Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started getting a damp, musty smell in the Murano and couldn't figure out where the smell was coming from. I could not find any moisture anywhere so I took some baking soda and spinkled in on the entire floor board front and back hoping that would get rid of whatever moisture or stink that was in the car. Well, a few days later I see the powder on the passenger side was wet. The entire bottom of the passenger side floor board under the carpet is soaked. Any one else had this issue, or have an idea on what is causing it? Air conditioning? Leaky windshield?

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
Ekaxel's idea is likely correct. Hopefully its the AC condensation thats dripping down and not a leaking heater core!

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
JBarr668 said:
Started getting a damp, musty smell in the Murano and couldn't figure out where the smell was coming from. I could not find any moisture anywhere so I took some baking soda and spinkled in on the entire floor board front and back hoping that would get rid of whatever moisture or stink that was in the car. Well, a few days later I see the powder on the passenger side was wet. The entire bottom of the passenger side floor board under the carpet is soaked. Any one else had this issue, or have an idea on what is causing it? Air conditioning? Leaky windshield?
No, I have not experienced this problem with my one-month old Mo, but I did have the same problem with my Jeep Grand Cherokee. First the musty smell then moisture in the front passenger carpet.

At first I assumed I had left a window cracked during a storm, then after it didn't go away I brought the truck to my mechanic and he suggested it was the door seals. After I had them replaced the floor was still wet and getting wetter even when there was no rain. It got to the point where I had water puddling on the carpet!!

One day while making a sharp right turn water poured onto my foot. Water had actually flowed out of the floor heater vent.

Apparently the A/C condensation outflow drain was clogged with debris and the water was collecting in the heater housing and then leaking from the floor vents onto the carpet and insulation.

I cleaned out the drain and never experienced the problem again.

There is a simple way to verify if this is what is causing your problem. Let the car idle in the driveway with the A/C on MAX and the windows open. Normally the A/C condensate will drip from under the front passenger side of the your car. If there is no puddle of water under the car, then more than likely you have a blocked condensate drain. If there is a puddle, it could be a partially blocked drain or something entirely unrelated.

Good luck.

-njjoe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Re: Passenger floor board damp

njjoe said:

No, I have not experienced this problem with my one-month old Mo, but I did have the same problem with my Jeep Grand Cherokee. First the musty smell then moisture in the front passenger carpet.

At first I assumed I had left a window cracked during a storm, then after it didn't go away I brought the truck to my mechanic and he suggested it was the door seals. After I had them replaced the floor was still wet and getting wetter even when there was no rain. It got to the point where I had water puddling on the carpet!!

One day while making a sharp right turn water poured onto my foot. Water had actually flowed out of the floor heater vent.

Apparently the A/C condensation outflow drain was clogged with debris and the water was collecting in the heater housing and then leaking from the floor vents onto the carpet and insulation.

I cleaned out the drain and never experienced the problem again.

There is a simple way to verify if this is what is causing your problem. Let the car idle in the driveway with the A/C on MAX and the windows open. Normally the A/C condensate will drip from under the front passenger side of the your car. If there is no puddle of water under the car, then more than likely you have a blocked condensate drain. If there is a puddle, it could be a partially blocked drain or something entirely unrelated.

Good luck.

-njjoe
Let me give this a shot. Thanks for the tips everone. I will keep you posted.
jb2

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Been out of town for a few weeks and I need to get this problem resolved. Where do I look for find the drain and what is the best way to clean it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having the exact problem that JBarr had.
Moisture on the passenger side front floorboard.

Does anyone know where the AC drain is located ?

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
jeffco98 said:
Does anyone know where the AC drain is located ?
AC drain is right in the middle of the car about 12 inches forward of the radio.

Best way to access it is to remove the forward portion of the shifter tunnel panel by the gas pedal. That I think is just snap in/out. That will give you a view of the drain tube and where it connects to the evaporator housing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts