Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the benefit of members who may be looking for parts for their MOs, let's list the name, location, and phone number of junkyards that have a Murano for parts.

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
I was sitting here gritting my teeth because, as most of us in IT know, this sort of thing is *perfect* for "e-business". I should be able to go to a website, key in details of what part I'm looking for, and get a list back of all the places that currently have it in stock. Heck, maybe even let us order it with an accurate shipping estimate! When junkyards receive a junked car, they should be able to enter the VIN which will add the car and all the installed options into their inventory system. That would in turn immediately update a national database, all available via an XML Web Service, of course ;) So, in my searching, I did find this

http://www.mypartshop.com/cgibin/findpn.pl

It seems like its a start, but when searching for a GPS screen and then a fuel pump, the same junkyard in Michigan showed up in both hits, once as the only vendor. I'm guessing there may not be too many places that participate in this "national database". Lets have some others hit this up and see if a pattern emerges.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Recently a colueage of mine did a motor swap on bmw 3 series engine

pre 1996 to BMW m3 engine and drive train.
He is a pro racer..so go figure :p

The way he can get a good deal on the motor, surprisingly, is by putting out lots of 'wanted' advertisement with his contact info to many junkyards. I beleieve he told me there is the so called wanted sections in junkyard/racer 'bulletin' kind of thing.

The junkyard, contacted my friend, negotiate the price and ship it at the back of a truck. Right to the font of his house...

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Yes, Sugar and Eastern, you can go that way.
There are a couple of services that work on the Internet for instance that allows you to ask for a part.
You might get several answers from guys that have the part.
Many of these guys now keep their own inventory on Computer.

Try uneedapart for instance (I'm not going to look it up, I think that is one name our builders have used)

But what I thought Eastern was talking about is a way to at least link these various inventories (Databases) together so that you can see what is in stock.

That's probably not going to ever happen.

Homer

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish the junkyards could just enter a vin number and have all the parts cataloged automatically. The fact is that all cars come into a junkyard because they are damaged, not any two the same. The inventory process therefore becomes a very long and manual job where each part is examined individually, fit and cross references determined, and then priced and cataloged. I know because I used to do it!.

This website is a good find. I am familiar with Hollander. Before the computer age (early 80s) Hollander provided parts reference books to the auto recyclers. In mid 90s they went into parts locating business using satellite. Now it appears that they are doing it through the internet. I am sure there are others that do the same but if it is still anything like the time I was in that business, I doubt it if more than 10% of all yards are going to be connected this way.

Like you suggested, this can be a good start. I am going to run different part requests to see which yards come up. Let's create our own Murano parts database here by listing all yards that we find have Murano parts!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Check this out on Ebay............ouch!!!!!! :eek:

Click Here

Maybe some great parts available for someone. I did take note that the rear bumper skin is missing in one photo, while visible in another, so perhaps the seller would sell this car in pieces.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like a parts car. I will call on Monday to see if it has navigation.

·
4,664 Posts
Of course! That's why it looks like that!;)

But seriously, I'm looking at the email info and history and wondering why he wouldn't have any previous parts sales.

If he works at the bone yard, why would this be the first? Maybe this is a first time? Strange email address...

I even wondered if he just took some pictures and will negotiate the price from the wrecker, or even from another wrecker off another Murano. (Like the new one parked down the street.)

If anyone contacts him, I'd be curious to know the background.:p

·
Registered
180 Posts
This Murano has been relisted. I assume he must be legit otherwise he would not offer to sell the whole vehicle?

New listing for crashed Murano

One thing is for sure, I am impressed with how the passenger cabin stood up to the brutal damage to the front end. The drivers doors does not even look like it crumpled at all!

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
I wonder if he figured a way to disable the governor???

Excessive speed is rarely the primary cause of a motor vehicle accident...#1 cause - driver distraction...not paying attention ... eating, talking on cell, operating radios and other toys...

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
zebelkhan said:
Looks like a parts car. I will call on Monday to see if it has navigation.
I'm interested in knowing that, too. I'd like to take a shot at reloading the OS, or getting it to someone else who can. Would be nice if we could save $180 a year on updates. From what link-hopping I've done, it appears to run Windows CE Automotive. Should be easy enough to replace.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just called the guy up. This is his cell phone. He is a private party and not a wrecking yard. He said the car was a basic with no Naigation. He did not say if he owned it.
Well, it is possible that he has negotiated with a yard to store his vehicle for him, but with the car partially dismantled (engine and tranny gone but still available) I think Jaak is correct in assuming that he may have just taken some pictures and will negotiate the price from the wrecker when he has customers for parts.

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Oh, too bad. Well, thanks for taking the plunge and letting us know!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts