K clear coat will protect the paint better than any other clear coat, little bit more expensive and only have 48 hrs to use it.

Only time will tell how long they will last.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Assad, you never cease to amaze me with your mods. I love it and my hat is off to you my friend.

·
Super Moderator
1,004 Posts
Great job Assad.

I used the same paints and mine still look as good as the day I finished the install, almost two years later. I didn't remove the calibers, but did tape everything off and mask the wheel well. I used heat lamps for 24 hours on the calibers and brackets between the different layers. I did go a little crazy with the clear coat, 3 days, with a triple coat each day.

For cleaning, all I've had to do is wipe them off with a clean wet rag. Brake dust doesn't seem to stick to the caliber now with the clearcoat.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Professor Maxxx
Thank you Professor, really appreciate it.

@vortex
lol

@PaulDay
Yes, I saw your brakes paint job, you inspired me to do mine also because they looked really good the way you did it.
I remember you were helping me out also, but I did a terrible job back then.
My mistake was I did not wait long enough for the paint to dry out completely. I put the brakes the next day thinking the paint had dried, I went driving, and it came out terrible.
This time around, I did not have to drive the car for a week, so that helped me out a lot not rushing the job and letting the paint cure.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok! When there is an oven involved, it is some serious ****~!
Lol,
I saw people do it, so I thought I try it.
I have also had good result with the oven with other painting project.
Just set the oven to the lowest setting 175F for 1hr, then let them sit outside overnight.
The oven makes it cure much faster.

·
Super Moderator
1,004 Posts
Lol,
I saw people do it, so I thought I try it.
I have also had good result with the oven with other painting project.
Just set the oven to the lowest setting 175F for 1hr, then let them sit outside overnight.
The oven makes it cure much faster.
You have to be very careful about the temp. Too high and you risk damaging the piston seals.

Have a good day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts