Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if I'm going through "SENIOR MOMENT" a lot lately, keep on forgetting my parking brakes on before I drive away.

For the MOs caliber it should have a better warning device on the parking brake if its engage before one can drive it off. Instead of just the red parking brake notice. It should have something audible.

Really concerned since I was already driving two miles before I notice the red parking light on. Yesterday was not the first time it happened .

Could that have caused damage? For all the MO PRO out there what do you think?
:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,257 Posts
I think you, like a lot of "gurls" aren't getting brutish enough with your car. :D



If you put the parking brake on correctly, you cannot drive off with it engaged.
C'mon now Chita, REALLY push down on it!


You "probably" didn't hurt anything if you didn't smell the brakes.
If ou did, it will be warped rotors and you will feel a shudder when you hit the brakes. If you do, you need the rotors machined or replaced.


Homer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Homer... Maybe I was not pushing the parking brakes good enough. Learn something new everyday... that's a load off my chest though that I have not damage anything based on what you've described earlier.

Wheww!! don't have to confess to the HUBBY :2: :2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,329 Posts
Homer:
The parking brake doesn't work on the disk(rotor). It is a separate drum inside the disk area.
You are right. Car won't move if the brake is properly applied. If it isn't, the brakes aren't engaged anyway, and no harm should result.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,226 Posts
I've actually noticed that to put the proper amount of braking resistance with the parking brake, you have to push it in quite hard. A normal depress will hold the car on a flat surface, and it's certainly enough to let you know it's on when you try to drive off without releasing it, but to really get it to lock down you have to push it in REALLY hard.

Anyone else notice this? Or am I just used to the hand brake style?

I often forget about the brake as well until I feel the resistance when starting. There's just nothing by my hand to remind me that the brake is on. I wish we had a hand brake instead of a pedal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,077 Posts
I never use the parking brake unless I'm on a fairly steep hill or uneven pavement/ground due to the possibility of the car rolling even in gear as I have learned here.

Do you find you drive with your turn signal on too? :bonk:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
I use the parking brake 100% of the time, whether it's on a flat surface or not. It's just good practice, and better than having the vehicle "creep" after it's parked and end up putting pressure on the transmission lock.

I have found that the MO's parking brake is a little weak actually, I had to have it adjusted 3 weeks after I bought the MO brand new. I could push the pedal all the way to the floor and the MO would still creep if it was parked on a hill. They've tightened it but I still feel it could have a bit more grab. When I engage the brake, I push the pedal almost to the floor, and it seems to hold OK for now, will probably need to be tightened again in the not-too-distant future.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,226 Posts
special-k said:
I use the parking brake 100% of the time, whether it's on a flat surface or not. It's just good practice, and better than having the vehicle "creep" after it's parked and end up putting pressure on the transmission lock.

I have found that the MO's parking brake is a little weak actually, I had to have it adjusted 3 weeks after I bought the MO brand new. I could push the pedal all the way to the floor and the MO would still creep if it was parked on a hill. They've tightened it but I still feel it could have a bit more grab. When I engage the brake, I push the pedal almost to the floor, and it seems to hold OK for now, will probably need to be tightened again in the not-too-distant future.
Sounds exactly like mine.

Anyone know if this is something I could do myself? Doesn't seem worth it to me to give it to the stealer for a day, but I'd love to get it a little tighter.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,368 Posts
I always use my parking brake. Even on a flat surface its a bad idea to let the vehicle's weight rest on the transmission parking pawl. Besides, it makes it slightly more difficult for thieves to tow your car away.

Ekaxel is right. The Murano uses a drum in disc type parking brake, separate from the normal rear brake assembly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,077 Posts
Its really only resting on the prawl if it is on some incline and isn't that what the prawl is designed for anyhow?

IMHO asside from deterring a tow theft I see no value of using on a level surface.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,368 Posts
Gonzo said:
Its really only resting on the prawl if it is on some incline and isn't that what the prawl is designed for anyhow?

IMHO asside from deterring a tow theft I see no value of using on a level surface.
I do not know of any automatic transmission vehicle that doesn't roll forward or back even a little when you get in and out of the car. To me, thats putting pressure on the parking pawl. But I know plenty of people who never use the parking brake and think I am crazy when I suggest they think about using it. Then I cringe as I watch their cars rock forwards and backwards when they get in and out.

I would think the added peace of mind of theft protection should be enough to get people to use their parking brakes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,077 Posts
Good point, if the brake is on you can follow the tire tracks to find your MO... who needs Lo-Jack. :p
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,226 Posts
I doubt that the little bit of pressure on the pawl is really something to be concerned about. It's designed to not let the car roll too much. That's what it's there for. That's why they have it.

However, I too believe that you should always use your parking brake. The little bit of roll back and forth can be dangerous. As people are getting in/out of the vehicle or as you're loading stuf in/out, it can rock. It's enough to throw people off-guard or possibly roll over a foot or cat or something.

Besides, once you get in the habbit of ALWAYS using it, then you never have a problem.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,136 Posts
Corin said:
once you get in the habbit of ALWAYS using it, then you never have a problem.
I have the habbit of always using the parking brake, but I don't have the habbit of always releasing it........:D

MO's parking brake releases by applying a second pressure to the pedal while my wife's car uses a release handle. So in her car I keep stepping on the pedal to release it, and in MO I keep pulling on a handle that does not exist.......:3:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,077 Posts
Not to worry, in my MO I keep hitting the SAT button and I don't have SAT... yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Actually I don't understand people that do use it in an auto trans car. That's why the gear pawl is there. It's not like a manual where the car can roll with only the engine compression holding it. I might add that I have a 1965 Ford Thunderbird that will autimatically unlatch the brake when the PRNDL [1] is moved to the D position AND the engine is running. :D





[1] Pronounced "pernundle" and refers to the lever one moves on an auto transmission car to put it in and out of gear, as noted by Lisa Douglas in a particular episode of Green Acres.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
I assume that the parking brake works on the rear wheels. The transmission lock works on the front wheels since the car is basically a FWD auto. If this is true using the parking brake gives you 4 wheel braking . If the car was ever run into while parked I would rather have the forces be absorbed by the wheels than the transmission or drivetrain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
HuskyFan said:
I assume that the parking brake works on the rear wheels. The transmission lock works on the front wheels since the car is basically a FWD auto. If this is true using the parking brake gives you 4 wheel braking . If the car was ever run into while parked I would rather have the forces be absorbed by the wheels than the transmission or drivetrain.
And on a rear wheel or AWD drive car that means.... what? :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,368 Posts
WindsorFox said:


And on a rear wheel or AWD drive car that means.... what? :D
When you are stopped, the rear axle is not engaged in an AWD Murano, so the FWD analogy still applies. I always use my parking brake because I don't think its a good idea to put pressure on the parking pawl, which on other Nissans can make it hard to shift out of Park.
 

·
SHIFT_FASTER
Joined
·
1,422 Posts
Eric L. said:


When you are stopped, the rear axle is not engaged in an AWD Murano, so the FWD analogy still applies. I always use my parking brake because I don't think its a good idea to put pressure on the parking pawl, which on other Nissans can make it hard to shift out of Park.
Not just Nissan's.

I use the parking brake because I cringe every time the Murano rolls, and rolls, and rolls before it hits the parking stop.
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top