Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Junior Mint
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I enjoy the quiet ride of my 2006 Murano, I really wanted a throatier, meaner sounding exhaust.

After reading the forums, I tried just removing the center muffler (which is just a resonator). That yielded a slightly louder exhaust that bordered on a rice burner sound. Definitely not a throaty mean sound.

Buying a $1000 Murano performance exhaust was out of the question. So I described the sound I wanted to my muffler guy and he suggested replacing the Murano muffler with a Flowmaster muffler for the V6 Camaro. My roommate happens to have a V6 Camaro, so I compared the two mufflers. Sure enough - the inlets and outlets are in the same place and the Camaro muffler is slightly smaller.

I had the Flowmaster Camaro muffler installed. Keep in mind, the center muffler was already removed. At idle, the Flowmaster exhaust had a nice deep rumble. But on acceleration, the noise was unbearable. So I went back to my muffler guy.

He put a 24" resonator where the original center muffler was located. The result... SUCCESS! The perfect exhaust sound!

Now the Murano idles silently from inside the car, and it has a barely audible low rumble outside the car. On acceleration, it lets out a sweet throaty growl. I love the sound of this car!

Total cost - about $350 installed.

Original look was preserved. The benefit of the smaller muffler is that - unlike the original muffler - it can't be seen from behind the car.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have been looking for different ideas for this problem. I feel the same way about the MO exhaust. My brother inlaw did something on the lines of that for his pathfinder. I am just wondering what exactly it sounds likebefore I start tossing money into something that isn"t what I'm looking for. I know this is a stretch, but, any way we could get an audio clip?

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Linky-

Nice job. :29:

I like how you methodically approached the problem and found an acceptable and relatively inexpensive solution.

-njjoe

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
yes please sound clips if possible!!! if it sounds as good as you mention i'm getting the setup done on my MO

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
So.....
Take out Mid muffler
Put in Camaro V6 muffler in place of main muffler
Put in Mid muffler

One has to wonder what you would have if you just left mid muffler alone and replaced the main muffler...................

Homer

·
Junior Mint
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hfelknor said:
So.....
Take out Mid muffler
Put in Camaro V6 muffler in place of main muffler
Put in Mid muffler

One has to wonder what you would have if you just left mid muffler alone and replaced the main muffler...................

Homer
That's a very good point.

I would recommend just replacing the rear muffler first. I'm sure the Murano center muffler would have worked fine, but in my case it had already been removed.

Bottom line - the exhaust tone comes from the Flowmaster rear muffler, and the loudness is controlled by the center muffler. Anyone who is considering this mod should start with the Flowmaster, then replace the center muffler to get the loudness they want.

I'll try to get a sound clip posted. Be patient - my schedule is hectic right now.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Linky, how about a part number for the Flowmaster?

By the by, lots of sound clips of exhaust systems here .

Some are quite "entertaining", such as the Scion xB in the MagnaFlow section.

The Flowmaster Hush Power makes my heart hurt (in a GOOD way)!

·
Junior Mint
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just uploaded pics of the mod - check my gallery. The Flowmaster muffler is a Camaro 80 Series, part #42583.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Linky-

Nice job. Thanx for the pics.

-njjoe

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
ohh sweetness!!! soo many stock parts still used that's great. as soon as a sound clip is available i'm goin for it. Awesome 06 Mo by the way.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
UncaDanno said:
Linky, how about a part number for the Flowmaster?

By the by, lots of sound clips of exhaust systems here .
Some are quite "entertaining", such as the Scion xB in the MagnaFlow section.
The "67-73 Camaro V8, 2.5" Dual (Part #15896)" is recorded in stereo. It sounds great! You can close your eyes and imagine the Camaro traveling from right to left. :29:

The Scion? It sounds like a outboard motor. :2:

-njjoe

·
Registered
443 Posts
njjoe said:

The "67-73 Camaro V8, 2.5" Dual (Part #15896)" is recorded in stereo. It sounds great! You can close your eyes and imagine the Camaro traveling from right to left. :29:
Agree 100% -----> :29:

·
Registered
22 Posts
that is a very nice setup i think im going to get that done very soon and post pictures of it. i have a flow master in my fullsetup toyota and the sound is just amazing!!!

great job linky!!!

by any chance did you notice any performance increase or anything like that?

i was reading an article sometime back and it was saying how flowmaster muffler gives some extra horsepower? true?

well job well done again!

cant wait to hear the clip of it...

JIM

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've been thinking about a FM for my 04 but based on the way the car shifts or lack of shifting.. I'm wondering what the sounds is going to be like during acceleration....since its revs to the highest RPM and holds there until you back off...I don't know would sound kind of odd to me

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
bump for sound clips please

1 - 20 of 129 Posts