Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jim Wolf Pop Charger or Injentech, aftermarket full catback exhaust...

Will the CVT be able to handle the increased power?

Seeing all the problems already reported with the CVT and some really weird mechanical problems coming from the drivetrain (noises, failures, etc...), I really just can't wait to see who will be the first to sit with Nissan and explain that their experiment should be covered by the warranty...

IMHO, the MO was designed as an elegant, fuel efficient and comfortable vehicle, and not as a 350Z sports car. At 4000 pounds, this mammoth will never feel nimble as a Z in a curve, SL, SE, catback, NOS or not.

The CVT is an unknown variable and this is probably why shops like Paddock, Stillen and all others are still hesitant to mass-produce a stage performance solution for the MO. These shops love $$$ and hate troubles. And we all agree that the CVT is already close to its limit as it is.

I spoke with a charming lady from Paddock Performance 2 weeks ago and she told me that the MO's full catback exhaust was going to be available at the end of that week. She told me that the info would be on their site at this moment for ordering. I don't know if they ran into problems or not but this exhaust is still not available for ordering 2 years after the MO was born and this is fishy.

I have taken my 300Z TT to stage 5 with more than 500 HPs and I knew that Millen has already taken it up to 750 HP so both Nissan and I knew that this Z was good for more. Yes, Nissan Canada knew about my stage 5 and I was visiting them regularly because it was my job (car guide reporter). They never had a problem with it and always respected the warranty even if it was heavily modified. Steve Millen is well-known and what he does is highly respected by Nissan.

The reason why I sold it? Ask my lawyer... lol

The point is, if you want a fast car, buy a Z and you'll find whatever you need aftermarket to make it a very reliable and very fast car. Again, IMHO, the MO does not and never will fit this description.

·
5,268 Posts
Hm,

interesting post. However (I hate this word), what if the CVT was replaced with 5 speed outo?:22:

·
Matthew Lesko
102 Posts
SIM said:
Jim Wolf Pop Charger or Injentech, aftermarket full catback exhaust...

Will the CVT be able to handle the increased power?

Seeing all the problems already reported with the CVT and some really weird mechanical problems coming from the drivetrain (noises, failures, etc...), I really just can't wait to see who will be the first to sit with Nissan and explain that their experiment should be covered by the warranty...

IMHO, the MO was designed as an elegant, fuel efficient and comfortable vehicle, and not as a 350Z sports car. At 4000 pounds, this mammoth will never feel nimble as a Z in a curve, SL, SE, catback, NOS or not.

The CVT is an unknown variable and this is probably why shops like Paddock, Stillen and all others are still hesitant to mass-produce a stage performance solution for the MO. These shops love $$$ and hate troubles. And we all agree that the CVT is already close to its limit as it is.

I spoke with a charming lady from Paddock Performance 2 weeks ago and she told me that the MO's full catback exhaust was going to be available at the end of that week. She told me that the info would be on their site at this moment for ordering. I don't know if they ran into problems or not but this exhaust is still not available for ordering 2 years after the MO was born and this is fishy.

I have taken my 300Z TT to stage 5 with more than 500 HPs and I knew that Millen has already taken it up to 750 HP so both Nissan and I knew that this Z was good for more. Yes, Nissan Canada knew about my stage 5 and I was visiting them regularly because it was my job (car guide reporter). They never had a problem with it and always respected the warranty even if it was heavily modified. Steve Millen is well-known and what he does is highly respected by Nissan.

The reason why I sold it? Ask my lawyer... lol

The point is, if you want a fast car, buy a Z and you'll find whatever you need aftermarket to make it a very reliable and very fast car. Again, IMHO, the MO does not and never will fit this description.
Of course a Murano will not handle like a Z by virtue of the fact that it is a 4,000 lb SUV, no need to state the obvious.

As far as aftermarket goes, there really isn't a big market. The longer the car is out the more things you will see coming out for it. Paddock just recently released the exhaust because they finally got someone to bring their Murano in for testing. They came out with exhaust for the FX only a few months ago (and its been out for the same time as the Murano)....

I was thinking about buying the "Injentech" (I think you mean Injen) intake earlier today, but since I can't take my Murano to "Stage 5," whatever that means, I guess I'll forget completely about it since the only car worth modifying is a Z. By the way, I hope that Steve Millen did a lot for you because you probably overpaid.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exactly what I meant Caruso. The different aftermarket performance parts for the Z are out as soon as the new model is out and they are florishing just a few months after it is available on the market, not so for the MO or the Buick Rendez-Vous. FYI, stages are performance steps for performance cars. You can visit the Stillen web site in order to learn more about the stages and their prices... :)

I never thought that I was robbed for spending $10,000 to gain over 200 safe HPs and make the low 13s on the 1/4 mile, certainly not anymore than someone willing to fork $200 to gain 5.

The reason why there is close to nothing available for the Murano is simply that, for one, it is not a performance car, and second, its power is handled by a CVT. As far as the FX are concerned, they do not share the limitations of the MO (no CVT and RWD config) and thus are probably destined for a better aftermarket performance life.

Peace!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah, I think the aftermarket performance folks have their market research right. The MO is not a Z, and the people who buy them are not after the same thing. Sure, there are a few exceptions that make the rule. But for the most part, MO owners are not going to show up in droves for high-dollar, high-horsepower bolt-ons like the Z crowd will. And, already owning a high-performance, transmission-longevity-limited SUV --- I'll let someone else find the performance limits of the CVT and figure out how to make it more bullet-proof. I'm sure it will be an interesting read.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts