Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've always like the look of rims that match the car colors. So the question is, how do we paint the rims so that it stays on and not peel. I saw a garage show once where they sprayed some sort of adhesive to the rims, and then the color. Don't know if that will work, and how long it will last, but it sure looks nice. Some knowledge needed.

·
Registered
834 Posts
That's why I got a silver Murano :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
true, but i've seen more silver mo than any other color on the streets. Just like all other silver cars and trucks from other manufacturer. yes i know silver is very popular, but it turns me off. I wish the glacier pearl came with black interior, but caffe latte will do.

·
4,664 Posts
What colour's your MO? I suppose they could use a paint the same colour, as long as the wheels were prepared right... (Not the exact same paint, can you imagine the chips???)

I was wondering what they would look like with copper plating. That's one of the steps of the chroming process. If it was left in longer to make it thicker and then clear coated, it sure would be different!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Copper colored rims?

But seriously, folks.....

Here's what I would do:
1. assume the primer (adhesion layer) used at the factory is good stuff. Also hard to beat the factory prep (cleanliness).

2. sand down thru the clear coat with 400 grit. Be careful not to sand thru the silver color coat.

3. carefully clean, degrease.

4. spray (not talking rattle-can here!) with the desired color coat.

5. spray with clear coat made for wheels.

IMHO, it would look better to leave some highlights silver, maybe the lip of the wheel, and/or the edges of the spokes, etc. Mask these areas after sanding but before spraying the color. Remove masking before spraying clear coat.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
BTW, I have never heard of copper used in chrome plating process. Nickel is used. Copper is a pain in the butt. Ask anyone in the PC board fabrication industry. It corrodes, and is very mobile. You can plate dang near anything over it, and it will eventually migrate up through the top layer and THEN corrode. If it wasn't the best electrical conductor, people would steer clear of it completely!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
OK.
I thought it might look good.
I was wrong.

That is seriously ugly.

Makes the whole thing look like a Czekoslovakian Army Vehicle.

And an entry level one at that. :2:

I'll stick with Chrome.

Homer

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah, and the total the monochrome treatment is a bit much... but I already had that photochop done, so laziness strikes again....

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Yep I agree Gecko.
While I continue to think that I will buy an aftermarket grill someday, I continue to blieve it will be chromed.

And I just don't like these body colored rims.
Thank God for Photoshop.
I have not one ounce of creativity or artistic expression in me. I just cannot judge what somethings is "gonna" look like. I have to see it.
Well, I've seen it.
Thanks mr dog sir, or may I call you turbo?

Homer:5:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Everyone, imagine these rims on my glacier pearl (white) MO, with the detachable center part of the rims painted white to match my MO. Now imagine the same rims painted to match your MO. Ain't that beautiful.

Attachments

·
Registered
487 Posts
THOSE rims look sharp, but I dunno.. still might not look good on the MO.

Good luck, man. :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts