Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI everyone, newbie here, but have been lurking for about 2 months. I took delivery of my SL AWD begining of October, and have to ask if there is anyone else dissapointed with the performance of the MO? I realize the CVT takes some time to get used to, but I just got smoked by both an old blazer and a 100K mi. GS 300!! And I mean smoked! There seems to be no low end acceleration. I am hoping someone will tell me mine is fubar and I should get it fixed along w/the door rattles. However, there isnt a place I go where the gawkers are not out!

Thanks,
Tony

·
Registered
400 Posts
Use Ds or L

The MO will accelerate, but you've got to do a little torque-braking in Ds or L. Even then, the acceleration really picks-up when the RPMs swing up past 4000 rpm.

Personally, I haven't had much trouble out-accelerating a few cars away from stoplights. It does take some time to learn how the CVT behaves in the MO. Once you get used to it, you'll learn how to launch it better.

Bob K.

·
5,268 Posts
wait till you get at least 5k miles. It will perform much better. i am approaching 10k and can see the difference. As a matter of fact I just "raced" new Infinity I35 at traffic light - you should see the face of the driver!

I agree with the previous post - 0 to 30 Murano seems a little bit sluggish, however once you past it.........it just flies. The CVT makes it very smooth so you will not really feel the kick like with clasic transmission.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I read somewhere that the Murano is designed to start off slow because the computer limits the amount of torque delivered to the CVT.

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Tony D said:
HI everyone, newbie here, but have been lurking for about 2 months. I took delivery of my SL AWD begining of October, and have to ask if there is anyone else dissapointed with the performance of the MO? I realize the CVT takes some time to get used to, but I just got smoked by both an old blazer and a 100K mi. GS 300!! And I mean smoked! There seems to be no low end acceleration. I am hoping someone will tell me mine is fubar and I should get it fixed along w/the door rattles. However, there isnt a place I go where the gawkers are not out!

Thanks,
Tony

i too felt that!!

1) the motor is prolly tight (seems to loosen up and really start rocking after 4K miles, im reading)

2) maybe the cvt is a bit "tight" as well, and the ECU limits the initial torque to it, until, say, a certain amount of miles have been logged in .....jusa guess.....

learn the beauty of the "s" mode, and, instead above keep her above 4000 rpms, to get the full-on torque.........

·
Registered
129 Posts
See what happens when you get rid of your Murano and go to the Infinity camp Esemes. You loose the ability to talk right.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I havne't had that problem, although I haven't really raced off the line yet.
I will tell you when you punch it to pass someone, or are just getting on the freeway, you will BLOW past people like it is nothing.
I told my wife to punch when we were passing someone on a trip the other day and she was blown away by how fast and how much power it had. We were gone,.................she left it punched and we were up to 100mph in no time.
I have done that while getting onto a highway and passed drivers that were in front of me that looked like they were standing still.
My 4runner NEVER had that much power, and we only have 600miles on it. If it gets better that is only going to be nicer.
We haven't done this much due to breaking the engine in, although I am a advocate of getting the RPM's up there while breaking it in to let the engine seat itself at high power. I don't granny it the whole break in period, seems to hurt it more than help it from my mechanical training.

Now from a stopped start it might need a little help, don't know yet.

Chez

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the replies, I have found that the it really is fast once moving, like merging etc. I"m sure it has everything to do with the CVT. I wasnt trying to race, we just were at a light and both just stood on the gas, and went to only 50mph or so. I was just reading all the posts about how fast everyone says it is and I was worried I had an issue. I'll give it a while I only have 2K miles or so on it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've noticed the same... the MO is a bit sluggish off the line unless you step on it, or use S (Ds). I'm at 10k miles and I have noticed the performance has gotten a bit better as time goes on, as does the MPG (23.5 right now!)

·
Registered
792 Posts
I'll smoke the Murano in my 'Blazer'

The wife has tried a couple times to take me from a light.

The Murano does very well for a 4K# vehicle with a V6. It really moves quite nice once you are at speed. And I agree - it does get better after time.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Has anyone tried using AWD button for an off the line start. The 4wd might help for a fast off the line start.
I was going to try today, but forgot to try it out.

I will tell you, once I get on it from 25, it smokes everything around it. It takes off like a rocket. At least mine does, or thats how it feels compared to my 2002 4runner, and other sports cars I have owned. It feels like it just gets right on it and just gooooooeeeeess.
Off the line it is a little disapointing.
I did order the resistor chip thing for the MAF off ebay for $10 including shipping, I figured it was worth it even if it doesn't work on either of my vehicles. I also ordered the rear plugs for the rear A arms. Chrome license plate frames. Window ventvisors.
From the dealer, all with 10% off I have
Wiring harness
Rubber mats
Wheel Locks(just in case with the Chromies)
Bumper guard

Hidden Hitch from Hitchesonline for $157 shipped, couldn't pass up the price. And for what I will be using it for.

All I need now is to find a place that sells
19"/26" RainX wipers
Part # for Nissan Hood deflector or Aftermarket place to buy
K&N air filter for best price - so far I found it at KC Whitney for $37

Any help on those would be appreciated!:cool:

Chez

·
Registered
466 Posts
You should look into the Amsoil air filter....it's a double foam piece that flows just as good as K&N, but filters better. I like mine!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Chezman29 said:
I will tell you, once I get on it from 25, it smokes everything around it. It takes off like a rocket. At least mine does, or thats how it feels compared to my 2002 4runner, and other sports cars I have owned.
I just can't resist. The MO is a 16 second 1/4 mile car (at best) and traps in the 80s (4000 lb and all). What other sports cars have you owned?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Come on, can't you take a joke. It gets on it for an SUV is all.

My other sports cars, Porshe 944, Porsche 356. Japanese Nissan Skyline.
NOOOOOOOOOOO the MO was nothing like them. I was being feshesis(SP WAY OFF!).
Chez

·
Registered
792 Posts
Ahh the Skyline. Another one of those cars that'll never make it to my stable but it'd be great if it did.

The 944 really doesn't count though. :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Heh. OK I know what you mean. The engine and tranny in this SUV/car/whatever seem to keep things right in the middle of the torque curve and it definitely doesn't feel like it's struggling. The torque, in particular, makes it feel gutsy.

BTW, the skyline is readily available now... at your infinity dealer aka G35. You can then get the bogus emblems here:
http://www.tornactive.com/pd_nissan_japan_trunk_emblem_350gt.cfm

·
Registered
139 Posts
They are also available in Canada and can be imported.

And the 944 DOES count. I smoked a Z28 supped up by 1 1/2 car lengths. A 4cyl vs. a supped up Z28 Camaro. What a day that was.
It was also a good friend of mine in the military who didn't believe the 944 had that much power and would never beat his "beloved baby". It did, and my wallet got fatter too.
Not to mention, I smoked em' a little too much off the line.
For realities sake, he was driving an automatic, speed shifting it though, power braking off the line as well.
He said we was surprised and finally gave it the respect it deserved. It was a concourse daily driver too BTW.
My 1st car. I bought it when I was in the military. I road a mountain bike through high school. I grew up in S. Cal on the beach, with 1st period being surfing class. A car wasn't a priority then!!!
Chez

1 - 19 of 19 Posts