Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed that the plastic cover on the lower part of my front bumper (passenger side) is missing. There is some sort of threaded pipe now exposed. What's that for? What would attach to it? There must be some reason why it has a removable cover.

·
Registered
746 Posts
When the MO is delivered from Japan to its destination, there is a ring hook screwed in there that keep the vehicle from moving while in transit. It is removed during the PDI.

These little covers (both left and right) are holding still with very tiny plastic tabs. I sincerely do not believe that this is a quality design.

I recently have installed a cloudrider (.com) cover grill over there and, while I like the safety and the look of the result, I noticed that these 2 little covers are very easy to detach. With the CloudRider grill screwed to it, it seems very heavy and a huge pothole could make it go away as well.

I'll try to make it more sturdy next weekend. Hot glue could be a temp fix.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SIM

Thanks for putting my mind at ease. I'll be ordering the replacement part tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
that's correct ron, I think I saw somewhere in the manual that this is the only acceptable way for a Mo to be drug up onto one of those flat bed tow trucks.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Yes its the cover for the front tow hook. I am willing to bet you can complain to the dealer that suddenly one day the part went missing and if you are lucky, they will replace it under warranty. If not, you need to visit the dealer to order the part anyways.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eric L. said:
I am willing to bet you can complain to the dealer that suddenly one day the part went missing and if you are lucky, they will replace it under warranty.
Good idea! I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Before talking to the dealer, take a look in the back.

My tow hook cover was in with the cargo net (the cubby on the driver's side). If it isn't there, try looking on the other side.

If you find it, it just pops in place. Then you can call the dealer and, uh, "thank" him for taking care of installing it for you.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
If you need a new cover I just got one... $5 and it just snaps on. Say how many tow hooks does everyone have with their MO? (The part that screws into the bumper) I only have one... shouldn't there be two?

·
Registered
844 Posts
SIM said:
When the MO is delivered from Japan to its destination, there is a ring hook screwed in there that keep the vehicle from moving while in transit. It is removed during the PDI.

These little covers (both left and right) are holding still with very tiny plastic tabs. I sincerely do not believe that this is a quality design.

I recently have installed a cloudrider (.com) cover grill over there and, while I like the safety and the look of the result, I noticed that these 2 little covers are very easy to detach. With the CloudRider grill screwed to it, it seems very heavy and a huge pothole could make it go away as well.

I'll try to make it more sturdy next weekend. Hot glue could be a temp fix.
Sim
I am think about getting the lower grill from Cloud-Rider. I am curious as to what color you went with ( Silver or Power black) also was it all weather or summer only. Hopefully your fix will work as I am interested in how well it worked.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Gonzo, there is only one in front and one in the back. The front one is really important because there is nothing else to attach to if they need to tow it. The rear one can be removed if you install a hitch. In fact, the Nissan OEM hitch that I installed required that it was removed.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
SIM said:
Gonzo, there is only one in front and one in the back. The front one is really important because there is nothing else to attach to if they need to tow it. The rear one can be removed if you install a hitch. In fact, the Nissan OEM hitch that I installed required that it was removed.
I'm confused.... how many places are there to "screen in" the tow hook which is stored in near the spare tire? How many places are they to secure the MO during a tow? One in the back and one in the rear?

·
Registered
746 Posts
The hook stored in your trunk goes in the front of the MO, under the left side little plastic cover (when in front of your MO - see the picture at the top of this thread). It is the only thing that can be attached to in the front of the MO.

In the back, there is a tow hook located on the left side of the muffler (again, while facing the rear of your MO). This rear tow hook is permanently left there and not removed unless you need to attach something else there (like a hitch or a bumper guard).

·
Registered
15 Posts
CopperKat said:

Good idea! I'll give it a shot.
I hope your experience explaining this to the dealer goes better than mine. I discovered this piece was missing a few days after I had the car. I called the dealer to ask them to replace it and since they didn't have a service department (it was under construction) they referred me to one of their other dealerships. I called the other dealership and no matter how I tried to explain what I was looking for, they didn't get it. They quoted me $150 to replace it. For a piece of plastic! I think he thought I was asking for the actual tow hook.

So I called my dealer back and they said they couldn't give me a part that cost $150!! Again, they didn't listen to what I was asking for. So Iasked to talk with the General Manager who was so friendly when I bought the car. He gets on the phone and starts laying into me about how great a deal I got and I have some nerve asking for anything else!!!

I went on line and found the part for $4 and ordered it. I'm still holding onto the survey form the dealer wanted me to fill out so I can express my disatisfaction. But I just don't have the energy for it all.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Thats just not right. You may also want to write a letter to the owner of the dealership. If I was the owner I would want to know that a $4 part turn into a $150 part and an unhappy customer.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
$4 or $150, does not matter. If they sold you the car with the piece missing, they should have given it to you free of charge, and with a big apology.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My Lost Cover

I can't believe the dealership treated you that way! I was also missing this same cover. I called my salesman and he said stop by and I'll put one on for you. After a couple of days, he called to see why I had not shown up yet and that he wanted to take care of it for me asap. I stopped by after a couple of weeks and he took one off another Murano in the lot. I guess someone else will be calling and asking for the cover he took off. However, I have mine :p

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Wow he called you back... thats great that is a good salesperson. I had a mechanic at the dealership I used to take my '89 Pulsar.... 220K miles oringal clutch, the car ran like new and in great shape. If If brought it in for something and the mechanic found something else wrong he would yell at me (in a nice way) and ask why I didn't tell me to fix it for me.

I like it when other realize just how important and how well you take care of your car and then they want to help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had one missing and the dealer replaced it without a 2nd thought. I noticed mine missing a day after I purchased the vehicle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts