Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was washing my MO last weekend and noticed that there is a spot (about the size of a quarter) on my front grill where the clear coat has peeled away. Anyone else have a problem like this? My MO is 6 weeks old so I don't think it should peel away from bug impacts yet. There doesn't appear to be a mark to indicate a collision of any sort. Any fix for this?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Mine did that too. I ended up putting a Colgan bra on the car and that covers the grille so I don't notice it anymore.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
There were some reports of this here on the forum quite sometime ago. Maybe all the way back on 03s.

Understand that the grill is plastic, not real chrome.

I haven't a clue as to a good search......

In any event it was a warranty situation.
Notify your dealer.

Homer

·
Registered
72 Posts
On my 03 Murano "Fins", believe it or not my dealer noticed it before me and ordered a new grill. Haven't had that problem on my 05 "Goldie" though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had my grill replaced twice under warranty, once for the clear coat pealing and once for the chrome blistering. the second time the dealer tried telling me that the grill was chipped by a rock and that water got under the chrome and caused the chrome to blister. I asked him to explain how plastic absorbs water, he quickly changed his toon and sead he would take care if it for me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Grille Peeling

I've noticed mine doing the exact same thing. '05 SE w/15k miles. Haven't taken it in yet to see what the dealer will do about it. Thought about just peeling the topcoat off myself and seeing how it holds up.

Is there any chance that this is some sort of protection film put on when manufactured, and supposed to come off at some point? Where mine has peeled - the chrome seems to be in perfect condition and easier to clean.

·
4,601 Posts
It's a known problem on other Nissans, looks like ours is catching up.

I've got two friends with Maximas that have had theirs changed 2-3 times because of the clear coat peeling off the chrome.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Grill Problems Continued

I took the MO to the dealer and he will in fact replace the grill under warranty but it was very obvious it needed it now.
The chrome had developed 2 or 3 veins running from top to bottom on both sides of the emblem in the center. The chrome has actually bubbled up and it almost appears as a stress type of problem.

Should get a new grill next week.

Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
My local dealer has also decided to replace my grill. That's fine right now, but what happens after 36,000 mi? I have an extended warranty - but won't be paying that out all the time for new grills....

Hopefully this is the worse problem I have the whole time I own the car! :D

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ramdram said:
My local dealer has also decided to replace my grill. That's fine right now, but what happens after 36,000 mi? I have an extended warranty - but won't be paying that out all the time for new grills....

Hopefully this is the worse problem I have the whole time I own the car! :D
If the dealer is going to replace the grill maybe you could bargain for the 2006 version or work a deal for one of the aftermarket grills.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
HuskyFan said:
If the dealer is going to replace the grill maybe you could bargain for the 2006 version or work a deal for one of the aftermarket grills.
That is a great idea. If it works then I'll go look for problems with my grill....I have another 3K before factory warranty runs out....:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't even know what the 2006 grille looks like. I have yet to find any information on the 2006. (Can't say I've been looking real hard but I've browsed around) I don't care for that thin lined "Z"grille do they call it? I've seen a few on Ebay and one on the road. I like the std grille better. Plus - I'd be afraid at resale time that someone might think I crashed it - and the body shop accidentally put the wrong grille on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dealer replaced my grille yesterday. Looks lovely! :) I'd swear this one is darker in color - more like a pewter vs the bright chrome - but it looks good. Found on one of the other threads the following website: www.nissannews.com

This has lots of nice photos and info on the 2006's including Murano. Some changes I really like - others are ok. For those interested. Did find the new LED taillights interesting - will be anxious to see how they look for real!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Had the same problem on my 04, It was blistering in some cases and I too noticed it while washing. dealer replaced the grill under warranty.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
"Understand that the grill is plastic, not real chrome."

The grille is real chrome. A plastic shell, a thin layer of copper, chorme plated and clear coated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts