Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone here please let me know how I can permanently disable the running daylights on my 2017 Murano SL? Thanks

·
Registered
898 Posts
You can't, unless you unplug some connector or relay from the fuse box inside the engine bay.

·
The Phone Booth Fanatic
1,287 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Why!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I personally won't turn it off.
But a few legit reasons:
+ State-law doesn't require & Don't like the amber look (but don't want to replace the bulbs)?
+ One dead bulb (no time to replace yet)?

My 14Avalon has the option in the settings for that (must be a valid choice for them to allow, right?)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Can someone here please let me know how I can permanently disable the running daylights on my 2017 Murano SL? Thanks
Brother, when you find out please let me know. I want to turn mine off too.

And to those who ask *why*. Well, same reason why I don't have *dry weather running windshield wipers*, *no traffic for miles constantly beeping horn* or *full speed ahead running brake lights*. The name says it all, the evil invention of a moronic apparatchik, made all the worse by car companies that insist on having high beams blinding everyone coming and going (Toyota, I'm looking at you specially, may all your cars break down).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just Curious

And to those who ask *why*. Well, same reason why I don't have *dry weather running windshield wipers*, *no traffic for miles constantly beeping horn* or *full speed ahead running brake lights*. The name says it all, the evil invention of a moronic apparatchik, made all the worse by car companies that insist on having high beams blinding everyone coming and going (Toyota, I'm looking at you specially, may all your cars break down).
Are you saying that DRLs do not have a safety value? Do they not make you more visible to other drivers? And what's your opinion of anti-lock brakes, stability control systems, forward collision avoidance systems? I'd be interested in your opinion. Thanks.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM

Are you saying that DRLs do not have a safety value? Do they not make you more visible to other drivers? And what's your opinion of anti-lock brakes, stability control systems, forward collision avoidance systems? I'd be interested in your opinion. Thanks.
If this guy see me with my lighting, especially the rear end lit up and the hi-light blinking at him, he'll probably run me off the road!>:D

·
Registered
26 Posts
That is exactly what I'm saying my friend. DRLs, far from being a safety feature, actually are a big hazard. DRLs were not thought of at MB or Volvo safety research labs but actually were the brain fart of Canadian - and later Scandinavian - apparatchiks just making one more rule and regulation. The idea was that during winter time in the North daylight is only a few hours and even then it can be overcast and grey. Of course, the apparatchiks thought people were too stupid to turn on their own lights so they mandated the supremely idiotic concept of DRLs. Nowadays some people still forget to turn on their lights but now many of them just think *my car has DRLs, I don't need to worry about lights anymore*. Where I live, Virginia, USA, people are big fans of DRLS if you don't see half a dozen cars at night with their main lights off, you don't see any.

Second problem with DRLs are their implementation. Who here hasn't been blinded by full on (though they claim they're *dipped*) high beam DRLs on BMW 3 series, Lexus RX & ES, Toyota Rav4, Camry and Corolla, Mazda 3,5,6, Subarus of all kind, Honda Accord and Civic and many, many, many others. Japanese car makers are the biggest culprit and, lo and behold!, they don't flood their own Japanese home market with this dangerous joke.

I assume you ask about ABS, stability control, etc tongue in cheek. I don't have a problem with them as I don't have a problem with seatbelts, crumple zones, third break light, fuel shut off or any of the other REAL safety features.

Again, give it some thoughts guys: having your lights on during the day is just as logical and safety oriented as having your windshield wipers on when it's not raining.

Last thought and I'll stop ranting: with the advent of auto lights (our own Muranos have them) the initial *logic* behind DRLs has gone away. Now there's a sensor that can turn on your lights when it gets too dark. No need to have a Toyota's high beam DRLs blinding you on a perfectly clear day.

·
Registered
703 Posts
3rd Gen uses LED strips as DRL while 1st and 2nd Gen use fog lights, no big problem IMHO. I understand not all vehicles are created equal and yes the latest Corolla can be kinda bright with its LED headlamps! We've had DRL for about 30 years here North of the border and the most popular system was to power the high beams in series reducing the light output and increasing the life of the bulbs as they were working at half their rated voltage. Not dipped but rather dimmed and yellow.

I also see a lot of cars at night with just the DRL; because the dash is illuminated people think their headlights and taillights are on (Typically Civic, Elantra, etc.). Or just the parking and side markers. Auto headlamp is nice provided the driver puts the switch in the auto position! We're not gonna win at this game...we're dealing with humans.

The shop manual shows a DRL relay under the hood, try unplugging it.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Back in the late 70's early 80's, the company I worked for went to a "lights on for safety" program. This was before the preponderance of DRLs. The thought being that running with lights on would decrease accidents. They went so far as to wire up every new car and company truck so that the lights came on when the vehicle was started. They worked exactly like today's DRLs. We did this for 5 years. The conclusion after 5 years...it made absolutely NO difference in the accident rate. It was discontinued throughout the company.

I hated the early attempts at DRLs and for that reason would not buy a GM product that forced us to have them. I have changed my mind with the new LED running light strips on most new cars. I think a lot of them are attractive and eye catching. Safety wise...not so much.

·
Registered
898 Posts
The shop manual shows a DRL relay under the hood, try unplugging it.
You can't, the DTRL relay is not serviceable, meaning you cannot remove it, it is part of the fuse box. If you try, you will break it...

Again, the DTRL are controlled entirely by the computer, there is no serviceable part as far as the driver. The reason they made it that way is that so that people don't mess with it, since it is a safety feature.

·
Registered
618 Posts
You can't, the DTRL relay is not serviceable, meaning you cannot remove it, it is part of the fuse box. If you try, you will break it...

Again, the DTRL are controlled entirely by the computer, there is no serviceable part as far as the driver. The reason they made it that way is that so that people don't mess with it, since it is a safety feature.
Today's DTRL are nothing like yesterday's DRL's, which I hated and disabled on my wife's Rav4 by swapping the relay. But in all my years of driving, NYC - Hartford daily, I can't say that I was ever blinded by a car with DRL's in the daytime.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Today's DTRL are nothing like yesterday's DRL's, which I hated and disabled on my wife's Rav4 by swapping the relay. But in all my years of driving, NYC - Hartford daily, I can't say that I was ever blinded by a car with DRL's in the daytime.

Have a good day.
I agree, and my eyes are quite sensitive to light.

·
Registered
703 Posts

Thanks assad. One could cut simply the wires powering the DTRL, a bit unorthodox but if this is what someone really wants. Also the parking brake when depressed just a notch will prevent the DTRL from being powered and I don't think this would be enough to wear the brake pads as there is some slack; however this will trigger a warning light on the center dashboard but a small piece of black electrical tape could cover it. One could also disconnect the switch at the parking brake pedal; not sure if it's a normally closed or normally open contact but it doesn't cost anything to try!

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
My gripe about DRLs is as mentioned earlier - in many cars they are just cheap lights with round lenses that throw light pollution up into the eyes of oncoming drivers. This isn't an issue daytimes, but at night it can be rather blinding.

Dodge Ram trucks have some of the WORST lights; I don't know if they're supposed to be "driving lights" (they're not) or "fog lights" (also obviously not) or "daytime running lights." All I know is that they are freakin' blinding and there are some trucks that I want to follow home with a hammer and take out their lights. I make it a point to flash my high beams at them, and not in a kind way either. GM also put some DRLs on vehicles that were simply awful, cheap, obnoxious lights.

If DRLs are actually decent lighting instruments or LEDs which don't throw lights up into the eyes of oncoming drivers, I consider them to be a safety augmentation and a benefit. Unfortunately lights like that are the exception rather than the rule.

Any light facing forward on a car should have a well designed lens and reflector, and should control the aim of the light.

A few decades ago when I was a reserve deputy on patrol, I knew there was a law in my state that one could have no more than four driving type lights facing forward. I never enforced it unless some goof blinded me in the daytime with crappy dime store "driving" lights facing me. I pulled them over and gave them a choice between disconnecting the driving lights and getting a ticket. No one chose the ticket.

·
Registered
726 Posts
+2

I can’t tell you how many times people would pull out in front of cars on tree-lined back roads back in the day before DRLs. This is especially problematic with bright sunny day and a dark Car come down a shaded road. I used to think it was other drivers being careless, but it is hard to see into the shade when you have a dark, unlit car coming. I even paid extra on much 2010 for the Nissan OEMs...I did not do this for appearance, but for the functionality and never regretted it. I am so glad the 2018 has these standard and they are actually pretty good looking to boot.

·
Registered
398 Posts
My gripe is how the DRL dont turn off when the car is put into park with the parking brake on. Because of Nissans amazing idea of cutting out the power to the entertainment system as soon as you shut the car off, I'm sometimes sitting somewhere with my DRL on at night just to finish off a conversation. Annoying...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts