·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Questions about the Phatbox:

1- Does it works with the Murano?
I think the answer is yes. It work for sure with the G35
http://forums.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=81018&highlight=phatbox

2- Can I use any phatbox hardware as long as I use the infinity/nissan firmware (and I think they are two: one that emulates the CD changer, one that emulates the satellite radio).
Here too, I think the answer is yes
http://phatbox.sixpak.org/firmware/

3- What about the nissan specific harness ? it's not a simple cable, it has an electronic dongle too and Phatnoise won't sell it as spare part.
- Anyone took it apart to look what's inside ?
- I suppose we have the unbalanced to balanced converter. Btw, what's required here ? differential level 1Volt? common mode 6V?
- What about the serial com ? any electronic in the dongle ?
I understand the HU will take in a standard RS232 protocol but for the electrical levels that are inverted and need open collector drivers (that is drivers for peripheral to head unit TX and RQ, and pullup on peripheral side to receive head unit).
I'm not sure about the REQ line. If using one of those USB/RS232 adapter (TTL level, like FTDI FT232 ) could I use the RTS line of the RS232, enabling hardware flow control while feeding it back in CTS. But this is another topic.

btw, what ever happened to the " Murano Audio Project: Interfacing to Nissan's Nbus (Sat interface)" post. Only google cache will show it to me.
http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache...anmurano.org/forums/&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=2[/url]

4- There's a sticky about harness for SAT radio (I have a 2003 Murano, which, unfortunatly, is not prewired). I don't need sat radio but still need a harness to get to the HU.
Any idea where to find the USA-SPEC CDC harness that Jaak mentions (I suppose it's a CDL-NS for the CDC SCD-N66e)

Well, a lot of questions here. If I get somewhere, maybe I'll be able to contribute something back...

Thanks

Vincent

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not much help :(

OK, here's where I'm at:

- Ordered a $30 USA SPEC CD changer cable to get a harness for my 03 (still waiting for it though)

- Got an audi phatbox on ebay

- Updated its firmware (easy, courtesy of Phatnoise)

- Searched for nissan/infiniti pinout information, but not luck

- Using the info from other flavors of phatboxes
http://www.bingner.com/phatnoise/pinouts.html
http://wiki.phathack.com/Pinouts
and tracing the pcb tried to come up with the pinout of the connector

1 Out - Audio left
2 Out - Audio Right
3 Power In - 0V batt
4 Power In - 0V batt
5 ??
6 ??
7 ??
8 In - U17-A0
9 Power In - 0V batt
10 Power In - 12V batt
11 Input - U24/2A
12 Output U24/4Y
13 Power In - 12V batt
14 ACC - 12V
15 ??
16 Power In - 0V batt
17 ??
18 ??
19 Power out - U8/reg2 (5V)
20 Power out - U8/reg1 (8,5V)
21 ??
22 Input - U17/A2
23 Power out - U8/reg3 (5V)
24 In U17-A3
25 Out U17-Y0
26 ??

Just need to find the serial com lines, I was really hoping that somebody out there would have had the info or could look up its nissan/infiniti dongle...
Plan B is use a PC and feed in "00 06 06" to everything that look like an input while monitoring all outputs

Anybody ?

Vincent

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
You are obviously in unchartered waters here.
Good luck.

Homer

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Homer
Yep I really feel lonely :(
Eventually, if I figure out the pinout, I could take some help from Jaak for the electrical interface of the serial com.
Thanks for the encouragement though !

Scott
What did you try ?

Vincent

·
Registered
9 Posts
Vince said:
Homer
Yep I really feel lonely :(
Eventually, if I figure out the pinout, I could take some help from Jaak for the electrical interface of the serial com.
Thanks for the encouragement though !

Scott
What did you try ?

Vincent
I only made a few phone calls. I asked JAAK too. The answer was always NO.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Vince,
I have the Phatbox working perfectly in my G35 Coupe. If it helps I can send you the pin outs and details on the cable connection.

I just got a '06 Murano so I'm going to be trying to figure out if it works there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah ! that would be really helpfull !

At the minimum we need to know the pinout from the phatbox to the dongle on the adapter cable, the audio and power supplies are easy but the serial port isn't...

Actually I have never seen this cable (you can't buy it anymore, though I didn't call phatnoise or nissan to doublecheck) is it easy to open up ? could you send pictures ?

btw sometime ago G35 folks were thinking along the same line:
http://forums.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=130341&highlight=phatbox

Thanks

Vincent

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not sure if this info is useful to you. I have a 2004 Murano with non Bose (base) headunit. I installed a USA Spec CD changer (I think it is SCD-N66E). I unplugged the SAT cable that I have no use of, and plugged the cable from the CD changer directly to the HU. The HU recognizes the CD changer. The CD button on the HU toggles between the CD changer and the built-in single CD. The display shows the CD, track, and time info. I can also use the control on the steering wheel to change the volume, skip/forward track, and change the CD on the CD changer. However, the volume control (on both HU and steering wheel) is not perfect and does not response after a few minutes of playing, which can be re-activated by turning off or change to the next disc. (holding the next button on the steering wheel control) It does not bother me too much as I don't change volume often. The other controls (next track, next disc) work perfectly. USA Spec makes an AUX interface for GM, but I think it should work for Nissan if you already got the Nissan cable... see this link:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-QDSC6L....asp?g=227450&id=essential_info&i=581DFGM#Tab

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi All,

I'm now trying to implement plan B:
I'm using a com port on my PC (yep, still have one...) to send commands to phatbox (with max RS232 converter + inverting buffer) while I monitor all lines on the phatbox connector.

Now I can use some knowledge from Jaak here : what's the headunit sending to the satradio at startup? (still didn't get my harness so I can't ask my murano...)
In some of Jaak posts I've seen
[RAD] - 02 30 03 33 04 Query for attached modules
or
RADIO - 00 06 06

Well, I wish fportela had come up with something. Any luck here ?

Now to answer you acefr:
- I already read somewhere that SCD-N66E works with Mo, but it's always good to know
- You need a special interface for Mo, there are a lot of people on the forum talking about it. But it means that, even If I figure out the pinout for the phatbox, I'll still need to do some electrical conversions...
Oh, btw, would you sell your now unused SAT harness ??

Vincent

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am going to install an amp to drive my component speakers probably in mid June.(still waiting for my amp to arrive) If I can get the SAT cable out, then I don't mind selling it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi vince, sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I don't log into G35Driver all that much these days.

Yes, the majority of the nissan interface cable is an unbalanced-to-balanced audio line level converter.

If I were trying to roll my own Phatnoise Nissan cable, I would probably start with something like the Nissan AUX kit that already deals with the balanced audio signal problem and then hack from there. I think the rest of the pins are just straight through to the Phatnoise components. At least thats the impression that I got from the guy at Phatnoise. I also got the impression that really old Phatboxes lack the hardware needed for Nissan communication.

I did upload Nissan firmware into a VW phatbox and it worked just fine in my car. And yes, the Phatbox was approved for Murano use when they sold the cable. In fact, there was a CD-Text version of the firmware that I think worked best with Murano.

Getting pinouts for you is going to be tough because that interface cable uses such small pins. Suggestions?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi DJRobX, yep it's been a while !!
I still have an open Phatbox on my desk and my effort to reverse engineer the serial com didn't quite work; For the audio I'm not too worried

I wish I could find a NISSAN cable but can't locate any (They must be a dealer somewhere with leftovers)

At any rate, I know the connector is quite dense but figuring out the pinout would be really helpful.
- Maybe the connector to the phatbox is not injected plastic and the housing can be removed, you would see which pins out of the 26 are actually wired
- What does the dongle on the cable look like ? is it easy to open up ? if so you can beep it. How about a hi res picture of the inside ?

Thanks

Vincent

1 - 14 of 14 Posts