Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my wife's 2015 Murano Platinum there's a leak where the axle comes out of the transfer case on the passenger side. It never leaked until we recently had the transmission replaced. After arguing with the dealer they agreed to replace the outer seal. They just called and said now they're not going to do it because they can't get the axle out due to a frozen bolt on a mounting bracket.

I see there's a TSB (NTB17-003 ) on this issue. I don't have access to the service manual so I can't see what's involved in replacing the inner seal.

Should I try just replacing the outer seal?

·
Super Moderator
1,688 Posts
They just called and said now they're not going to do it because they can't get the axle out due to a frozen bolt on a mounting bracket.
Frozen bolt on the mounting bracket? How's that possible when that would have had to been removed when the CVT was replaced. Axel shafts need to be removed. You stated that it was recently. Never saw a bolt that got frozen, as in rusted in place, in less than several years' time, even after being exposed to salty conditions.

Maybe someone cross threaded the bolt when it was reinstalled when replacing the CVT.

You might want to have an independent garage take a look to see what the issue really is.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They claim they installed the new transmission without removing the transfer case. I find that hard to believe but that's what they claim. The transmission was replaced less than 500 miles ago so it certainly couldn't have rusted in that time. We took it back within a week of the transmission replacement because of the leak and they claimed they didn't see anything leaking but the puddle on the garage floor indicated otherwise. After that it took about a week for it to start leaking again so I suspect they just cleaned the area, said there was no leak and sent us on our way.

Has anyone replaced these two seals? Looking at version C of the TSB it says I don't have to remove the transfer cover to replace both seals.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
They claim they installed the new transmission without removing the transfer case. I find that hard to believe but that's what they claim.
:LOL:

I'm not an expert, but that doesn't sound possible.

Have them explain the process 😁

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't understand how it is possible either, but that's what they claim. Arguing with them has gotten me nowhere. What they did/didn't do is irrelevant at this point. I just want to get this fixed so I can sell the vehicle.

·
Administrator
9,990 Posts
On my wife's 2015 Murano Platinum there's a leak where the axle comes out of the transfer case on the passenger side. It never leaked until we recently had the transmission replaced. After arguing with the dealer they agreed to replace the outer seal. They just called and said now they're not going to do it because they can't get the axle out due to a frozen bolt on a mounting bracket.
That's a flimsy excuse used when they simply don't want to do the job. Bolts can be drilled and replaced. Sounds to me like they simply don't want to do the work...and that does happen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a flimsy excuse used when they simply don't want to do the job. Bolts can be drilled and replaced. Sounds to me like they simply don't want to do the work...and that does happen.
I'm sure you're right, they had agreed to cover the cost since it happened immediately after they replaced the transmission. I still highly doubt they were able to replace the transmission with the transfer case still in the vehicle though.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I'm sure you're right, they had agreed to cover the cost since it happened immediately after they replaced the transmission. I still highly doubt they were able to replace the transmission with the transfer case still in the vehicle though.
Um, the transfer case is physically bolted to the transmission. If the Nissan tech replaced the transmission without removing the transfer case from the old transmission and re-installing it to the new transmission then he is truly the David Copperfield of auto mechanics. 🧙‍♂️

1 - 8 of 8 Posts