Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done anything to their car to try to improve

A. Performance
B. Gas/Milage
C.both

and seen any noticable differences?

I'm wondering if things like the Tornado fuel saver, better spark plugs, better exhaust, or different suspension show noticable improvements or for those mechanics out there if you have actually run test to show increase in Hp, torque, handling?

·
5,244 Posts
A. I would be very careful when it comes to performance. CVT would be a limiting factor.

B. Put K&N air filter and Mobil 1 oil. Did it improvem fuel economy - I do not know. What I do know that I am getting better numbers now driving at suburbia,. It used to be 18 mpg and now is 20 - 21 mpg.

Highway driving - economy varies depending on speed, wind, terrain etc.

C. I do not believe in "magic" spark plugs etc.

·
4,601 Posts
Spark plugs would make a difference in the days when ignition systems were marginal. Today? A decent system should be able to drive a spark across anything...

I noticed the Crossfire I saw this week has a sticker under the hood specifying Mobil 1. Must be a Daimler engine...

·
Registered
485 Posts
Mobil 1 definetly netted me around 1 MPG, and this was easily visible with two back to back couple thousand mile road trips with my 10K oil change inbetween where I switched to synth.

I know Stillen is working on perf parts, but when it comes to the VQ the 350Z and G35 came first and they are just starting to gear up for the transverse mount stuff. "Soon" is what I hear...

Parts to make the motor breath better should be a big win-win (intake, exhaust, ECU, maybe cams or headers). Better MPG, more torque towards the top of the RPM band to make Sport Mode truly sing, and little increase in peak torque so not much danger of messing up the CVT.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Actually changing the spark plugs to BOSCH platinum 4 will make a big difference on performance and fuel economy. I did the experiment on my previous car and the improvement was roughly a 25% on the same ride on highway, from the gas station to destination. Also it improve the responsivenes of the car.
Sad Part on their web site they still dont have the part number that fits the murano or 350z or g35. hopefully they will get it there soon.

·
5,244 Posts
25% improvement? I find it hard to believe. No, sorry I do not believe it. I am sceptic, oh and an engineer too............

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I do not believe for a minute that Bosch +4's would give any noticable improvement over the stocker NGK Platinums (which are excellent plugs).

Maybe the Bosch plugs will make a difference if your old copper plugs are in really bad shape, but its pretty difficult to beat the NGK's.

On the Maxima forums, people have tried all the plugs, Bosch, Denso Iridium, and plain ole Champion coppers, and in the end, the NGK's still reigned supreme.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The experiment was not done in a brand new car. It was done at 30,000 miles even though spark replacement was recomended at 60,000 miles.
That was my personal experience on an average car not in a sport car.
Usually a sport car will be close to optimal combustion from factory. A minor change like this wont make a big difference in performance.
sorry i did not clarify it before

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
I switched to the Bosch +4 at about 30,000 miles too (not in my Murano). I have to say, I hated them. They performed well (no improvement) for 600 miles, and then they started performing so bad I took them out and threw them away.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I too have been experimenting with my MO on fuel economy as in Canada the Mo was rated at 9.3Lt/100 Km HWY ( 32 MPG Imperial gallon) and 12.3Lt/100 Km city ( 23-24 MPG). I have found that I have needed to adjust my driving habits with the CVT and in doing so have found the following.

As long as I do not allow the MO go above 2000 RPM it will get up to speed (80Km/h) just as fast as any one else in the city, the big differance is in the fuel economy. If I race up to speed the fuel economy is down to 14-15lt/100km, with having a lighter touch on the gas pedal the economy goes up to 12-13Lt/100 km.

On the highway, I did a drive to Banff and set the cruise control at 100 KPH. The drive from Calgary to Banff is not a flat drive as you are climbing up into the mountains so you are going up and down hills and valleys. On that trip I was able to get 9.3Lt/100 Km and according to the onboard computer that was giving me a range of over 900 Km, which is good enough for a 9 hour drive to Kamloops in B.C. On this whole trip the RPM never got above 3000 RPM, in my old Dodge Caravan I could never climb hills like that and keep it below 3000 RPM

To me I think it is just getting use to this new style of transmission which truely differant from what we are all used to. My wife has even seen the benefits of this type of tranmission vs. the old style. She even likes it better than the old style, I think she is just enjoying the more HP the way the MO rides.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Calgary to Banf

What a heavenly drive, drove last year from Sankatoon to Banf, thru Calgary.

And to ride in MO to visit the Banf is just double the fun and enjoyment. :2:

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I was in Banff many years ago, it is beautiful!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts