Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
How sturdy is the Proclip mount? I got a Treo 600 and would like to mount it (and the car kit when available) about where you have yours and this looks like a good solution.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
My only concern with that setup would be "What happens if the airbag blows? I have a Magellan 750M, I mounted it on a stalk. If the airbag deploys, it folds towards the floor. Just a thought.

Magellan 750 GPS

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The mount is very sturdy.
I also thought of the airbag, but if 1 blows, it's likely that both will and it would probabally not hit anyone.
Smitty

·
Registered
31 Posts
Where to purchase ProClip

Could you tell me where you got the ProClip mount? I went to the Brodit site and couldn't find any way to order from there. Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Multiple questions. What GPS unit are you using and how did you mount it? What navigation software are you running?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry about the site misdirection. If you select USA, it will give you this site

http://www.proclipusa.com

Just select your car from the left side drop down menu. They have 3 different styles of mounts ( right,Left and Center console)
The center console mount doesn't use a picture from a Murano, so I didn't feel safe ordering it. Mine is a Right hand side one.
They also sell the mount separately that you can attach to the proclip mount that will hold your specific PDA

Next question
I use a toshiba ppc e740 with an Ambicom GPS CF module (Circuit City) and External antenna mounted by the front windshield (On the center little hump)
I've tried several mapping programs and BY FAR use Mapopolis V4.31 (Newest version)
Routing is extremely accurate within a State or city (IE: one way streets, On ramps, addresses, ETC.)
Go to www.gpspassion.com
They have a few forums discussing GPS with PDA's

·
Registered
68 Posts
Have you tried, or do you know anyone who has tried, Tom Tom Navigator USA. I have an iPAQ 2215 with BlueTooth, and Tom Tom has a complete package for around $429. I also understant HP has a new iPAQ navigation system for USA. Do you have any information on either of them? Gpspassion has some information, but I believe that both are quite new for the US.

Also, do you find the right side, angled location closed enough for reading and using the PDA. I had a Toshiba e310 before I bought the 2215, which I bought because I use the CF slot for WiFi.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No experiences or knowledge on any of those.
I've tried Pocket Map Navigator, Pocket Streets and Routis and by far Mapopolis beats them all.
The only problem with Mapopolis is for State to State routes. Not always, but if all the states together go over the Population License Limit (20 million) it will error.
So all you do is load your starting state, Major Roads maps for the states you want to drive through, and load the destination state.
Or also load the states inbetween you may want to stop in.
All in all, This is their only flaw (Which I'm sure will be fixed in later releases of the viewer)
I tried routing a 3 mile route with pocket map Navigator and it had me turning up 3 One way streets.
Mapopolis uses Nav Tech Maps which are the best, but have population License limitations.
Smitty

·
Registered
8 Posts
Proclip with Garmin iQUE

I didn't have the Navigation unit either so my wife bought me a Garmin 3600 iQUE (Works great by the way). I didn't like the friction mount so I'm going to get one og these proclips. However, the audio and power hookups require the use of a car kit from Garmin anyway. I have that, but I bought a seconf garmin dashboard mount that I'm going to GLUE/TAPE/DRILL to the Proclip.

Should work just fine, just hope I don't have to shell out $99 for the external antenna.

Let everyone know how it turns out.

Jiinas

·
Registered
8 Posts
Clip okay

I ended up taking the Garmin Car kit and unscrewing the base so I can foam-tape it to the Pro-clip.

It made it look much better than trying to use the garmin dashboard mount on top of the clip.

Works just fine, even without the external antenna.

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Smitty:

one suggestion (I did this for my garmin 76s)

use the power plug in the center console, and run the wire under the "lip" that runs down either side from the center console under the dash.. it will hide the ugly plug in the lighter hole on the passenger side.. (the plug will be totally hidden in the center console)

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
jiinis:

what GPS did you use.. I was considering this for my 76s, but the cable is UGLY and plugs in the middle of the back (so it's hard to "flush mount" it on anything..

·
Registered
8 Posts
GPS is the Garmin iQUE

I used a Garmin iQue 3600. I got a PDA style unit so I can play MP3's (with a tape converter). I like the integrated software... far superior to other PDA GPS units I have seen so far using software like pocket streets, etc.

Only complaints:
1. Haven't figured out how to change the default map distance size. It keeps changing to .2 miles every time it recalculates or goes into display next turn mode.

2. (PDA Problem), You have to turn the unit off or it may drain the battery.

Attachments

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
on mine it's the "autozoom" feature in the configuration.. turn it off..

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
darrylburke said:
Smitty:

one suggestion (I did this for my garmin 76s)

use the power plug in the center console, and run the wire under the "lip" that runs down either side from the center console under the dash.. it will hide the ugly plug in the lighter hole on the passenger side.. (the plug will be totally hidden in the center console)
Darryl,

I like this idea... One question: Where does the cord enter the center console? Is there an opening underneath somewhere? Er, I guess that's 2 questions.... Thanks in advance.

:banghead:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts