Nissan Murano Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
4,664 Posts
I've noticed that the computer seems to hold back the engine a bit, when you stomp on it from a standstill. For example, on my Maxima, if I punch it while stopped ( I have an auto) the front wheels will break loose and squeal, if the traction isn't good. Or pull really hard, if the traction is there...

The Murano seems to wait until it's rolling before allowing the power to come on full. Considering CVT's have not been able to handle higher engine HP's until recently, I suspect this is so you can't beat the crap out of the transmission by throwing full HP at it at a standstill.

Anyone see the same thing? This is based on a half hour test drive (alone) that I did recently. I'll be able to confirm it as I drive mine next week.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gas milage...

Taylormade said:
Yes, the S is for sport mode, but it holds the rpms higher at all times. I don't really care for it. The 325i we have has a sport mode that I use at all times and it only holds the rpms higher as needed.

I'm not sure why they didn't design the CVT S mode to do the same thing. Drive around at 40mph at 3500 rpms and you'll see how annoying it is. I've used it a couple of times to enter an interstate. I guess the thought behind it is to alleviate the lag that you get in normal drive mode when you step on the gas.
I get between 20.4 and 20.9 MPG around town. Note, in my case around town means secondary roads, 30-45 MPH and few or no stoplights. On a
250 mi highway trip I get between 24-25 MPG. I drive with a light foot. :wink:

·
Banned
43 Posts
I read in February number of car and driver, and they got 7.5 on 00-60. Unfortunately, they were 7.8 and 5-60 mph. Im guessing the chip could improve, but I do not know much more than any improvement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
we got a mo about 3 mnths ago.my wife travels 80 miles a day.she gets arouns 22 mpg...as far as the second gear thing.i played with it at highway speeds.it makes passing at 70mph a breeze.it will just get gone instantly.puts thr rpms right around 6000 and takes off.i have also had it to 120 so far.lookin for more.our mo has no mods....yet

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
This thread is a few days shy of being 10 years old, going back to the when the MO was a recently-introduced model and the CVT was first being introduced to the American motoring public. It is interesting to read how the members back then were still in discovery-mode trying to figure out what the "S" on the shifter stood for and how the CVT operated.

As far as the performance chip for the CVT goes, it never happened. None was ever developed and it is doubtful one ever will be.

-njjoe

21 - 25 of 25 Posts