Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this just in.......

the engineers at Paddock Performance (no relation) are expanding their lineup of performance systems to include the murano....

i am ordering my FX (muffler only, for no) system tomorrow.... they are netting double digit rear wheel hp gains on the 4.5l motor....

if for nothing else, you get lessened weight, a true stainless system, and 4" borla SS slash-cut tips, with an added lower rumble-like note.....

more soon to report , i hope.....

Attachments

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
note:::

i only have the FX application pix to showya, but hope the nissan ones arent far away!!

i was as excited to see MO applications as i am the FX, so i wanted to share the good news here....

later on, they are gonna add a full cat-back system, which bypasses the oem resonator, and uses a hi-flow performance one instead

visit their site (under construction, im told) by clicking HERE

heres another image of the system on the fx45

not my car (wrong color, and waaay too dirty to be a FL car)

i think the aftermaket is just starting to wake uip to the crossover genre.... just in time (imo)

SMS

·
Registered
777 Posts
es - I'll really be interested to see what you think.
My boy has a magnaflow on his Accord & its very deep :cool: , but a little loud inside. :( & that's a 4 cyl.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Looks great how does it sound? Any louder then the OEM? I put a magnaflow on my wife' s Yukon Xl and it sounds great and looks good and is only slightly louder than stock.. I wonder, there is still one small pipe going in to the muffler and 2 coming out. So are you really getting much more breathing capacity? I would like to see either one larger pipe after the headers or possibly a separate system (cat. converter, muffler, tail pipe) for each side, now that would open her up. If I only had the money.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
What we really need in an exhaust system is something that replaces the center muffler with better road clearance. That is a weak point of the whole vehicle IMHO.

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this system is mMUCH smaller than oem, and as a result, is about 2-3 inches higher up as well........

the note is very sweet... DEEPER at idle-like speeds, and throaty when you let her rip....

i can only imagine the sound it'll create with the CVT running hi revvs continuously....

heres some pics, soundclips next week

see THIS THREAD for more

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Looks like the tips could and SHOULD stick out further.

Homer

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Well they are way to nice to hide.
I'ld pull em out almost as far as I could without barking my shins.
That's probably not something that you can do.

Homer

·
5,268 Posts
I like it! I like it very much! I would even like it more if:
1. It was available for Murano
2. Replaced the terrible looking middle muffler
3. wasn't much nosier than the OEM Murano exhaust.

:)

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Yes.
If those guys go ahead and do a cat back for the Murano, I would suggest
- 3" pipe
- Elimination of the "Middle" muffler
- pull those tips out so that they are vertically even with the trailing edge of the bumper.
- price the whole thing at no more than $500.

Like Kris, sound is important.
Should not be any louder under cruise and not a lot louder under acceleration.....and the tone? LOW!
We don't need no steenkin raspy sounds:2:

Homer

OH yeah, it wouldn't hurt to pop a K&N in and dyno the combo for about an 8-10RWHP gain............:D

·
Registered
834 Posts
Very nice.

Do you think they will have the cat back system ready by the spring?

That would be prime time to perform the install.

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hfelknor said:
Well they are way to nice to hide.
I'ld pull em out almost as far as I could without barking my shins.
That's probably not something that you can do.

Homer
you know homer, we are more alike than i thought... that was the very first comment i made as the car was lowered down......

this afternoon,

while at the gym, i parked next to another fx (35 tho)... compared to the stock system, they are the identical (±¼") inset distance....

i did, however, call a good custom shop down here, who said they could extend em back 1" for peanuts...... in less than one hours labor (50$)

the catback system for the v8 (without resonator mid-muffler) sounds way too obnoxious for me(anyone listen to the sound/video clip??),..... it is louder than my old blown mustang of the 90's (and that had a full on shorty headers, H pipe, dynomax ss mufflers!!)

ken can whip up the exact system i showed ya for the MO as well.... then take it to a muff. shop, have em cut out the midpipe (replace with ???) and bolt on the paddock system as well....

im guessing the midpipe muffler on the MO doesnt create the same sounds that it seems to on the 4.5l setup.....

·
5,268 Posts
I have checked out your video...............i think the sounds does not really do the justice............i guess these are just my computer speakers..........

What about driving on the highway...............in the city............

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kris said:
I have checked out your video...............i think the sounds does not really do the justice............i guess these are just my computer speakers..........

What about driving on the highway...............in the city............
hey kris.....

the video (of the car on the lift/in the shop) with the muffler only setup is a bit misconstruing.... it sounds better with the oem in the videos!!lol

anyway, what this does is add a lower (free flow i guess) tone/note to the exhaust, and when you goose it a bit, it gives off more of a deeper 'huff" than before....... id say it takes the sound from a 4 out of 10 (rating) to a 7 out of 10 ( rating)...

***disclaimer***the above statements prolly make no sense...... im tryin tho!!

sms

ps- on the hiway, there is NO droning at all, or rumble of the floorboards (none more than oem)..... only time i notice it is when i speed up a bit, and/or drop down a gear or two (manually as well)

im anxious to see a MO with it (and hear it with it too)

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Yeah, when I went to "duals" on my Miata, I listened to several files of sounds.
Nothing like the real thing.
Too many sacrifices of fidelity along the way I guess.

BTW, the Miata duals came out great....for a 4 cyl.
The v6 is a bit better BUT
Nothing sounds like a v8. Period.

It's like trying to make a Kawasaki 2 stroke sound like a Harley.
You just can't get there from here.

So what's it gonna take to get what I want?

How many bones did your muff cost????

Homer

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the muffler (only) system is 750, shipped.... for the fx...

sounds spensive, and it is, BUT i think its gonna prove worthwhile (he has a CAI kit almost ready as well, with dyno tests to prove its worth)

maybe i can get a break on that then...

also, i think ken (owner of the shop) is gonna offer online deals for members of the dot.org sites, so i hope he comes thru...

if you can, call him - he didnt mind answering alot of questions, and even calling me back as well......

sms

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I have no interest in a $750 muffler.
The catback for the Miata was $425. Polished SS also.
Just a SS pipe and the Muff.

Thanks.

Homer

1 - 20 of 20 Posts