Nissan Murano Forum banner

81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
OK, here's my sound capture - actually it's a lil video from my camcorder. The Mo starting & revving with a FM 80 series in the rear and no resonator.

murano_flowmaster80_no_resonator.avi

I will post an "after" recording later this week after I get the Magnaflow installed mid-pipe.

If you don't have the codec for the video, you need the latest "xvid" codec. You should be able to hear the audio no matter what though - it's MP3.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
ok were do i get this xvid codec and i only get about half a second of sound, then nothing for the rest.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
ok i got the sound on my other comp and it is pretty deep. i don't however, like the rasp when you rev it higher without the resonator. could others comment on this sound clip and let me know what theirs sound like with the stock resonator in place. but man when you turned it on, it sounded almost V8ish.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah, it gets deep at the bottom. I'm really hoping the Magnaflow I'm putting in on Wednesday will lose the really high buzz and the deep drone. We'll see.

I had a chance to drive it on the interstate today for about an hour and it's not really the rpm's that affect the sound - it's more the load on the motor and where it is in its torque range. It's under load at the bottom of the torque curve that it sounds like a Civic with a fart cannon (insert angst here).

So I am really on the edge of my seat for what the Magnaflow will do. If it's good, I'll post that part number here too. And another vid for the "after". Right now, the sound's a bit much for me, but if you read Linky's post that started this thread, it was for him too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey Big John... I'm probably not going to do a drive-by clip until I have the MF muffler installed in place of my stock resonator that's currently MIA.

It sounds as odd as you probably think it does... like you have a manual tranny and the clutch is blown or you just don't know how to shift. That's why I'm hoping the second muffler hushes it up a bit. We'll see Wednesday :D

·
Registered
303 Posts
nissanlove said:
ok i got the sound on my other comp and it is pretty deep. i don't however, like the rasp when you rev it higher without the resonator. could others comment on this sound clip and let me know what theirs sound like with the stock resonator in place. but man when you turned it on, it sounded almost V8ish.
-=------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nissanlove , my fm sounds like tech guy on start up and ildle just a tad bit more quiet , however it does not sound the same on acceleration/revs it's much more suttle but remeber i still have my stock resonator .

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
i would also be keeping my stock resonator that's why i'm asking for comparisons.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well I finally had the Magnaflow installed inline where my resonator was. I can fully agree with Linky - it was too loud with just the Flowmaster. The Magnaflow toned it down a LOT. It does sound very close to an FX35 now and I am (and more importantly the wife is) totally happy with it now. It may be after dark here when I get home tonight, but I will go ahead and do another start-idle vid clip so you can hear the change. It's still got more of the bass tones and a little raspy growl, but you can't hear it bellowing like you could before when I'm in traffic. Look for the sound to come in a couple hours or so.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
WOOT WOOT can't wait. will this finally convince my dad.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I wonder if going w/ magnaflow for both would sound as good/better? I read on a Titan forum that the mag sound on a V6 sounds better than the fm on a 6??

·
Registered
44 Posts
To everyone that was waiting on this, I apologize. I'm moving this week, so things got a little pushed back. I have two clips here. The first clip is with the camera on the ground right behind the car, pretty much the same as the first, but with the Magnaflow muffler (part #11255) instead of the stock resonator.

http://www.thann.net/murano_wmf_fm80.avi

The second one was taken with the camera on the dash while I went for a trip around the block.

http://www.thann.net/murano_wmf_fm80_driving.avi

I hope that does the trick for you, Nissanlove!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
i think it sounds great!! much better than without the resonator and i think it'll be even more subtle with the stock resonator in place. did you have your window open during the in car drive because if not, then we for the most part know were most of the road noise is comming from haha.

·
Registered
44 Posts
nissanlove said:
i think it sounds great!! much better than without the resonator and i think it'll be even more subtle with the stock resonator in place. did you have your window open during the in car drive because if not, then we for the most part know were most of the road noise is comming from haha.
Hah! Yeah, I had the front windows down so you can hear the exhaust. With them up, you can only hear a difference in the very lowest notes inside the cabin.

About the pics, no, I didn't have my camera with me when it was up on the rack.

·
Junior Mint
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Tech_Guy -

Thank you for posting the sound clip! Your installation sounds exactly like mine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mid-Muffler/Resonator

I am glad to have found this website/forum. Thanks to all for spending the time to provide us with your trials and tribulations..

I'm in a bit of a quest to upgrade the exhaust system.. not necessarily because I hate it, but because I hope to get better MPG (currently reading 16.9 mpg) and the system I have now is not original. I bought used from a non-Nissan dealer. There were problems with the original, and I had the car dealer switch it out. Not knowing much about it then... I accepted it and am now having some regrets. (Is it appropriate, within this thread, to mention I hate that fuel shield?)

When I started reading about Linky and Tech_guy and some of you others, it got me going.

So, I'm down with the Flowmaster 80 for the back end.

But, as far as the mid-muffler goes... what models are people using? I'd like to replace my crappy one with a smaller one, then tuck it up a bit better than what mine does now. Linky, you mentioned a Magnaflow, circular-cross-section, I think. Could you throw out the model number for me? Tech_Guy, same thing...

Also, has anyone on here tried to weld their own? I'm fairly handy - but I only have a stick welder. I have access to a wire-feed MIG box. Anyone have any experiences? I can't seem to find any info on the web about muffler/exhaust welding. I understand about breathing oxidized zinc, health effects, etc. I'm more concerned about the weld quality. Do I need Argon?

THX in advance.

81 - 100 of 129 Posts